Wednesday, July 7, 2010

WHY DOESN'T GOD HAVE ARMS?

The other day my friend and I were discussing the difficulties of loving an invisible God. It’s hard sometimes to feel His presence. After all, we live in a physical world, where matter is tangible – we feel things by touch. But God is Spirit, and we must relate to Him on a different level.

But, sometimes don’t you wish He had arms?

I’d love to sit in His lap, just curl up like a little girl and feel His strong arms hold me, hug me – I’d do anything to feel Him touch my face, or stroke my hair, or pat me on the back. I KNOW He’s there – I believe that with all of my heart. And I feel His Spirit inside of me. But oh, there are days when I’d do anything for His physical touch.

Where are Your arms, Lord?

And then I hear His Spirit speak to me, and tell me this wonderful truth. God was never closer to me than when His Son stretched out His arms – His earthly, physical, human arms – on a wooden cross. There is no human hug that can match that love!

But we are not alone in wanting Jesus’ physical presence.

A doubting disciple named Thomas would not believe the Savior had risen until he could physically touch His hands.

“I won’t believe it unless I see the nail wounds in his hands, put my fingers into them, and place my hand into the wound in his side.” (Gotta love Thomas!!)

Eight days later, Jesus appeared to the disciples again, and this time Thomas was there. Jesus told Thomas to touch His wounds, and finished by saying, “Don’t be faithless any longer. BELIEVE!

Needless to say, Thomas did just that!

And then Jesus told him, “You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.”

You know what?! That’s you and me He’s talking about!! WE are the ones He calls blessed, because we believe with the eyes of faith. Because of the Holy Spirit, who is present with us at all times, God can be as real to us as His Son was to Thomas.

(read the story of Thomas in John 20:24-29)

“Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.” (Hebrews 11:1)

BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)