Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A LITTLE TOUCH OF HEAVEN

If all goes according to plan, I will be on a grand adventure when this entry posts. I will be hiking a 16-mile, two-day journey down "The Narrows" in Zion National Park. This hike travels along the Virgin River - an apt name for a river that is crystal clear, and as pure as the snow-melt it comes from.

For many people, this would be an adventure. For me, who has done the "day-hike" version, but never an overnight backpack trip, this will be a GRAND adventure!

So many questions - will my little "get-away sticks" (my husband's name for legs) be able to make the trek? Will I be warm enough? Will I have enough to eat? Will the little water purifier work so I can actually drink the river water safely???

Legitimate questions? Probably so. But let me tell you, once I'm on the hike, all these concerns will fade away as quickly and as easily as images of the "concrete" world I left behind in the city. The Narrows is a breathtaking hike. Over millions of years, the river has carved out a deep, narrow canyon of dramatic color and beauty. You can stop and look up at the sky - a thin strip of blue that looms hundreds of feet overhead. Awesome!

Much of the hike, you are actually IN the river - crossing back and forth, forging ahead through strong currents, and sometimes just floating along when there is no place to walk! There is no way to describe the cold, refreshing feel of this pure water. It makes me feel like I am part of it. I become one of the rocks that lay at the bottom of this endless river - at peace with the timelessness of nature.

It all reminds me of the Creator - my wonderful and precious Lord. The Master of creativity, beauty, and eternal glory.

What a joy to spend time in His natural sanctuary!


"For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities - his eternal power and divine nature." (Romans 1:20)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)