Tuesday, August 17, 2010

NOT A PRETTY PICTURE

OK, here goes...my list of some things that DO NOT paint "a pretty picture":

1. Me - first thing in the morning.

2. "The Hub" - first thing in the morning...Sorry, hon!

3. A slightly overweight cable guy bending over to "check a few wires."

4. An unknown bowl of "fuzz" in the fridge.

5. A COLEN ("Change-of-Life Empty-Nester") in a bikini.

6. OK, I'm just gonna say it...most NORMAL women in a bikini.

7. A Christmas fruitcake (sorry, all you people who bake or cook or do whatever it takes to make a fruitcake).

8. Mel Gibson's (or insert any celebrity) latest booking photo.

9. Trash at the beach.

10. The bottom of my trash can.

11. My hair the day BEFORE I get it colored (think skunk, 2-lane highway, 50-yard line, etc).

12. A dead spider in your sleeping bag.

13. A LIVE spider in your sleeping bag.

14. Me snoring - (it's an ugly secret - but it had to come out).

15. Gopher holes.

16. EVERYTHING on MTV!

17. Any casserole I "try" to make.

18. Camels - (I'm sorry...I just think they're weird-looking...and they spit).

19. "Pink Eye" - (I'm not sure where this came from...).

20. The replay of Joe Theismann breaking his leg (football fans will be wincing right now).

21. Most people's feet - think about it...


Here's something that shouldn't paint a pretty picture...

"By this time it was noon, and darkness fell across the whole land until three o'clock. The light from the sun was gone...[Jesus] said, 'It is finished' Then he bowed his head and released his spirit...Jesus shouted, 'Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands!' And with those words he breathed his last." (From Luke 23 and John 19)

...but it's the most beautiful thing in the world!

"They found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance. So they went in, but they didn't find the body of the Lord Jesus...Then the men asked, 'Why are you looking among the dead for someone who is alive? He isn't here! HE IS RISEN from the dead!'" (From Luke 24)

Only God could choose the worst "picture" of human cruelty - the cross - and turn it into the most beautiful symbol of Love ever known!

Praise God for His gracious "reversals!"

"The message of the cross is foolish to those headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the VERY POWER OF GOD. As the Scriptures say, 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise and discard the intelligence of the intelligent...This foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God's weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength." (From 1 Corinthians)

P.S. For another "pretty picture" you might be interested in - check out my devotional "A LITTLE REMINDER" at Granola Bar Devotionals!


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,

    God does perform reversals doesn't He? Through Christ, the shame of the cross symbolizes the hope and joy of our salvation.

    Thanks for sharing the mental pictures today.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your list is fun, and I like how it leads up to Scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #11...seriously? Love how you tied all this in at the end....

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)