Wednesday, August 18, 2010

STOP SUCKING YOUR THUMB!

I've always been sorta envious of people who had these wonderful testimonies.

It's just that I thought "my story" was kinda plain and simple...

I became a believer when I was about 3 1/2 years old. I don't remember it. But my mom does! She is the "angel" who brought me to the Lord. I am literally "eternally" grateful!

It seems that it all started with a "thumb-sucking" incident.

Yup, the secret's out...

I was a habitual "thumb-sucker!"

My mom had tried everything to get me to stop. Pleading, bribery, threats (actually, knowing my mom, that NEVER happened). The old "put something sour on her thumb" didn't seem to help either. It just gave me a lifelong love of Sweet Tarts.

Tired of hearing people say things like...

"Isn't she a little old to be sucking her thumb?"
"You know, that can give her buck-teeth."
"Must have taken her off the bottle too soon..."
"What a dirty habit! You never know where her hands have been!"

...she decided to take a different tack.

The conversation went something like this (as she recounts it):

"You know, sweetie, you're a big girl now."

"Mmm...mmm (with thumb firmly stuck in my mouth)"

"Wouldn't you like to give up sucking your thumb?"

"Mmm...mmm."

"You know, there's Someone who can help you stop."

(This peaked my curious little mind - enough to remove my thumb,
by the way!)

"There is?"

"Yes, His name is Jesus. He wants to be your friend. He wants to live in your heart. And He can make you stop sucking your thumb."

"Really?"

"Yes, would you like Him to be your friend, and come into your heart to live forever and ever?"

"Forever and ever?!"

"Forever and ever!!"

"OH YES, I would like that VERY MUCH!"

And then my mom led me in a very simple prayer, in words a 3-year-old could understand, and I invited Jesus into my heart. I began my walk with Him that moment, and He has been with me ever since...

Oh yeah, from that moment on, I NEVER sucked my thumb again!!

It's a simple story, but it's my story...the way Jesus chose to meet me. All of us have a story - they're as different as fingerprints - as different as each unique person. Jesus is like that - He meets us at all stages of life, young and old and in-between, across all cultures and race, throughout the history of humanity - but, the wonder of all? HE MEETS US!

Maybe you have your own version of "sucking your thumb" - something you can't seem to get rid of on your own. Even as a 3-year-old, I knew that I needed SOMEONE bigger than me to help!

So, just talk to Him - He's your Friend. And He's waiting to meet you - in your need, in your pain, in your foolish ways, in your pride...in whatever place you find yourself...

...maybe for the first time.

" 'Yes, I am the gate. Those who come through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures. The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them...life.'
So there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death." (John 10:9-10 / Romans 8:1-2)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,

    Your post reminded me of my oldest daughter who sucked her thumb as a baby (she eventually grew out of it). When I look back I realize some of the comical attempts we tried to discourage her that only seemed to stimulate her need to do it.

    This is a good post on trusting the Lord with not only our needs but those of our loved ones as well.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one who suffers from CHRONIC unsecurity, I love this. I tend to hold on to those things which make me "feel" secure like thumb sucking. (I actually sucked my two first fingers much longer than you sucked that thumb. I met Jesus later than you too so that about makes sense... )

    He is not only the MOST secure thing in my life. He is the ONLY secure thing. So much better than a thumb!

    I love your salvation story. I know that I don't have to tell you how blessed you are to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this testimony! Today another blogger had made the comment that she thought her testimony should be rewritten because it wasn't like someone elses...our testimonies are as unique as we are...and the Lord God made all of us that way, so know that YOUR testimony is as much a blessing as someone else...

    On another note...I thought I had been responding with thanks to your sweet comments on my blog...just recently realized that when I hit reply and then send, the email was going to blogger instead of to you!

    So please know I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts...and if you share your email, I will be sure to use it to send my thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish that God would have saved me when I was 3 1/2, maybe I would of avoided a lot problems. It all boils down to Gods perfect timing and plan for his elect. He is in control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Yes, the bottom line is this: PRAISE GOD that we ARE saved!

    "We love Him, because HE FIRST LOVED US!" (1 John 4:19 - AMP)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still sick my thumb but want to stop I'm 26, ugh may He help me do it for Him bc I dont have motivation for myself.

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)