Wednesday, June 30, 2010

BRAINSTORM

Well, today "the boys" (my sons) are coming over for a brainstorming session about some new products they're going to be selling. Trying to come up with names, and copy for a new website and catalog. For some reason, they think I can help. I know...poor misguided things. It makes me happy that they still think I'm creative and vital (delusions are tough - I don't have the heart to burst that bubble yet!!) But I had to laugh at the whole idea of "brainstorming."

Now, when I think of the word "storm" I conjure up these definitions:

hurricane - a lot of swirling air that doesn't do anything constructive
thunder - lots of noise, kinda scary
lightning - flashes of brilliance that never last
tornado - endless twisting around that fizzles into nothing
blizzard - a flurry of activity that eventually melts away

You'll notice that all these definitions ALSO apply to my brain...get it?!
BRAIN STORMING!

Yes, when you're a COLEN ("Change-of-Life Empty-Nester") you'll find that the thing you miss most from your youth is that good old, instant memory recall, Jeopardy-ready, I really am a college graduate, fully functioning BRAIN!! Getting older is really tough!

Sometimes it makes me wonder - have I missed my chance in life? Am I too old to reach for those lifelong dreams?

Someone once tried to pay me a compliment on a poem I had written. They remarked, "Wow...you really missed your calling."

"Have I, Lord?" I often wonder.

But you know what? God used a lot of old people in the Bible - people who He felt were JUST RIGHT for the job He had in mind. Granted, they didn't always FEEL ready in the beginning. Some of them laughed, some of them cried, some of them argued, and some of them questioned God. But, in the end, they all OBEYED.

There is no time limit on God's calling - there is no deadline for His work. His schedule lasts our whole lifetime.

Listen to His wonderful Word:

"I have cared for you since you were born...I will be your God throughout your lifetime - until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along...Everything I plan will come to pass...Now I will tell you NEW things, secrets you have not yet heard. They are brand new; not things from the past...Yes, I will tell you of things that are entirely new...I am the LORD your God who...leads you along the paths you should follow...The LORD called me...he called me by name...He said to me, "You are my servant...and you will bring me glory."

That's GOOD STUFF!!

So, here's to my day of "brainstorming" - and knowing that God has His hand on me. It's never too late for Him to work through me, because He never stops working in me!

P.S. Ever notice how a storm also cleanses everything, making all things fresh and new?!

BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon-

    You are bringing forth GOD's fruit and flourishing...

    Psalm 92:14
    They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing;

    Love in His service, Sandra
    (54 years old and also bringing forth His fruit, and flourishing !)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sandra! Thank you so much for your very kind words!

    Is it OK if I take the "flourishing" part and not the "fat"?? :)

    Are you finding this to be true? At this stage of my life, I feel a fervor for the Lord that I have never felt before. It's like He's lit a new fire - and there's new work to be done!

    I am so glad that I found you - we are in His service together, indeed!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon -

    I posted a response to this last night...not sure what happened to it...The Lord led me back here this a.m. He wanted me to know that my post had not appeared...It must be the spiritual wickedness in high places, you think?

    Well, from a place of "greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world," I post this:

    You are certainly welcome, Sharon.

    The "fat" in the Bible is not talking about weight, is it? Anyhow, I know what you mean.

    Yes, at this stage in my life, I do indeed feel a fervor and fervency which includes a hunger and thirst for more of GOD. Psalm 63:8, "My soul followeth hard after thee:..."

    Also, I am less inclined for possessions. In years past, I was inclined to fashion - coordination - lots of clothes...Now I have what I have termed a "uniform" look using a few basic colors. I do not look blah but I lost interest in all that was involved in coordination exercises. It was too time consuming and subtracted from my time with our Lord. Now my desire is streamline - simplified so that I can concentrate more on our Lord and the issues of the heart.

    Also, I am more inclined to publicy praise GOD (I did a post on that last night).

    You said, "I am so glad that I found you - we are in His service together, indeed!!"

    My sentiments exactly, Sharon. Thank you, dear precious daughter of GOD for being about HIM, and for loving his creations.

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)