Monday, April 1, 2013

THE ENEMY STRIKES


Spam.

I have come to despise that word.

I've been reading lately in Blog Land about a recent (and annoying) influx of *fake comments* that are infiltrating our beloved blogs.

So far, I thought I had escaped.

But, in the last couple of weeks, I've had a few pesky (and annoying) comments "sneak past" Blogger's spam filtering system.  (I'm not going to get snide here – but honestly, spam filters should actually WORK, right???)

These comments were obvious attempts to get me to click on over to some random website - (not a *real* blog, mind you).

Oh, they were sneaky.

One complimented the great content of my blog.  (Working on the flattery angle evidently…)

One said I was having browser viewing problems.   (Working on the fear angle evidently…)

But, the other night, I was attacked.

That's my word for it.  Let me tell you why.

First of all, let me set things up a bit.

It had been a very long day.

Late in the afternoon the previous day, I had made the long trek down the hill.  Woke up to a day full of activity.  Errands in the morning, a long hair appointment, and then a fun jaunt up the freeway to go to a hockey game with my oldest son…during rush hourto Los Angeles.  (For those of you who live in Southern California, you'll understand.  For those of you who don't, picture billions of cars moving an inch at a time for almost 1½ hours).

It was a very exciting, but very close game.

Let me tell you, I really, really love hockey.  And I really, really get into the game.

So, a very close game is emotionally draining for me!  Fortunately, our team won.  But it was a touch-and-go battle.  Phew…

Then, son and I had to stop and get something at a Walmart on the way home.  (I didn't know that Walmart stayed open until midnight in some places).  I was tired, yes, but shopping with my oldest is a treat.  He’s very funny, and we always get the giggles.

Then we had to finish our yakking when we pulled into the driveway. Suffice it to say, that I finally walked in the door at 12:30 AM.

I'm not sure what made me check my blog.

Well, actually, I totally believe it was a God thing.

"Oh," I thought to myself, "I got another comment today."

So, I went to read it.

SPAM.

But, this comment was different.  It was full of terrible words and impure thoughts and lewd suggestions.  (Working on the filth angle evidently…)

I. WAS. SHOCKED.

Stunned by what I was seeing.

Like I said, I felt attacked.

I quickly deleted the comment, and then logged in to remove all traces of this disgusting invasion.

I worried, too.

What if someone read that comment?  I know that people would quickly realize that it was something that I had no control over, and that it was an unabashed attempt to discredit the Christian content of my blog.

But still…

I was chagrined to think that anyone might have been exposed to such awful language.  (If you were, I really am so very sorry…)

After I deleted the comment, I simply looked at the computer screen and muttered:

"Hello, Mr. Satan."

(Spam, as defined in Sharon's Acrostic Dictionary):

S atan
P ersecuting
A ttacking
M aligning

I had trouble sleeping for a while, and I have a feeling that I'll be watching my blog like a hawk for quite a long time.  If it keeps up, I'm going to have to enable comment moderation.  Thank goodness that we have that option!

But, I was mostly kept awake thinking about how ugly our enemy 
can be.

Prince of the power of the air (Internet) indeed.

I was reminded of the scene when Jesus confronted a demon – (I like the way The Message relates the story):

"Then he went down to Capernaum, a town in Galilee, and on the Sabbath he taught the people.  They were amazed at his teaching, because his words had authority.  In the synagogue there was a man possessed by a demon, an impure spirit. He cried out at the top of his voice, 'Go away! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!'
  
'Be quiet!' Jesus said sternly. 'Come out of him!' Then the demon threw the man down before them all and came out without injuring him.  All the people were amazed and said to each other, 'What words these are! With authority and power he gives orders to impure spirits and they come out!'

And the news about him spread throughout the surrounding area."  

(Luke 4:33-37, MSG)


An attack.

An attack against the words of Jesus.

And in a way, an insight into the way that followers of Jesus will also be attacked.

Persecuted.  Maligned.  Belittled.

Perhaps even "smut-splattered" by Spam comments.

The father of lies is all about conducting a *smear campaign* against the Lord.  And, because of our association with Him, the enemy is going to go after us, too.

So, what to do?

Well, what we always do.  We pray, we put on our armor – and we fight back.

I have been praying for all of us who seek to spread the Good News in Blog Land.  I have been praying for a hedge of protection to surround us.  I have asked God to guard the words He speaks through us.  I have prayed for God's courage so that we might not be dismayed, or discouraged, or defeated.

I have prayed for the power of The Word to overcome.

And, of course, it will.

"The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8, NLT)


That night, as I finished talking to the Lord, as I turned over to go to sleep, I heard the words that He seems to be speaking to me lately – over and over again:

"Don't be afraid."

OK, Lord.

Fight for me.  Fight for all of us who seek to honor and glorify You in this place called Blog Land.

And I believe this is His strong response:

"I got this one.  Rest easy, dear ones.  I will not be thwarted."

Yes, Lord.

Let it be so.


"It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it." 
(Isaiah 55:11, NLT)





That Wily Serpent


How do you fight back against the enemy?


Linked today with:

Joan at SHARING HIS BEAUTY
Michelle at HEAR IT ON SUNDAY, USE IT ON MONDAY
Pamela at A SHELTERING TREE
Charlotte at SPIRITUAL SUNDAYS


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

13 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that happened! So far, I have only found one spam. It was some long stupid thing with links to click. My bigger fear is that they get craftier and not as easy to recognize. The husband opened an email that was so craftily crafted (can you say that?) that he honestly thought it was legitimate on his personal computer. We're so glad it wasn't the business one because his virus protection tried its hardest but stuff still got on there. Stuff you would NOT want on any computer let alone a business one. Evil. That's all it is.

    I think the comparison of Satan to SPAM or other such internet evil is excellent. That is exactly how he tries to invade our lives.

    The passover/Easter season seems to make him particularly antsy. I guess the reminder of what and who WAS, IS, and IS TO COME drives him bonkers.

    (And I did get your email and will respond. I have been distracted. I'm sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although my spam filter works pretty good on my WordPress blog, I have noticed how at times even the spammy comments have a impact on me at times. Some are really sweet and sappy but others tend to have a critical twist to them. Thanks for keeping the blogging family in your prayers Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon....it happened to me too. I think being online...just like living....we get attacked and spammed. The thing is..we just got to delete and move on. I worry that my kids might get one of these awful ones but that's where faith and prayer come in just like in life. Hugs Sharon....love your site...and your honest sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon,

    Sorry, this happened to you. Guess it is a warning for us all. I have never done comment moderation, but happen I might consider it now. Although it is comforting to know, God has in all in hand anyway.

    God Bless - Nita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happened to me too, praying for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beware of wolves in sheep clothing. I hate that for you - but we have all had those ugly comments. Hugs, sandie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had visits from satan on my blogs too, didn't even know it till someone emailed me. I think most of our blogging buddies understand, but you said it right, satan tries everything! I like your prayer about this and am saying a big AMEN with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ep. 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. When I am attacked my first reaction is to attack back. When I take the time to see that my battle isn’t against that person, it helps to turn my heart to prayer. My prayers are moved from reaction to compassion. Compassion motives me to care for the person, not the act, as you spoke last week “Father forgive them for they know not what they do”. This really spoke to me even in the harshest of circumstances the one we follow tells us to forgive. Fighting bitterness can only change our heart for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon,
    I get a lot of these spam messages on my blog. It is unbelievable how many I receive. At first I was angry about it. But when we are doing the Lords work, we should expect the enemy to attack. I enabled comment moderation so that none of these get to my readers. Then one day when I was feeling tired, I went to check my comments. I had both legitimate comments and spam. In my daze, I published the spam and deleted, by accident the legitimate comment. I hit the wrong buttons twice...Oh boy... Yes be praying...
    May the Lord bless,
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry you went through this, Sharon. Nasty and you are right, from Satan. Praying along with you......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure where to start...I love the analogy of Satan and spam. After I read your post I went and changed my settings to moderate all comments. Then I got tired of the extra step to see comments... so I turned comment moderation off again. Last night I got to thinking about how I would dislike someone reading spam on my blog...so I switched the settings again. Today I had a yucky sexual spam comment. So glad you warned me, my 86 year old mom who reads the comments would have been so upset by that. Thanks, Sharon for your timely words about spam and Satan...the ultimate spammer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was horrified when that happened to me because I knew my daddy read every comment. When it's the devil I go to the Word. Truth scare the bejabberz out of him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thinking of you Sharon and hoping all is well with you. Hugs Nita

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)