Friday, September 20, 2013

"FAN THE FLAME" FRIDAY - Generous


Welcome to "Fan the Flame" Friday.

This is a weekly post that will be "short and sweet" (kinda like me...)

Just a word and a question (or few)…just a little something to
"fan the flame" of your creativity!

And, to further fan those faith-filled flames (try saying that 10 times in a row!) – I'm adding my favorite devotional from the week!


Today's word: generous

How would you define the word generous?

What is the hardest thing for you to be generous with - your time, your money, or your possessions?  Why?

How might we become more generous - and how does God promise to reward us?


Let me know what you think!!


"Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share." (1 Timothy 6:18, NIV)

"The wicked borrow and never repay, but the godly are generous givers." (Psalm 37:21, NLT)

"Blessed are those who are generous, because they feed the poor." 
(Proverbs 22:9, NLT)

"You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and...your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.." 
(2 Corinthians 9:11, NIV)



DEVOTIONAL OF THE WEEK:


(Re: The Parable of the Good Samaritan)

Jesus tells a story about another way in which his followers will live out his life...Love for God can't be an ethereal commitment of the head.  Rather, it must impact the daily, moment-by-moment decisions a person makes...a person yielded to him will expend his or her strength in loving God actively. Heart, soul, mind, and strength devoted to God will translate into a real, living love for our neighbors.


*You are a link to the divine, a minister of God.  The Presence within you mandates it.


(Devotional from: "Meet the Bible" by Philip Yancey and Brenda Quinn, c. 2000, Zondervan Publishers)


"This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you…For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (2 Timothy 1:6-7)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

12 comments:

  1. something to think about Sharon....been up since 5 so pretty brain dead right now. Wishing you a beautiful inspired Friday.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Wanda's. If I'm really honest I'd probably have to say I struggle to give of my time generously. I do give of my time but I know there are also times I'm too quick to make it about me and not about others. It stings to admit that because I don't want it to be about me. I want it always to be about Him. I loved the devotional you shared. Thank you and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I'm honest Sharon some time I can be a bit stingy with all of those areas. I have to remind myself not to become so absorbed in my own little world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Generous to me means to give freely of all you have because it has been freely given to you from God; the most important gift of course is Jesus and salvation through him :)

    Honestly, without bragging, generous is one of my spiritual gifts so it comes easily to me. What I do have to be careful about is not to be too generous (if that is possible) but to make sure I'm using God's gifts he has given me wisely.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon! I love the concept of generosity. Especially when I am on the receiving end! But I need work on the giving side.

    I like to be generous with my time, but I have to watch that I don't overdo and get too exhausted. We all do need to use our talents, and I am thankful that you are using yours for all of our benefits. Thank you for sharing what you have given!

    Blessings to you, my friend,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any one can be 'generous' when they have a lot. I am thinking of the women in the bible that put in like a penny and what a big deal it was for her. That is generous to give when it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Generous is to give freely from your entire being.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sharon,

    The first thought that came to mind was "myself" if that makes sense. Sometimes we can give so much of ourselves, but no more. Guess that could cover all the other areas too. JOY Jesus first Others second, You last. Oh easy to type, not so easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also thinking of the widow who gave the tiny bit she had and Jesus was pleased with her. When we give out of our dire need that is being generous. And the Lord will honor and reward such generosity as that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Sharon
    I think this generosity is a gift we receive to the same degree our hearts are open to receive grace. We cannot give what we do not have, therefore we need to live close in the life of the Generous One and allow Him to overflow His generosity towards others.Thanks for a good reminder!
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have really caused me to ponder on this subject today. But off the top of my head I know it's my time. God is constantly dealing with me of allowing Him to schedule my day and to go with the flow if He interrupts my day...

    ReplyDelete
  12. People can be generous is so many different ways, not just with time and money. For instance people who Blog regularly and use their talents of writing to bring God's Good News to others are being generous.

    May He bless you always.

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)