“The Hub” and I just got back from a few days' vacation in Utah.
We went to a Western Festival.
We absolutely LOVE all things having to do with the Old West!!
“The Hub” has been told, many a time, that he looks like Sam Elliott. (He does!) So, he has put together a whole “Virgil Earp” outfit (Sam Elliott played Virgil in the movie “Tombstone”) – complete with badge, holster, and gun (it’s a replica!!). I dress up in a lavender satin “city girl” dress, with lace gloves and a feather headband.
We are quite the pair!
One of our favorite things to do at this event is visit with the “stars.”
Those of you who are “Empty-Nesters” will probably remember such movie and TV stars as Peter Brown, James Drury, Don Collier, Denny Miller, Lee Meriwether, Wyatt McCrea (grandson of Joel McCrea), and Clint Walker.
Well, we got to visit with them all!
And the one thing that always impresses us is how very kind and respectful these people are. They are genuinely interested in all you have to say to them, and they are generous with their time. They truly embody what is known as
“The Code of the West.”
There are many versions of the “Code” – but they all have one thing in common.
They closely parallel Biblical principles.
So, without further ado, here’s a short version of “The Code of the West” – and a verse from Scripture that corresponds with it:
1. Live Each Day with Courage – “…be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)
2. Take Pride in Your Work – “Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord…” (Colossians 3:23)
3. Always Finish What you Start – “Now you should finish what you started. Let the eagerness you showed in the beginning be matched now…” (2 Corinthians 8:11)
4. Do What Has to Be Done – “Fear God and obey his commands, for this is everyone’s duty.” (Ecclesiastes 12:13)
5. Be Tough, But Fair – “This is what the LORD says: Be fair-minded and just. Do what is right!” (Jeremiah 22:3)
6. When You Make a Promise, Keep It – “The godly are directed by honesty…” (Proverbs 11:5)
7. Ride for the Brand – “So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ…” (2 Corinthians 5:20)
8. Talk Less and Say More – “…I will watch what I do and not sin in what I say. I will hold my tongue…” (Psalm 39:1)
9. Remember That Some Things Are Not For Sale – "You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body." (1 Corinthians 6:19, 20)
10. Know Where to Draw the Line – “Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation.” (Matthew 26:41)
If it's not yours, don't take it.
If it's not true, don't say it.
If it's not right, don't do it.
“Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.” (Philippians 4:8)
Happy Trails, ‘lil pardners…
See you on down the trail!
BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"