Thursday, August 19, 2010

FIVE "W's" - AND AN "H"

Newsflash: Satan is alive and well…and he’s been busy.

He has visited most of my friends lately. Most of them are trying to speak out for the Lord. And Satan doesn’t like it. He’s been hurling spears of self-doubt into their hearts. Shooting arrows of self-condemnation into their minds. Exploding grenades of suffering into their spirits. Bringing bombshells of life-changing surprises to their souls.

Discouragement, defeat, despair.

He’s been after me, too.

Not in big ways – but in a thousand little ways – the “drip-drip” of anxiety that has worn me down, the steady hissing of those errant thoughts that get carried away, the temptation to worry about…EVERYTHING!

Including this blog…

You see, I had some computer problems this week…

And the incessant record started playing loudly…

What if my blog disappears?
What if no one can read it anymore?

(Followed quickly by these thoughts)

What if no one wants to read it anymore?
What if I say something wrong?
Or, oh no, what if I run out of ideas?

What if, what if, what if…

I found myself fretting about all kinds of issues. And then I realized I was striving to make this blog work…

So I looked up “striving” in Kirby’s Acrostic Dictionary:

S haron
T rying
R eally
I nsanely and
V ainly
I nstead of
N eeding
G od

Oh, Lord…forgive me.

Then He spoke to me:

“Sharon, you do your part, and I’ll do Mine. Just listen to Me, and I’ll do the rest.

I’ll decide who reads these words.
I’ll decide what you should say.
I’ll decide when to say it.
I’ll decide where these words travel.
I’ll decide why this blog is here...
(part of the reason is for what I want to teach YOU, Sharon)

I’ll decide how to get MY message out there.

Just give it to me, and LET IT GO…”

I was reminded yet again, that this is not MY blog, it belongs to God. And the privilege of serving Him is just that – a privilege.

Computer problems will not thwart the purposes of God. He will guard His Word as it travels through us. We must just do OUR part, and LET IT GO…the rest is up to Him.

After all, Satan may be the “prince of the power of the air,” but our Almighty God is KING!

“So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest…” (Matthew 9:38)


Where are you "striving" in your life - what is God asking you to LET GO?



BLOG = “Blessedly Leaning On God!”

9 comments:

  1. Oh girl, I SOOOOOO get what you are saying here! And I'm reminded of Jeremiah (probably my favorite prophet). He suffered many trials & tribulation & despair & disgust & had to do it on his own (remember, God told him not to marry). The thing that resonates most is...don't take your eyes off what God calls you to do. He just asks you to DO, the RESULTS are up to Him.

    If He's called you to do this blog for Him, yes indeed, he will ensure that it reaches exactly who He wants it to reach. He's good at that ;o}! I SOOOO love the "I'll do my part" list He gave you. (I gotta print that out to use as a bookmark in my Bible!)

    Hang in there. I'm praying for you. Hugs ~ Merana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon,

    I battle with anxiety and self-doubt so I can identify with this post. I read your comment to me this morning and the Holy Spirit reminded me of a passage of scripture which has been of tremendous encouragement to me. John the Baptist said this of Jesus Christ:

    "He must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30)

    I have adult children and you know as a parent, no matter how old they get, they are still my children. I've had to learn to trust God to influence and direct the lives of my children; recognizing that He must increase, while I must decrease.

    I thank God that He enabled our paths to cross. You've extended Christian friendship and fellowship to me and it's most appreciated; your writing encourages me.

    I'm praying for you as well.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,
    I'm sorry you've been experiencing difficulties with your computer, (I think it's the system, cuz my followers didn't want to show up today) and anxiety and self-doubt--I can really relate, but gratefully, I am not experiencing it now, but I went through a huge "feeling like a failure" time very recently. Thanks for the acrostic, which I'm sure somehow I could put my name into:) You are so right: Your blog (AND MINE!) are the Lord's. He'll bring those He wants to come, He'll build them if He so chooses, He'll lead us and show us what He wants us to say, if we commit and submit our blogs to Him. Thanks for the great reminder! And you were powerfully used on my blog on Monday!! Satan doesn't like that, but we must resist the devil and he will flee from us! I'm praising the Lord for you and how God has used you in my life in such a beautiful way!
    Keep looking up, Sharon, and trust Him!
    Wendy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big fat AMEN from the AMEN corner in Georgia!
    This is a blog that I visit because God speaks here. No weapon formed against it will prosper.

    If only one person is able to read a certain post, it will be the one person whom God directs here. (Since that's generally yours truly, I'm thinking that God has a lot to say to me.)

    Speaking to myself here: Stop striving, Debbie.
    Be still and know that I AM.

    Great one, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon,
    You and I were on the same page today for sure! The enemy is really hitting with anxiety, self-doubt, and pride.
    Thank you for sharing the acrostic, and the great reminder that our blogs belong to the Lord! I think I'll copy your post and pin it up near my computer!
    From My Heart to Yours,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, I've felt those spears and arrows as well. I love this post. I love it because it is a great reminder of where our real power comes from. In fact, it's not our power, but God's.

    Blessings
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon...this is so on the mark...I have wrestled with these thoughts before, too...and the Lord spoke to me the same assurances He spoke to you...all for Him...and nothing in vain....

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Lord has brought me a great blessing today.

    When I looked up the definition for all of you in Kirby's Acrostic Dictionary, I found this:

    W onderful
    W arm
    W ise
    W itty
    W arriors of the Lord who
    H elped Hold me up today!

    I KNOW that at least one of the reasons for this blog is that God wanted to bring all of you into my life. I cannot begin to tell you how much your words of encouragement mean to me. I praise God for the friendships, close and real friendships, that God has developed through this tool of blogging.

    So, dear friends, you have made a difference in my life...thank you.

    "The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole body. So it is with the body of Christ...we all share the same Spirit...all the members care for each other." (From 1 Corinthians 12)

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would miss your blog. My blog can have me a little in knots too at times. It is a way we can fellowship and communicate and we want it to be a blessing.

    Yours certainly is a blessing to me.

    What am I striving for? Striving to die to my flesh lol. Not an easy task! :P

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)