Friday, October 18, 2013

"FAN THE FLAME" FRIDAY - Pruning


"Welcome to "Fan the Flame" Friday.

This is a weekly post that will be "short and sweet" (kinda like me...)

Just a word and a question (or few)…just a little something to
"fan the flame" of your creativity!

And, to further fan those faith-filled flames (try saying that 10 times in a row!) – I'm adding my favorite devotional from the week!


Today's word: pruning

What does the word pruning mean to you?

What makes spiritual pruning such a difficult process?

In what ways is God pruning you at this time in your faith journey?

What do you think He's trying to accomplish with His pruning?


Let me know what you think!!


"'I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn't produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more.  You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you.  Remain in me, and I will remain in you.  For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.  Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches.  Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit.  For apart from me you can do nothing.'" (John 15:1-5, NLT)

"...planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God.  They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green, proclaiming, 'The Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.'" (Psalm 92:13-15, NIV)

"The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but the LORD tests the heart." (Proverbs 17:3, NIV)



DEVOTIONAL OF THE WEEK:


The picture of a life-giving connection between a vine and its branches would sustain [the disciples] in the time to come...Jesus began his teaching on the vine and the branches by identifying the vine...The picture of remaining or abiding in the vine sets up the process of seasons of pruning...an ongoing process tended to by the Gardener...Submit yourself to God, the Gardener, for whatever pruning he sees fit.  But ask him to help you be aware of the work he is doing in your life, so that you may benefit fully from the "trimming," for your good and his glory.


*The evidence of abiding lies in fruitfulness now, in the present.


(Devotional from: "Life Application Study Bible Devotional - The Gospels" by Dave Veerman and Neil Wilson, c. 2011, Livingstone Corporation)


"This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you…For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (2 Timothy 1:6-7)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon! I read your word for the day and actually flinched. Ouch. Pruning is not my favorite thing. I kind of like where I am...usually.

    I believe that God is asking me to prune away all the extra things I do. Just to concentrate on him in prayer and in writing. I also think he wants me to have stronger faith, so I am challenged a lot in circumstances. I know that those he loves he chastens...but come on God! Give me a break!

    Whoops. Sorry about that. (whining again. I excel at that, as you know.) The Lord is hoping I'll turn down the whining and turn up the praise, so pruning is the way to do that. I pray it will fan my flames of faith and turn me to good works.

    Thank you for your always inspiring and thoughtful posts. I love coming here to see what you are up to!
    Blessings on your weekend, my friend!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good grief.
    I can't believe this is your word today. Our Bible study lesson for yesterday's session was quite a bit about pruning. Used that very word for it, in fact. I'm going to do the opposite of what I usually do and keep it brief. He is in the process of whacking back my "sucker shoots". It's painful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon,

    Pruning, immediately said pain, but then no pain no gain. We did a study recently on the vine and branches and how we cannot survive unless we are attached to the vine and how we need the other branches. Thanks for all your visits to my blog, I actually managed a post of sorts today and your encouragement - Have a blessed Son/Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of us like pruning, but we all love the results! Thanks for visiting my boy and encouraging him! He told me about your sweet comment before I had a chance to read it. He is packing now and I'm on the verge of tears. Oh me. :0[
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'd rather be pruned, then totally cut off :)

    The cool thing about God is he is the master gardener, so he knows exactly how much to prune at all times :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pruning means to take out the bad - to weed it out - to clean up - to make better. And God is the master gardener!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pruning makes me think of pain or at least something that's uncomfortable to my flesh nature but needful for my spirit man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy do you make me think Sharon....in good ways!!! Okay...pruning to me are those scary times....painful ones.....when things happen I can't explain. When the 'test' is over.....there's a lesson usually learned....and a change in my character. The thing is.....that change allows greater growth....in more directions....like flowers that are trimmed back and are free to grow bigger....better.....stretching out their beauty in every direction. Hey...happy Saturday....hope it's a great one. .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch! It always hurts. I never want the process, but it always produces more of what He wants in me.

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)