Saturday, August 28, 2010

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!”

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

"To some the love of the ringing praises of men made strong appeal and they forgot that the silence of death hushes all but the voice of God. Others some the love of bodily ease set a-hungering for the delicacies of this world and sapped their stalwartness in their service of their King. Yet others again have let the love of a fellow-creature steal in upon a heart that should have had a single Lover and Him upon the altar-throne. So they all let other and mean loves come into their lives and cheat their God of an undivided heart.
Oh, if such our lives have been and are, as we look towards death, do not our minds keep saying: 'And after that - the dark?' But, if with God's help we have learned that 'the end of the commandment is love,' that all the fulfillment of our lives lies in 'knowing and loving and serving Him in this life,' then as the grave comes nearer and nearer to us, we know - 'and after that - the light' - the light of the eternal love of God...and the welcoming smiles of those that have gone before and sleep the sleep of peace.
Jesus, save me from my own heart's truancy. I know it well that You must be the only object of my love and in my thankful moments I would have it always so - but then! Away I go, back to the tinseled, loud-mouthed world, and many, many a time my heart is weaned from You, at least in little things. Teach me, dearest Master, teach this backward child that Yours is the only love worth having, that You and Heaven are the only goals worth striving for."

(From "My Changeless Friend" by Francis P. Le Buffe, c. 1921)


(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)



BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

4 comments:

  1. Love this! I, too, love the old expressions and way of speaking. I have a book of Christian Classics which has treasure after treasure.

    My favorite part of this one:
    "Jesus, save me from my own heart's truancy."

    Awesome! It reminds me of my favorite Hymn (Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing) where it says, "Let thy grace, now, like a fetter bind my wandering heart to thee."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my favorite part..."the silence of death hushes all but the voice of God."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed today's Quaint Words. You both picked two of my favorite parts, too!

    I also liked this part:
    "Yours is the only love worth having...You and Heaven are the only goals worth striving for."

    May He keep our wandering hearts close to Him (retractable leash?!?) - and may we keep our eyes on "home" and the One who loves us.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this post. I'm laughing at your comment above about a retractable leash - probably would be a good idea!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)