Monday, October 10, 2016

RE-LEASING MY BURDENS


Lately I've been doing a lot of reading.

Seems like being sick has a way of slowing life down, and reading is a good way to pass the time.

So I've been learning, listening, lounging –

And I read something that I wrote four years ago that really spoke to me again.

I thought I'd share it with you today…

I had just read something that a friend wrote that triggered a deep response in my heart.  She was talking about *letting go* of a particularly difficult situation in her life.

About how hard it was for her to do that.  

How relinquishing control was often a moment-by-moment process.

How well I related.

So tired, wanting and waiting to release the burden of care that she was carrying.

Yes, I got it.

Those of us who are parents will totally understand the weight of love and concern that we have for our children.  (By the way, those of you who aren't parents still care for other people deeply – you will also understand what I'm talking about).

And we should care.

If we ever took that job of parenting seriously, we will care…deeply.

But sometimes we can get overburdened, overwhelmed, overcome by the things we care about.  Especially when we face the ugly fact that we have little control over another person's circumstances, pain and suffering, thoughts and feelings.

I often find myself being the "emotional burro" of the family.

Might I just say in my defense that I come by that role naturally.

I am the first-born child, and oldest daughter of a first-born son and an only child (my parents).  I am also the first-born grandchild of two first-born sons (my grandfathers) – and the oldest cousin in my family.  (Might I just add that both of my parents were also the oldest grandchildren and oldest cousins on one side of their families).

Yup.

Overly responsible.
Overly conscientious.
Overly…everything.

(Sign me up for Overachievers Anonymous)

The weight I carry for others – especially for my sons, my family – can be heavy, heavy at times.

Now, as a believer and a follower of Jesus, I know that I am not in charge.  (I'm not, right?  Funny how I keep having to check on that…)

The Lord is in infinite control of all things, and all people.

So, I know that my spiritual mandate is to allow Him to have that control.

To exhibit my yielding to His sovereignty by trusting and obeying Him.

I really, really try to do that.

But I am struck by the spiritual irony that I am now actually striving to rest. 

Silly, huh?


As I pondered what my friend wrote, I thought about that word *release*.

The definition of lease is this (taking out the specific legal stuff so it makes sense emotionally!):

A contract by which one party conveys (transfers) [something or someone] to another...

In that sense, God is asking me, inviting me, even commanding me, to do just that.

To make a contract with Him to convey all my *stuff* to Him.

When I thought about that, releasing my burden actually becomes...

RE-leasing. 

Stopping once again to hand over to Him all those things that burden me.

To once again move into that place where I abide with Him.

Where I allow the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to comfort and calm me.

I re-lease in order to once again find peace.


It's not easy for this crazy first-born.  

Very often I find myself *taking back* all the people and situations that I thought I had given to the Lord.

(Evidently, some of the things that I think I "nail to the cross" are actually just thumb-tacked…or loosely held on with Post-It notes…just sayin').

But, God is calling this overly responsible, overly conscientious mother to give it ALL to Him.

Yes.


Today, though with a troubled heart and an anxious spirit, I will re-lease it all to Him who loves me. 

I will transfer my troubles, my worries, my situations and circumstances, my health, my finances, my family – my past, my present, and my future – every detail, every moment into His loving and capable hands.

Praying you will, too.


Lord, to whom would we go? 

You have the words that give eternal life.




Is there a burden that God is asking you to re-lease to Him?







One more time
He lightens up my load,
In the night of deep despair
my faith keeps telling me
He's there,
Waiting to answer prayer
one more time.


(From "One More Time" by the Downings)




A Conversation with Jesus (based on Scripture):


"I know that you are weary and carry heavy burdens, Sharon."

"Oh Lord, yes, my burdens are heavy and I am so very tired, so weighed down by the worry and care and concerns that I bear."

"This is why I bid you to come to Me.

I will give you rest."

"Rest sounds so nice, Lord.  And yet, it seems impossible to my weary soul."

"Then take My yoke upon you.  Let me share the burden.

Let Me teach you the meaning of true peace.

I am humble and gentle, and I will be tender-hearted as I lead you, and you will find rest for your soul.

My yoke is easy to bear."

"Lord, what do you mean?  Yokes are heavy and confining, they weigh you down.  And the yoke of caring right now is overpowering to me."

"Oh Sharon, don't you understand?  The yoke is not a symbol of pain, but of partnership.  I will carry the load if you align yourself with Me."

"Yes, Lord, I do strive to walk on my own path."

"Sharon, the Father has entrusted everything to Me.

Including every detail, every moment of your life.

So cast the whole of your care – all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns – once and for all, on Me.

For I care for you affectionately and I care about you watchfully.

I love you."

"I love You, too, my Jesus, my Friend."

"Then cast your cares on Me, and I will sustain you.  I will never let you be shaken.  I will not permit you to slip and fall.  I will never allow you to be moved.

Follow Me.

And all will be well.

Trust Me."

"Yes, Lord..."

(Based on Matthew 11:27-30, 1 Peter 5:7, and Psalm 55:22)



"Thus it is the duty and interest of weary and heavy-laden sinners, to come to Jesus Christ…Whoever will, let him come.  All who thus come will receive rest as Christ's gift, and obtain peace and comfort in their hearts. 

But in coming to him they must take his yoke, and submit to his authority. They must learn of him all things, as to their comfort and obedience.  He accepts the willing servant, however imperfect the services.  Here we may find rest for our souls, and here only. 

Nor need we fear his yoke. His commandments are holy, just, and good.  It requires self-denial, and exposes to difficulties, but this is abundantly repaid, even in this world, by inward peace and joy.  It is a yoke that is lined with love.

So powerful are the assistances he gives us, so suitable the encouragements, and so strong the consolations to be found in the way of duty, that we may truly say, it is a yoke of pleasantness.  The way of duty is the way of rest.  The truths Christ teaches are such as we may venture our souls upon.  Such is the Redeemer's mercy; and why should the labouring and burdened sinner seek for rest from any other quarter? 

Let us come to him daily, for deliverance from wrath and guilt, from sin and Satan, from all our cares, fears, and sorrows."

(Matthew Henry Commentary)



Linked with:

SMALL WONDER, MONDAY'S MUSINGS, MONDAYS AT SOUL SURVIVAL, LIFE GIVING LINKUP, GOOD MORNING MONDAYS, THANK GOODNESS IT'S MONDAY, THE ART OF HOMEMAKING MONDAYS, MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY, MODEST MONDAY, MOTIVATION MONDAY, INSPIRE ME MONDAY, LIVING PROVERBS, MOMENTS OF HOPE, GLIMPSES LINKUP, TELL ME A TRUE STORY, RICH FAITH RISING, TESTIMONY TUESDAY, TUESDAY TALK, RA RA LINKUP, TEACHING WHAT IS GOOD, TELL HIS STORY, WISE WOMAN, CHRISTIAN BLOGGER COMMUNITY, WORD FILLED WEDNESDAY, THREE WORD WEDNESDAY, COFFEE FOR YOUR HEART, COFFEE & CONVERSATION, SITTING AMONG FRIENDS, FROM MESSES TO MESSAGES, GRACE MOMENTS, THANKFUL THURSDAYS, LIVE FREE THURSDAY, THURSDAY FAVORITE THINGS, HEART ENCOURAGEMENT THURSDAY, SHINE BLOG HOP, THOUGHT-PROVOKING THURSDAY, FROM HOUSE TO HOME, GRACE AT HOME, THOUGHTFUL THURSDAYS, LITTLE THINGS THURSDAY, HEARTS FOR HOME, NO RULES WEEKEND BLOG PARTY, 100 HAPPY DAYS, BLOGGER SPOTLIGHT PARTY, FRIENDSHIP FRIDAY, EVERYDAY TESTIMONY, SPIRITUAL SUNDAYS, FAITH 'N FRIENDS, MAKE MY SATURDAY SWEET, GRACE & TRUTH, DANCE WITH JESUS, TGI SATURDAYS, FRIDAY FEATURE PARTY, WEEKEND WIND DOWN PARTY, WORD OF GOD SPEAK, SMALL VICTORIES SUNDAY, GIVE ME GRACE



BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

38 comments:

  1. I am like you, Sharon, the burden carrier of my family, though I am the youngest and second youngest cousin. I have given and taken so much in my life to God. I give something to him and a minute later take it back. This current thing we are dealing with, I realize I have absolutely no control over it, I am learning to completely release it ti him, but irs a tough kesson to do so.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely you must know that I have been there more times than I care to admit. I think just about every believer has or still is going through this with someone they are in close a relationship with. It takes a long time, sometimes a lifetime to get to where we don't do this anymore, even as much faith as we say we have. To keep giving it back is the key...never stop giving it back and each time that we do, and I can say from my personal experience that one day, the Lord does His "thing" and all is right with the world...until next time. Wouldn't it be grand if we were always able to do what that old hymn say..."Leave it there, leave it there, take your burden to the Lord and leave it there; If you trust and never doubt, He will surely bring you out— take your burden to the Lord and leave it there." Much love and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although we are never really in control, I'm not sure why we or shall I say I struggle so hard with giving it up. While I know God's hands are much better than my hand, I still can not help but want to get mine in the midst of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, Sharon, I'm a first born, but my parents weren't. Still, we #1s do tend to take charge and shoulder responsibilities that aren't really ours. It drains us, doesn't it? I'm so glad that I've learned to release my burdens to the One who can carry them for me.
    Oh, and I love that quote from Peter: Lord, to whom would we go?
    Thanking God for all His good gifts, and your inspirational reminder here today.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, dear friend! How true, how true. I love how you referred to yourself as the emotional burro of the family. How I can relate to this! It is so hard to release it all, and yet, how futile is our worry. Thank you for this precious, heartfelt post, and I cannot ever thank you enough for your dear encouragement for Zachary today. You will just never know how much it meant...to him and to me. We love and appreciate you SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every new day and every moment a worried or anxious thought pops up is my cue to once again turn it, or them as the case may be, over to God's capable hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, this is so good. (Also a first-born control freak.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the oldest daughter too. Great post. I am blessed to be your neighbor at Testimony Tuesday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You speak honestly of a struggle that belongs to all of us who are disciples of Christ, which is the constant battle between our flesh wanting control, and the spirit wanting to lead. As you spoke, keeping your focus on Jesus, instead of the problem, is really the only answer to walk on in victory each time these situations are like mountains in our life.

    I too am a firstborn, and understand what you speak of, but can assure you that there is indeed peace that can be found when you acknowledge that the Lord is the only one who can change anyone, even ourselves. I pray that the Lord continues to give peace and rest to your soul from the burdens that you are carrying. Hugs to you today :)
    http:/wwww.mountaintopspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sharon! (I hope you're feeling better now?) I am also an oldest girl, daughter of an oldest son. It's tough to have all that angst and anxiety, and none of it is earned! God wants me to be peaceful, and not afraid. I wonder why it's so hard to let go then?
    I think being at peace that way almost feels like I wouldn't understand the gravity of the situation. How can I NOT worry? It's a learning curve, but one I'd love to keep learning.
    Have a wonderful Tuesday,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a lot of things going on in our house now involving both of our children. I go over things in my head, I pray to God and I continue to go over these things in my head. My husband....not at all! He sleeps like a baby all night while I lay there going over these things in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha. This is what I do too, Sharon: “But I am struck by the spiritual irony that I am now actually striving to rest.” Praying for us to re-lease everything to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you, sister. How many times do we have to "re-release" our failing flesh and tendencies. You're definitely not alone and sharing in honesty helps the ones like me to do the same… and that's the whole purpose, isn't it?

    Thanks, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was part of two conversations I had this week with other moms. As we are still parenting and seeing that our children's adulthood is more of a roller coaster than when they were little, we all need to release to Him. Good word...totally get it...from this first born.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Releasing our burdens can be such a challenge, especially for over-achievers. I love the fresh perspective you give on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This first-born, over-achiever, over responsible woman can only say "Thank you!" and send a big hug to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved this Sharon! I struggle with being over-responsible as well and I am forever having to circle back around and cast upon Him what I unknowingly picked up as burdens to carry for my family and others. So true! Your description of the process with the Lord reminds me so much of my own in the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wish my oldest sister would read this! It is very hard for the oldest sibling but it's hard on the younger ones to watch them feel like they have to take on so much for our sakes. I must have told her hundreds of times not to worry about me. We all need Jesus, the burden bearer so all of our yokes are lighter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was truly inspirational. I'm almost incapable of admitting to myself that I can't control everything. I definitely need to release the things I can't control back to God.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sharon, I love this post! I so relate and identify with the releasing, relinquishing of my cares to Jesus...as I pray, I picture Jesus, my Shepherd, in the green pasture of the 23rd Psalm. I take whatever concern I have, or person for whom I am interceding by the hand. I walk out to the meadow, the green pasture, and I place my concern, or the hand of the person for whom I am interceding, in Jesus’ hand...knowing that He is sovereign, He loves me, and He loves the person for whom I am interceding more than I do. He has a plan, a hope, and a future for each of us. I walk away, thanking God for how the river of His Holy Spirit is flowing through me and how He is at work in my life and in the lives of those for whom I am interceding. I experience His peace. Praying as Catherine Marshall prayed, “Lord Jesus, I trust You, You know what You’re doing, I relinquish my will to Yours.” Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes often the oldest does become the burden bearer, the one who is the "example" the one who should know better, and is the responsible one. My mother was first born, and I never considered why she was always so serious. Then came me the first born. I am so glad Jesus means it when He says to cast our care on HIM. I am sorry you are still not feeling so good. Do get better quickly - - Sending love and prayers your way, and thank you for sharing with us here at Tell me a Story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sorry to hear you're ill, my friend. Praying for healing and release. Although I do not have children of my own I can relate to what your saying about responsibility. When I turned 45 I finally felt as if my age had caught up with my personality, lol. I've "felt" 45 all my life! God has taught me, and continues to teach me to re - lease my cares to Him. Resting in Him is a constant struggle, I'm ashamed to say. I'm always praying for Him to increase my faith, and He is, by His grace. And the struggle is becoming less. I pray the same for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sharon, I am sorry you have been sick. I, too, have found that the illness takes me down physically to which I often am grateful. Just to slow down and not DO...just BE. Then there is the weight being carried...how heavy it can be too. I have given and re-given and re-re-given and know that the Lord always takes it back and willingly. I am grateful for His love of this woman too. Thanks for the uplift today.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Casting all your cares on the Lord. Its's hard to do sometimes, but so worth it. Thanks for sharing with Thankful Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Praying for you too.....you nailed this post.....I've been using post it notes instead of nailing my burdens to the cross. Pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Catching up with you, dear one, and I can literally feel your pain. I was down for almost 3 weeks with the nose, throat, ear thingy--totally put me flat. I got better after a week, did a show, and had a relapse. Been working through tissue boxes and having good and bad days on the mend. Change of season and allergies upon me--but wondered it I didn't have a "bug" on top of it. Anything to knock us around in these days when vigilance in prayer is so critical. May you know God's healing graces as you soldier on. Hope Hubs hand is healing well, too. God is on the throne and He's got greater plans for us than we can imagine so hold fast and take joy!
    JOY!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Sharon - I do so miss you and being in touch! I really do hope you are better since looking at the date of this post (and others that I've missed and seeing comments from Oct. 10th up to the 19th with no post more recent) ... you still must need prayer for healing and strength, comfort and some 'umf' power or who knows - only God, yet I am praying for you.

    Now that I'm back in MN after a long and tumultuous trip since the beginning of Oct., you'd think my burdens would be less, yet in just this one week here, I have seen since the first 15 min. conversation with S. that life here, will be a {excuse my expression} a living hell, and your message here could not be more timely as to 'our children' {adopted daughter and her kids, in my case and/or S.} so I'm "overburdened, overwhelmed, overcome" and not even the first born like you ... just an "emotional burro" (and my, do I love your sweet little burro at the end and your chat with God, I've been having so many of those) ...

    Knowing God's in control, believing that He is, and waiting to see His purpose, control and eventual outcome(s) can be so burdensome and leave us seeking rest, refuge, re-lease (sigh)! Right now, all of other's problems, circumstances, etc. seem to be crashing down on me, and avoiding constant conflicts, trying to resolve and support those others, leaves me wide open for attacks and vulnerabilities that I have not had to deal with and now wonder about this "change" and move back (necessary but like you've written ... humongous burden, troubled heart, anxious spirit and feeling knocked out and down for the count ...) I do hope and pray both of us see some victory soon and are lifted up above our cares and concerns, weights and worries, sickness and weakness, so when we can get up each morning and our feeble feet hit the floor; the devil says "oh no, she's up!" and the power of the Holy Spirit invigorates us for another battle with the knowledge that the victory is won so let's stand and face all of this in God's strength, wisdom, protection and guard over our hearts and minds and these human vessels we call bodies. May God show His mightiness and healing strength!

    Love you and sending a hug with prayers, thanking you for the same as I catch up and read through or sort through over 300 emails for the ones I value like your comments and support, As always~Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW ... and no Grateful thoughts either for quite some time ... my, oh, my Sharon ... hope and pray this reading and re-lease comes soon! Healing under His wings, my dear sis... please take care, I love you Sharon! {this has me a little more concerned now}

      Delete
    2. Funny (or SO GOD...) that this was my PASSION email for today when I come and read your "re-leasing burdens":

      "I HEAR HIS WHISPER...
      "I know the burdens you carry"

      Come to Me and rest, My beloved one. Find peace from the trouble of your day. I know your responsibilities are many and I know the burdens you carry are great. So come to Me, and I will be your hiding place, your shelter in the midst of the storm. My heart will be your refuge. Call Me your shepherd and I will carry you. Call Me your friend and I will listen to your heart’s cry. Call Me your redeemer and I will bring restoration to your soul. Absorb My peace this very day.

      Busying yourself with many things will bring distraction and discouragement. But when you come to leave your busyness with Me, I will bring you to My chamber, where everything is at peace. The expectations of others will drown out My song of grace over your life. Listen in stillness to My lyrics of love and you will soar above the many disappointments of your journey. Call Me your strength and My invisible power will be seen in your life.

      Never be limited by the feelings of weakness. I know the burdens you carry, burdens of past failures and the fear of inadequacy as you ponder your future. I am here with you this very moment to be more than a companion—I will be the Lord of love and the God of every tender mercy.

      I am drawn to your weakness, beloved, for grace is My constant passion—to show you that My grace is more than enough. Rise from the place of despair and betrayal, and come to Me. Call Me your burden bearer and leave all of your burdens at at My feet. You will rise up with strength and be surrounded with peace. The comfort of My grace is with you, My child."

      Delete
  28. Burdened for the nation. Releasing all things in prayer--doing all to stand and then . . . STANDING. God's not finished with us, yet, and there are yet great things on the horizon. Lifting up my eyes to see the Salvation of the Lord in all these things--burdens lifted--justice prevailing for His glory.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear Friend! I am worried about you and just dropping by to say that I hope all is well. It isn't like you to not post for a while, so I do trust you are okay. If I can do anything for you, please email me and let me know. I love and appreciate you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sharon, You have been on my heart for several days, and I know that is a sign to pray. I am praying for you dear one. Love you much.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just a note to say "Happy Thanksgiving" to you and your sweet family. I know you have enjoyed being together today. Miss you and love you so much. God bless you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. An impressive share, I just now with all this onto a colleague who had been doing little analysis about this. And he in truth bought me breakfast due to the fact I discovered it for him.. smile. So i want to reword that: Thnx with the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending some time to talk about this, I feel strongly regarding this and love reading much more about this topic. If possible, as you grow expertise, do you mind updating your site with an increase of details? It truly is highly useful for me. Large thumb up because of this article! thanksgiving puns

    ReplyDelete
  33. This could be the appropriate blog for anyone who really wants to learn about this topic. You know much its practically challenging to argue together with you (not that I really would want…HaHa). You certainly put a fresh spin with a topic thats been discussed for years. Fantastic stuff, just great! Ramadan Messages

    ReplyDelete
  34. Shania Twain for me is the best country music singer of all times, I also like Taylor Swift but nothing will beat Shania Twain., Good Friday Status

    ReplyDelete
  35. There is noticeably a bundle to comprehend this. I assume you made particular nice points in functions also. Good Friday Messages

    ReplyDelete
  36. This could be the appropriate blog for anyone who really wants to learn about this topic. You know much its practically challenging to argue together with you (not that I really would want…HaHa). You certainly put a fresh spin with a topic thats been discussed for years. Fantastic stuff, just great! Mothers Day 2019

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)