Thursday, July 1, 2010

A NEW ME

Today I get my hair colored…

OK, yes, the secret is out – I color my hair. Actually, it’s not much of a secret – especially if you see me on week 3 or 4. Those old gray roots really start to show. It’s amazing the plethora of hairstyles you can come up with to hide them. My own personal repertoire of “comb-overs” is quite impressive!

For years now (more than I’d like to admit!), “the boys” have given me the lovely nickname of “Pepe Le Pew” – remember the skunk character on Looney Tunes cartoons?! It’s an apt moniker.

Mind you, there’s nothing wrong with gray hair. Lots of women wear their gray with pride. And they look absolutely beautiful. It’s just not right for me. I end up looking like Mrs. Kirby – my husband’s grandmother!!

Aren’t we women funny creatures? We do so many things to hide the fact that we’re getting older. And there’s a lot we can do nowadays. With a tummy tuck here, and a lipo there, here a lift, there a lift, everywhere a botox – E I E I O!! It’s getting easier and easier to “fool” people into seeing a youthful exterior.

But what’s on the inside?

The Bible tells us that we are fallen human beings. We have the stain of sin in our hearts. We all try to hide this fact. Some of us are better at it than others. There’s a lot of “good” people out there. But the truth of the matter is, we can NEVER get rid of that stain by ourselves.

We lament with David, echoing his words from Psalm 51:
“Have mercy on me, O God…Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins…Don’t keep looking at my sins. Remove the stain of guilt. Create in me a clean heart, O God.”

And God did just that…He sent His Son, Jesus, to die for all our sins – past, present, and future. And with that sacrifice came this wonderful promise:

“…Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them white as snow. Though they are red like crimson, I will make them as white as wool…for I have paid the price to set you free.” (from Isaiah)

So when I’m sitting in that chair at the hair salon today, waiting for the gray to disappear, I’m going to think about what Jesus did for me. He washed away my sin, removing forever its ugly stain.

He made me NEW!

BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)