Wednesday, August 25, 2010

LESSONS FROM A BEAGLE - Part Three

The last thing I learned about God from Marty is this –

God NEVER lets go of us.

Marty has a retractable leash. It can be stretched out to about 25 feet. It allows Marty to run ahead, or lag behind. He has a certain amount of freedom on it. He can even wander off into the bushes for a while, but he can never get lost or run away.

That’s because, AT ALL TIMES, my son has a firm hold on that leash.

Marty is ALWAYS under his watchful eye, and Marty can never get away from him.

That’s how God’s love is we can never get away from it.

God does allow us freedom in our lives, freedom to make choices – either for good or bad reasons. We have the capability to run all the way to the end of the leash, even to “run off into the bushes for a while.”

I’ve been a believer practically my whole life – but I have had times in my life when I stretched that leash of God’s to the end. I was so eager to lead my own life, that I ran ahead, lagged behind, and yes, even ran off into those pesky bushes for a time!

But, even during those times of wandering, I was still firmly attached to God’s hand – He still held me with His love.

Psalm 139:7-12: “I can never escape your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence! If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there…if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me. I could ask the darkness to hide me…but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.

We are ever, ALWAYS, under the watchful eye of God, and firmly held in His grasp.

I find that to be an AMAZING statement!!

We can choose to look at God’s leash like Marty looks at his – not as an instrument of restriction, but as a tether of trusting reassurance. God, a loving God, a GOOD God, has us in His firm control, leading us on our “walk of life,” and He will NEVER LET GO!

Romans 8:38-39: “And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrownot even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below – indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God has a firm hold on us, and we can never escape from His watchful eye, or His loving hand.

I am grateful for God's "retractable leash" - a “LEASH” that stretched all the way from Heaven, down to the cross, and is now firmly attached to me!

Thank you, Lord, for NEVER LETTING GO!


P.S. Thank you, Lord, for Marty - and for the lessons he teaches me
about YOU!


BLOG = “Blessedly Leaning On God!”

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,

    The past three days have given me insights and assurances of God's magnificent love and grace.

    As I read Psalm 139, I just found myself humbled as I realized "Yes! The Lord watches over me, He really is my Sheperd."

    Blessing and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite line:
    "I am grateful for God's "retractable leash" - a “LEASH” that stretched all the way from Heaven, down to the cross, and is now firmly attached to me!"

    That made me want to cry and shout AMEN at the same time.

    I loved the entire Marty series of posts, Sharon. You have the grace gift of seeing God's lessons in the every day things.

    I feel so blessed to have found this blog.

    I *think* that I love the leash one the best of all. Probably because I know how far I stretched the leash and know how powerful was the hand that held it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And oh great... a fragement on an English major's blog, and I can't even claim creative license. Thunk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect...especially if you have ever used a leash like that...stretched from heaven to me. You got to love that! Marty is an excellent teacher and you, an excellent writer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I really liked this..."a tether of trusting reassurance.". That is such a blessed assurance, to be firmly attached to the Master's gentle hands....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks you guys!

    Glad you enjoyed the "Marty Series" - he and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. I'm sure there will be more posts in the future about him - he has a way of teaching me things. Maybe sometime I'll let HIM do a post - he'd probably like that!

    Aren't we just SO BLESSED to have the Lord?!?!?!

    If the last three days have brought you an increased awareness of God's gracious and loving Hand, and a greater appreciation for His watchful care, then I am grateful for that.

    I might also add that God's "leash" has also stretched down TO us and then THROUGH us to each other!! I appreciate you all so much.

    p.s. Debbie, no worries - the English major AIN'T all it's cracked up to be! HA!!

    Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sharon -

    Great illustration!

    Lord, please help us to stay out of the bushes.

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)