Monday, August 23, 2010

LESSONS FROM A BEAGLE - Part One

“The boys” are in their 20’s, and they aren’t married, so I don’t have any grandchildren yet. But three years ago, my youngest son bought an adorable beagle – so I like to tell people I have one terrific grand-dog!!
(Check out his picture on the sidebar!!)

From time to time, I am asked to “baby-sit” Marty (like I'm doing right now!).
I know, I’m a WONDERFUL mother…

But it doesn’t take any “arm-twisting” to get me to spend a few days with my favorite creature in the whole world (those with fur, anyway!)

Marty is very special – and he has taught me many lessons about love and faith and God. Over the next three days, I’m going to share some with you.

First of all, Marty has the most adorable way of letting us know when he’s hungry, or when he’s run out of water.

He has two dishes that sit in a holder. And when Marty needs something, he goes over to his bowls and taps on them with his paw. And then he sits there, staring at his bowls, waiting for someone to respond. If you don’t get up and take care of him, he’ll tap his bowls again. Sometimes he gets a little more insistent, and starts pushing the bowls around the room with his nose!

Now occasionally Marty has to wait a little longer for us to respond.

When that happens, he’ll come over to us, sit down by our feet, and wait expectantly for us to take care of his needsknowing that we will.

This gave me such a clear picture of how we should rely on GOD for ALL our needs.

Marty has relied on my son for everything, since the time when he was a tiny puppy. And this is how we should look to God – for He is the ONLY One who can take care of us, the ONLY One who fulfills every need.

Isaiah 58:9, 11: “Then when you call, the LORD will answer. ‘Yes, I am here,’ he will quickly reply…The LORD will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength.”

God is the One who takes care of us fully.

Philippians 4:19: “And this same God…will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.”

God is right there, beside us – the One who has watched over us since before we were born. He is the true source of life, the fulfillment of our spiritual thirst and hunger, the only One who gives us the nourishment that will fill the empty places in our souls.

All we have to do is talk to Him.

He is listening.

Praying is like Marty “tapping on his bowls.” It’s communicating to God what you need. Now, sometimes God doesn’t answer our prayers right away. Then, like Marty, we have to sit at the Master’s feet, having complete trust in the fact that He HAS heard us, and He WILL respond in His timing.

Trust Him, even when it means waiting.

“Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.” (Philippians 4:6)

Are you TAPPING ON THOSE BOWLS, my friends?!


BLOG = “Blessedly Leaning On God!”

12 comments:

  1. oh Sharon, you KNOW I would love this post! lol!!!

    What a smart baby Marty is!

    I love the analogy of tapping on the bowls. Marty seems to have got a good system going, and we can learn from him :D our 'system' though is called 'relationship' with our Master/Father/Creator lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon,

    Thanks for sharing a wonderful analogy of depending on God for our every need. I think it reaveals how lovingly the Lord allows us to see simple examples in life of building and maintaining our fellowship with Him.

    To have patience and trust, to learn to wait on the Lord. As I read your post, I thought of the passage in Isaiah, "Yet those who wait for the Lord Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary."

    Beautiful post my sister.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! I'm already looking forward to the next installment. I loved the visual of him/us tapping and then nudging. My favorite part is the picture of him sitting at the feet with expectation. Too often we are (OK...I am) guilty of replacing that third step with a little pout and retreat to the corner to see if the doggy eyes work.


    I love that picture with the remote control. SO cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoyed reading about Marty and the analogy with him waiting for his needs like we are to wait for our needs from the Lord as the Lord's timing is always the best one indeed! Marty sounds like a very cute dog too!

    I remember writing in a blog I probably deleted already (I'm good at that, LOL) one time about Koda sleeping and waiting by the garage door for hubby to come home from work. He knew hubby would be returning some time soon through that door, not exactly when he might want him to, but he would return in his own timing. I remember comparing it to how we are to wait on the Lord, patiently like Koda was waiting (somewhat) patiently for his bestest of buddies to come home.

    I think our dogs are great to teach us lessons if we just allow them to :)

    enjoy the day

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon,
    How funny! I just commented to Hubby last night that I ought to do a post on our wonder dog, Chip. Now, he's not as talented as your Marty--he doesn't tap the bowls when he wants food and water. But he does come and sit in front of us and stare. If we are busy, we hold out our index finger and say, "Wait one minute." He obliges us. I should be so trusting.
    And when he wants water, he'll pant in front of me. Somehow, he knows I'm the only one that gets what his panting means.

    Our dogs can teach us some great lessons about God and about God's unconditional love!

    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon,
    I will have a grand-dog boxer come next spring! Our son and daughter in law have put a deposit on a future litter. We have a dog from a puppy mill. He has taught us much about enjoying life on a daily basis and much about forgiveness too. We really love him. If a picture says a 1,000 words then the opposite must be true, because not only can I see Marty sitting at your feet or tapping on his bowls, but i can see myself sitting at the feet of Jesus. I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been "dogless" for three years now after 25+ years of at least one...sometimes two golden retrievers. I forget how much they can teach us about life. Thanks for sharing Marty and his "teachable" moments with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen...tapping away....

    Great post, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen! We have not because we ask not. Keep on tapping on God's door. He will always invite you in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have two dogs, and yes, they teach a lot of lessons. good job on this one.

    Linked here from Alisa's. You have a good blog. wb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone!

    I've had a fun day with Marty - and yes, it involved one "bowl tapping" incident!!

    Amanda: YES, I knew you'd like this post!!
    MTJ: I have to keep remembering that "waiting on the Lord" is the only way to gain new strength.
    Debbie: Marty has perfected "doggy eyes" too. I call it the "Pound Puppy Look."
    Betty: How do dogs know when their masters are coming? I think they sense it somehow. Reminds me of Jesus - can't you just sense Him coming?!
    Janis: I would LOVE to hear about Chip!!
    Anita: Congrats on your new arrival next spring! Yes, Marty has taught me so much about "sitting at Jesus' feet."
    Tina: Marty says he'll be happy to share his love with you!
    Karen: KEEP ON tappin'...
    Ron: I am SO GLAD that God has an "open door" policy!
    Warren: Welcome! So glad you stopped by. Thanks for your encouraging words!

    Tomorrow we talk about "cones."

    BLESS YOU ALL!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sharon -

    You are on point...we must wait on GOD's perfect timing. He always knows when it is best...

    Indeed this story has life - I can just picture Marty. I enjoyed this piece, Sharon.

    Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)