Monday, August 2, 2010

ASSISTED LIVING

I am very fortunate to be part of a wonderful ministry at a place called Freedom Village.

It's an assisted living facility. A team of four of us go in on Fridays, and lead a "church" service for the elderly. We sing hymns together - the "old" ones...the classics, as I like to call them! We pray together, and share together. The people I have come to know in the past year are like family to me now. Our dear "fellow-worshipers" are so grateful - they constantly tell us how much we bless them! But, the truth of the matter is, they bless us even more!

Some people might think that a place like Freedom Village is depressing.

I must admit, these dear souls do touch my soul with bittersweet feelings. And from week to week, one is never sure who's going to show up - who's made it another 7 days. We've lost 2 people this year - I will never forget them. Dear Martha, whose only request was to sing her favorite song, "How Great Thou Art." All of a sudden, one week we learned that she was singing her song face-to-face with her Savior. And Jo, who was thin as a rail, but always dressed like she was going to a fancy dinner. Beautiful makeup, lovely clothing, jewelry - she was classy! She was always so appreciative of everything we did for her. I can remember hugging her frail little body - I thought I was going to break her. I can't wait to hug her again in Heaven!

Moments of sadness, sometimes -

but when I go to Freedom Village, I am touched intimately by the Holy Spirit...and my spirit SOARS!

There is nothing quite so sweet as seeing people show up in varying degrees of mobility - some are wheeled in, some wander in with their walkers, some shuffle slowly through the door in their slippers - but ALL OF THEM are coming to the feet of the Lord to worship!! It brings me to tears every week! Their faithfulness speaks volumes to me. Jesus is the lover of all - young and old - and He irresistibly draws EVERYONE to Himself!

The Lord has taught me something else at Freedom Village - he's taught me what true "assisted living" is all about!

The people who live here have medical monitoring, and meals provided for them - they are able to participate in activities, and have the wonderful freedom of knowing that people are "looking out for them."

Isn't that the way we're supposed to live?

We aren't supposed to live on our own. We are to experience "assisted living" - living our lives with the constant and ever-vigilant help of the Holy Spirit. We aren't strong enough to live for Jesus by our own efforts. He knew that - that's why He didn't leave us alone.

HE SENT HELP!

"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth...No, I will not abandon you as orphans - I will come to you." (John 14:16-17)

The Holy Spirit is the presence of Jesus Himself within us. He helps us live the way God wants us to live. His strength is made perfect in our weakness. The Spirit gives us a whole new way to live our lives - "assisted living"...GOD'S WAY!



BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

4 comments:

  1. Your analogy is wonderful and your post made me smile...

    Assisted living and nursing hone ministries are so important...may the Lord bless you for all you do....

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big fat AMEN to this! I love it, and it has my mind just churning about it.

    When I sing the old songs with the elderly, there is always such a sweetness that fills the room. I have never been able to put my finger on it, but I think that much of it has to do with the simple trust of those singing.

    And now, your post has me humming "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus..."

    BTW, you made me laugh about shooting zebras this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon...a bit behind in my reading but I just love this!! I so relate as I visit with my seniors each week! You are blessing these old, dear ones in ways you'll never know...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea where you were heading with this post, and I have not an ouch of knowledge about baseball (not a huge sports fan, and we don't have baseball in Australia that I know of). I loved the ending and even had goosebumps when I read how "God showed up" when it was your turn.

    I loved it and I agree... I would be getting lots of strikes without God 'showing up' too.

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)