Wednesday, July 21, 2010

WHO AM I...REALLY?

I've got to start by telling you a little something about me. I am sooooo careful with my personal information. I'm actually a little paranoid about it. "The boys" say I could be a character in the book, "1984" - you know, the whole "big brother is watching" thing!

I shred EVERYTHING - yes, even the mail delivered to resident!

However, a few months ago, I got a frightening phone call. Evidently, someone had stolen my credit card information from a website, and fraudulently ordered about $250 worth of computer games. (FYI - I'm not a "gamer" - definitely NOT my purchase!) Fortunately, someone called me before processing the order, and I did not lose the money. But...

WHAT A HASSLE!

Getting new credit cards, phoning the credit unions to put out a fraud alert, calling all the other companies that use that card for various bills, canceling other accounts, etc, etc, etc! I felt violated and afraid.

But God taught me a few things through this experience.

A long time ago, there was a young man who was born without a birth certificate. He didn't possess a social security number, never had a driver's license - or any other kind of personal ID. He never punched a time clock, never had a checking account, never filed income tax forms, never drove a car, never owned a home. In fact, He Himself said, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but [I have] no place to lay [my] head." By modern standards of identification, this man had no identity. And so, how was He known?

He was known by His words and by His deeds!

Jesus was the Son of God, known by the miracles He performed, by the good deeds and perfect love He demonstrated, and by the words He spoke. He died for our sins, and was raised again to life as the first-fruit of all those who believe in and accept His atoning work. Jesus had His identity firmly rooted in God, and 2,000 years later, the world still knows about Him.

Hmmm...so what does the identity of Jesus have to do with us?

Who are we without our documents and our numbers?

We are God's children - deeply loved by Him, and bought at a great price. Our names are written in His book of life, and we will spend eternity in His presence.

I want to be identified with the crucified and risen Christ - in this life I want to glorify His name, by what I say and what I do. I want to enter heaven and hear God say, "Well done, good and faithful servant!"

Don't you want that, too?!

John 1:12 says, "...to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the RIGHT to become children of God..."


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)