Monday, November 30, 2015

MARTY THE BEAGLE TALKS TO GOD


I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!

I ate too much, talked non-stop, had so much fun, and didn't get nearly enough sleep!

But hey, isn't that what the holidays are for?!

Unfortunately, I am also a bit brain-dead...

So I'm re-posting something written a few years ago.  I think it's timely, as it talks about being thankful.  

Grateful.

Appreciative for the things we have, and for who we are.

It's a letter to God from my grandbeagle, Marty.

Who is one of the most appreciative creatures I know...



Dear Mr. God,

This is me, Marty the Beagle.

I just have something to say to You…OK?

I think You are a pretty cool guy! 

I know that You made me, and You take care of me. 

Thanks for that.

But I have a few questions.

How come people go around not wagging their tails? 

I mean, I'm happy every day.  It doesn't matter to me if it's raining or if it's sunny.  I just like being alive.  I've got water and food and toys and people to love me.

And I've got You.

So, I'm good.  What else do I need?

But people – it's like they don't even know You're up there.

They walk around with their faces all scrunched up with worried looks. 

They like this green stuff, they call it money, really a lot.  I don't get it.  It just looks like green paper to me (if I had the chance, I'd eat it just like I do the newspaper!) 

Why do they care about it so much?

They're always rushing around in these machines with tires on them.  Don't they know that you can see so much more with your nose to the ground? Sometimes I hear one of them say, "Take time to stop and smell the roses."  I do that every day (along with all the other things I smell – I am a hound, after all!) 

Why are they always in such a hurry?

Then they wear all these fancy things called "clothes."  I know that their *people rules* include putting this stuff on.  But I think they've forgotten their fur.  You know, the particular colors that make them who they are.  I've got three colors on me.  Brown, black, and white.  I think I look pretty awesome, because that's how You made me.

Why don't they appreciate how You made them?


Just one more thing…cause I know You're busy.

I like my life.

I like it because You gave it to me, and You're with me every day.

I appreciate a bowl of water, a good feast of kibble, a lengthy nap, a cuddle with my people, a soft blanket, toys to chew on (it's so much fun trying to get that squeaker thing out), and a couple of long walks a day.

Why aren't people thankful?


I think they think too much…about stuff that doesn't really matter.

I think they feel too muchabout stuff that doesn't really matter.

Sometimes I don't think they know Youand You're all that really matters.


I don't think they wag their tails enough.


I'll go for now.  I'm thirsty, and I see a fly I'm going to try to catch.

Thanks for listening…I just had something to say to You.


Your friend,

Marty the Beagle


P.S.  Did I tell You that I think You are a pretty cool guy?!





All creatures
great and small,
The Lord God
made them all.

You care for people
and animals alike,
O LORD.
(Psalm 36:6)








"…God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him..." (Genesis 1:27, ESV)

"When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?  Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor." 
(Psalm 8:3-5, ESV)

"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb.  Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!  Your workmanship is marvelous – how well I know it." (Psalm 139:13-14, NLT)

"For we are God's masterpiece.  He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." (Ephesians 2:10, NLT)

"For the Lord sees not as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7, AMP)

"…beauty is something internal that can't be destroyed.  Beauty expresses itself in a gentle and quiet attitude which God considers precious." 
(1 Peter 3:4, GOD'S WORD)

"For the LORD your God...will take delight in you with gladness...He will rejoice over you with joyful songs." (Zephaniah 3:17, ESV)



Are you wagging your tail?!



Linked with:

PLAYDATES WITH GOD, SMALL WONDER, MONDAY'S MUSINGS, MONDAYS AT SOUL SURVIVAL, LIFE GIVING LINKUP, GOOD MORNING MONDAYS, GRATEFUL HEART MONDAY, REFLECT LINKUP, THE ART OF HOMEMAKING MONDAYS, TELL ME A TRUE STORY, TITUS 2 TUESDAY, TELL IT TO ME TUESDAYS, TESTIMONY TUESDAY, TUESDAY TALK, RA RA LINKUP, TEACHING WHAT IS GOOD, INTENTIONAL TUESDAY, UNITE LINKUPTELL HIS STORY, WHOLEHEARTED HOMEA LITTLE R & R WEDNESDAY, WORD FILLED WEDNESDAY, THREE WORD WEDNESDAY, COFFEE FOR YOUR HEART, WISE WOMAN, COFFEE & CONVERSATION, WOMEN WITH INTENTION, WAITING ON WEDNESDAY, JOYHOPELIVE LINKUP, THE (NOT JUST) HOMEMAKING PARTY, THURSDAY FAVORITE THINGS, LIVE FREE THURSDAY, THOUGHT-PROVOKING THURSDAY, EVERYDAY JESUS, GRACE AT HOME, SHINE LINKUP, THOUGHTFUL THURSDAYS, FROM HOUSE TO HOME, LITTLE THINGS THURSDAYS, FRIENDSHIP FRIDAY, EVERYDAY TESTIMONY, FELLOWSHIP FRIDAY, FAITH FILLED FRIDAY, SPIRITUAL SUNDAYS, FAITH 'N FRIENDS, MAKE MY SATURDAY SWEET, FAITH & FELLOWSHIP, GRACE & TRUTH, DANCE WITH JESUS, ESSENTIAL FRIDAYS, SITTING AMONG FRIENDS, TGI SATURDAYS, WEEKEND WHISPERS, LIVING PROVERBS, SMALL VICTORIES SUNDAY, WORD OF GOD SPEAK, GIVE ME GRACE, SOCIAL BUTTERFLY SUNDAY


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

44 comments:

  1. Ah Sharon ... how I love me some Marty wisdom and that sweet face! He's right and I am thankful for Marty and you and this chat with Our Creator! Love and hugs (and a bit of a wag to my favorite beagle)~Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon, I'm with you I had way too much to eat over the holiday. That Marty is one smart doggy. As I sit looking at the rain, I'm especially appreciative for his wisdom to take joy that I'm alive to see it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love. This. Post. That is all...other than I think you're pretty cool too :) Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving. I am thankful for many things, including "meeting" you through blogging. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is brilliant. Dear Mr God. I'm wagging my tail. 😬

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, I just love this post! And so happy to hear that you had a great Thanksgiving! Thanks so much for sharing, Love! GOD bless you, beautiful friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great lessons from Marty! I like the part about why don't people wag their tail and be happy? Very clever story with a great message for us! I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday. All that rich food! No wonder we're so happy and thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww, the wisdom of Marty and doggies, aren't they so right. They're man's best friends cause God needed someone to remind us to smell the roses and cuddle up in bed with a good book and take walks through the snow and rain and sand, and enjoy life! I just love this Marty, you made my day, you might me smile and enjoy this very moment so much more. I'm visiting from playdateswithGod link up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed the story and especially the creative way you shared it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always good to hear someone had a fantastic Thanksgiving :) Marty is one smart dog; he truly does have a lot of wisdom. I think most dogs do too; we just need to observe them and how they do life; I think we would be less stressed if we followed some of the things they did indeed :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Precious! Very well done post. We have a beagle too and they are wise! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon,I LOVE this post and Marty's wonderful words of wisdom! We are a family of beagles, so that sweet face captures my heart, just like his focus on what really matters...a heart of gratitude. Many blessings to you and sweet Marty ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dogs and little kids are so much smarter than us!
    Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute! Long Thanksgiving weekends can really wear a girl out! So happy to be visiting next door at #raralinkup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute a perspective I never would have thought of! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ate way too much too! Still recovering from it....
    Marty is so cute and so wise. Enjoyed your post very much.:) Visiting from #IntentionalTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh, I LOVE this, Sharon! I wanted to respond to what you wrote on my blog, but I know that Blogger doesn't send replies like some of the other blogs do. I loved your comment on my blog-I love reading your comments as much as I love reading your blogs-you always make me laugh--but I HAD to pop over here..being a dog person, I HAD to read Marty's letter. Oh. My.Gosh! I LOVED it! I am going to think of people not wagging their tales all day today. Such a great letter. Tell Marty that I'm sure God got a real kick out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never been a dog lover, so I was truly surprised to see how often our dog showed up on my gratitude list from November. They sure are a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marty--my second favorite dog in the world! Such a personality! And I love his picture! Just want to hug him.
    Anyway, I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving with lots of laughter and family surrounding you.
    Marty's letter to God is so special and down to earth. Yep! God is all we need, but I know I walk around with my head hung down sometimes and not wagging my happy tail. Marty always has a good lesson for us to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to be more like Marty. He's a good dog with a big God.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marty is a very wise dog. I get the message and will wag my tail a lot more. May we all be as grateful as Marty. Thank you for sharing your awesome letter to God with us here at Tell me a Story.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Marty is adorable. Glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cute, Sharon! I think we could all do to show as much joy as our furry friends sometimes. I love the way Bonnie goes crazy with happiness when I return from work. It makes me feel so loved. Maybe I do need to wag my tail for God more!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We can learn from all God's creatures. :) May we all find ways to slow down this Advent, even if just in mind. Thanks, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent lesson in humor!!! What we must look like to our Father as well... Thanks for the reminder to see ourselves as God does. Well done in a way that makes my soul smile. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving Day. I'm sure your granddog did too...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved Marty the beagle's perspective on people and his perspective on God.

    Very well said!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cute and Marty is so right! Very smart doggy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for re-posting, Sharon! I missed it the first time around - awesome! Get some sleep, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Sharon, I always appreciate your perspective... and this time, from a furry friend's eyes, you really spoke so much truth. Life is so simple if lived the way Marty described it. I love beagles too... and the photo of Marty at the end... he's really huggable! How old is he, by the way? Blessings... Lidia

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very cute viewpoint! Thanks for sharing!
    From #joyhopelive

    ReplyDelete
  30. So cute, and so true.....the questions give us humans pause, right? We had a nice Thanksgiving, too. Now the tree is up, the decorations out, and the Christmas music playing....

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well, I'm a cat person, but love dogs, too, of course. I can hear Marty saying this. My cats, not so much. Only one things I can see from my cats that fits here. They expect. They expect their people to do certain things for them . . . and make sure we know when we'very been remiss. They expect because we have always met their expectations before. They know food will be in the dish at certain times. Water in the bowl, box cleaned, lap available during morning devotions and evening relaxing after dinner. Trust happens. With confidence. I have learned something from Marty. Looking at my cats and learning from them, too.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  32. I agree with Marty! Such a cute post! And yes, we ought to wag our tails more. ;)
    Thanks for linking on Amanda's Books and More. My weekend linky is live and I hope you can link up!
    http://abooksandmore.blogspot.co.za/2015/12/learning-english-touching-lives.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. Marty's a pretty smart beagle! Thanks for linking up again this week at Mondays @ Soul Survival. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for the good points. I had a beagle once. Her name was Miss Polly. They are so family friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful post, I really enjoyed your pups perspective! Made my tail wag...

    ReplyDelete
  36. That just made me smile. :) Thanks, Sharon. I read this today and it made me think long and hard about the reason we worry. "Worry is the outward sign of an inward lack of belief that God is really with us and working things out." Maybe, we are not wagging our tails because we are not sure that He is working it all out... because we are not spending enough time in His Word, in prayer, in Praise to rest securely in the Hope He always provides.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the perspective and childlike faith here, Sharon! :) Wonderful. Thanks for (re)sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That is what the holidays are for!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is so cute! Thanks for sharing with #SocialButterflySunday! Hope to see you link up again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love, love, LOVE this! And since I have a 12-year-old beagle, I especially love it!

    Thanks for joining Grace at Home. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh, my word! This is adorable! I didn't see it the first time you posted, so thanks for repeating it! Just priceless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you for very useful information.
    blocktalks

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)