Friday, August 23, 2013

"FAN THE FLAME" FRIDAY - Broken


Welcome to "Fan the Flame" Friday.

This is a weekly post that will be "short and sweet" (kinda like me...)

Just a word and a question (or few)…just a little something to
"fan the flame" of your creativity!

And, to further fan those faith-filled flames (try saying that 10 times in a row!) – I'm adding my favorite devotional from the week!


Today's word: broken

What has broken your heart lately?

Why do you think God is especially close to those with broken hearts?

What comfort have you found in times when your heart is broken?

What is the one thing you would say to someone whose heart is broken?


Let me know what you think!!


"The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.  The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:17-18, NIV)

"He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds." 
(Psalm 147:3, NLT)

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is upon me, for the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed." (Isaiah 61:1, NLT)*

*This was also quoted by Jesus Himself as he read in the synagogue in Nazareth (cross reference: Luke 4:18).
      


DEVOTIONAL OF THE WEEK:

"Jesus had a big heart.  The Gospels are filled with stories of his touch...he healed because he had compassion on the ones who suffered.  This picture of the tender, sympathetic Jesus can sometimes...get lost...[But] Jesus' actions spoke volumes...If Jesus was truly the tenderhearted God we see in the Gospels, surely his heart has not changed...Let Jesus reach out and touch you, lovingly assuring you of how much he cares about your need.  Let the truth of his deep love for you fill your mind and body.  Ask for healing in his time and his way as he continues to teach you about himself."


*I would not trade my broken heart for the ability to know His love. 



"This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you…For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (2 Timothy 1:6-7)


(Devotional from: " Meet the Bible" by Philip Yancey and Brenda Quinn, c. 2000, Zondervan Publishers)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

10 comments:

  1. Recently I have dealt with a broken heart concerning my marriage. Jesus is close to the broken hearted, He has felt the pain of a broken heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like verse 3 from Psalm 147 - God Bless Sharon I know God is with you in the difficult times you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found myself broken heart about the wrong choices a family friend has made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this post in the shadow of your previous post tenders my heart so much.

    I don't have a brilliant answer here. All I know is that for me, sometimes a break follows a bruise, and sometimes it's sudden and just a fracture. It can be external (as in a relationship or something) or internal, when you just have that moment when you know that something has snapped in two.

    I loved a lesson from Beth Moore years ago. She had two people hold the ends of a rope, which she cut. Then she showed how God can tie it back together. She did it over and over, demonstrating that every tie He tied it back together, the two ends got closer.

    I loved it then, and I love it now. I really do believe that if we allow GOD to heal what's broken, he will not only restore the wholeness of it, but improve the closeness as well.

    Perhaps not that clear, but it's all I have today.

    I really and truly do pray for you, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon! Oh, I have been broken hearted about some of the choices I have made. I just got myself so busy, I didn't know if I was coming or going. Not good! Then I am so disjointed I'm no good for anyone, including myself.

    Thanks for this opportunity to Fan the Flame!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know my heart has been broken and still is a lot of time - and I guess I feel his answer is given me the strength to go on and recoup from each piece of brokenness - and to just go on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This week my heart was broken as I was dealing with my son who has a problem with alcohol. He is trying so hard to stay away from it and is so remorseful when he stumbles and falls, yet once again. I'm holding out for a holy intervention for him...he loves Jesus. It is a horrible demon to fight. I;m so grateful His mercies are new everyday...for him and for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just know when I a broken I feel Him pick me up and put me in His lap...Abba Father.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've found when I allow my broken heart to draw me towards God and His love, I am able to bear the pain. When I allow it to separate me from God it feels as if hope is gone. I've often wondered how others could bear their pain without a Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What has broken your heart lately?

    Watching my parents grow older, and all the many troubles and travails of that situation.

    Why do you think God is especially close to those with broken hearts?

    Because I believe He has experienced a broken heart Himself. I can't imagine the pain He felt when the Garden of Eden was invaded by sin, and His beloved humans turned away from Him. Nor can I believe the pain He felt when His Son died on the cross. And, I'm quite sure that I have broken His heart more than once by my bad choices.

    What comfort have you found in times when your heart is broken?

    Unspeakable comfort in the Word of God. Both His written Word, the Bible, and the words He speaks to me by His Holy Spirit. He reassures me of His presence and His love.

    What is the one thing you would say to someone whose heart is broken?

    Sometimes words are not enough. A good hug is often the best band-aid. But, I would only say these words: "God knows. He knows, and He cares."

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)