Saturday, August 14, 2010

QUAINT WORDS

Since I got good response last week...(Drumroll, please...!)

I've decided to make "Quaint Words" a weekly post on Saturdays!

TA DA!!!

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!


"A little probing often reveals bitterness in the heart, a great wrong which it seems impossible to forgive, a spirit of envy or dislike of some one which makes his success a source of discomfort and his failure an unconfessed satisfaction. When this has been laid before God, generally in private prayer, not in general terms but with specific mention of the individual's name, an awareness of God breaks out in the soul. This is entirely natural. It is necessary to agree with God in his feeling about an individual who has done wrong or suffered a wrong, in order to have any peaceful awareness of his presence. It is impossible to work with God for a friendly world so long as there is an unfriendly state of heart."

(From "What It Means to Be a Christian" by Edward Increase Bosworth, c. 1922)


(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

3 comments:

  1. Amen! Mr. Bosworth is right. Sin is always a roadblock to our relationship with God. We must be willing to be open and confess our sins before God so we can move on and do what He has planned for us.

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon,

    I like this quote, "It is necessary to agree with God in his feeling about an individual who has done wrong or suffered a wrong, in order to have any peaceful awareness of his presence." -- How can I be truly right with God if my heart is bitter towards another?

    Thanks for sharing Bosworth this morning Sharon.

    Have a peaceful and blessed weekend.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen...may we keep our hearts from this "unfriendly state"....

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)