Monday, March 2, 2015

A BEAGLE HEALS


Marty.

My beloved granddog.

A clown, a rascal, a soldier.

That dog teaches me so many lessons about God.  I wonder if he knows that.  Sometimes I wonder if that's his purpose on this earth.

Well, let me tell you a bit about him being a soldier.

A couple of weeks ago, Marty had to have major surgery.  He had his spleen removed.  Yes, you heard that right – Marty *vented his spleen.*  The reason for this rather dramatic occurrence?  Well, here's the deal.  It's not all that uncommon for dogs to have growths on their spleens.  Most often they are cancerous, but even when they're not, they can be very dangerous.  These nodules grow and expand, and can burst – and then, a dog can bleed to death in a very short period of time.

So, the treatment is total removal of the problem.

One hospitalization, one "cone of shame," one two-week confinement to a dog bed and pen, and one suture/staple removal appointment later, Marty is doing fine.

No sign of cancer!

I stayed with my son for the two-week convalescent period.  (Marty is actually his dog, but don't tell either one of them that!!)  Yes, it allowed my son to go to work, and continue with a normal life.  But, truthfully, it also allowed me the chance to *love on* that dog, and be a lot less nervous about the whole process.

I will never forget how excited he was when we dropped him off for the surgery.  He loves the vet!!  People and dogs, what could be better?!  (Those moments just about broke my heart…)

And, I will never forget when we picked him up the next day.

My son and I sat in the examining room, and waited for the appearance of that beloved little face.  Well, I'll never forget seeing him as he turned the corner, wearing his cone, and walking like a snail on tranquilizers.  So slow, with his drugged-up eyes half open.  (My eyes teared up...big-time).

But, you know what?

That precious little dog wagged his tail and moseyed a tad bit quicker to get over to us!  Let me tell you, those licks of greeting and affection were the best ever.

See, he's a soldier.

As I watched Marty recover, I became determined to not let this experience pass without thinking about what I was learning through it all.  I am constantly reminded of my relationship with the Lord as I compare it to my relationship with my grandbeagle.

There's a purity of love and loyalty and devotion, a blessed freedom in total acceptance, a trust and a reliance that I receive from Marty.  He adores me, and is also happy and content in my presence.  He knows his needs will be fulfilled, and he feels perfectly cared for.  Under our wings, Marty is perfectly joyous.

Yes, Marty shows me how I should relate to my Master.

And my love for him?  It is also pure and loyal and devoted – given with total and unconditional acceptance.  Marty also has a way of bringing out the best in my heart.  I relate to him with self-sacrificing care, unmitigated joy, tender-heartedness, kind and gentle patience, big-smile delight, and can't-get-close-enough intimacy.  

And truly, isn't that just how our Master relates to us?!


So, what have I learned through this whole experience?

Here we go:


1) "Bad" things are sometimes good things in disguise


This whole odyssey started with a bad experience.  Last summer, Marty somehow got into the garbage and ate some leftover Chinese food.  By the next morning, his stomach was distended and hard, and he could barely move. A fast trip to the ER, an overnight stay, and multiple testing led to the discovery of the nodule on his spleen.

At the time, my son was quite frustrated with Marty.  (See the above-mentioned "rascal" reference).  And I was frustrated with the whole situation, too.

But, I have come to realize that the "coincidental" finding of the nodule on his spleen allowed us the chance to potentially save his life.

This really "bad" episode of beagle dumpster-diving was the circumstance that let us become aware of the growth.  We were able to monitor it, and remove it before it caused potentially life-threatening consequences.

How many times in the Bible do we read of the same sort of thing?

A seemingly bad thing, a "coincidental" occurrence, turns out to be a life-saving rescue?

Our greatest example?  

That terrible cross the worst thing that ever happened in the history of time.  And yet, that "bad" turned out to be the best thing ever.  A life saver, in every way!


"As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today." 
(Genesis 50:20, ESV)



2) Sometimes the cure is painful


In the end, the cure for Marty's problem involved major surgery, and a painful recovery.  The cure was invasive and drastic – but necessary. Sometimes, our sin requires the same thing.  Sometimes the cure isn't a bandage.  Sometimes the sin is much more than a skin-deep scratch.

This is when God does the right thing, the best thing.  He digs in with spiritual surgery, and removes the problem.  Painful, yes, and drastic.  And sometimes downright invasive.  We often don't want the "cure," do we?  

But sin can grow and expand and threaten us.

God is all about giving us Life.  And becoming more like Him, letting Him live through us, well, sometimes that requires major surgery, pain, and recovery.

But in the end, we are restored.


"But God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in his holiness.  No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening – it's painful!  But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way." (Hebrews 12:10-11, NLT)



3) Accept the cage


Marty is an *allowed-on-the-couch-and-bed* dog.  My son spends a great deal of time next to his best friend, and vice versa.  But, surgery recovery required something else.  Absolutely NO jumping.  Nope, Marty needed to be confined in one small area to recuperate.

The solution?  A new dog bed, and a pen to surround him.

I'm not kidding.  It literally was like a little hospital ward!  Wanna know a secret?  I spent the first night sleeping on the floor next to him.  I started on the couch, but realized I wasn't going to get any sleep constantly wondering if he was OK.  So, a couple of couch cushions, a pillow, and some blankets later – the nurse moved into the "ward."

But this lesson centers on how willing Marty was to accept this whole change of routine.  He really just *went with the flow* – and never complained.

You know, sometimes life just brings a slew of problems.  Circumstances that jolt us out of our routines.  So often we find ourselves having to adjust to new challenges and aggravating inconveniences.   I don't know about you, but I don't do well in these kinds of situations.

I fight against them, and I complain.

Marty taught me, once again, that the best thing I can do is to accept what life throws at me, to remain unflustered by change, and to learn how to be content in the middle of every situation.

Even if I feel "penned in."


"…I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound.  In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret…I can do all things through him who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:11-13, ESV)



4) Take the time to escape


Marty has this thing – he loves to bury himself under blankets.  I think he likes shutting out the light and the noise and the distractions.  I think under a blanket is his *happy place.*

Well, this special place is a little harder to reach when one is wearing a plastic cone!!  

I had to laugh as I watched Marty try to maneuver the blanket with that cone on.  Well, at first I laughed, but then I had to help.  I could hear (even though he is a silent dog) his muttering frustration.

But, again, the lesson I learned is that sometimes you've just got to cover up and escape from lifeyou have to get away from it all.  Sometimes you just need to give yourself some grace.  Give yourself permission to not have it all together.  

Sometimes we need to stop being so hard on ourselves or we'll implode.

Sometimes we need to just find a good blanket (emotionally, spiritually – and sometimes, literally!), curl up, and just retreat from the world to recover, revive, refresh, and restore.

We have a good example.

Jesus Himself placed a high priority on finding time to rest.  His *alone* time was precious, and He needed it.  I do believe He would encourage us to follow in His footsteps.

And sometimes those footsteps need to lead us away to a quiet place.


"He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul…" (Psalm 23:2-3, NASB)



5) Rest in the love and care of others


As I've said before, Marty is a picture of perfect trust.  He just knows that we love him, and that we are doing everything in our power to protect and nurture and care for him.

He still loved us after surgery.  He accepted the cone when we had to place it on him.  He was content in the pen.  He eagerly ate the new food and willingly took the new medicine.  He entrusted himself to us, without a doubt, and rested in our arms.

Is this not the biggest lesson of all?

I think it might be for me.


"Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.  Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.  Don't be impressed with your own wisdom.  Instead, fear the LORD…Then you will have healing for your body and strength for your bones." (Proverbs 3:5-8, NLT)



So yes, this was quite an ordeal.

But how can I relate this experience to my relationship with the Lord, my Master?

And what have I learned from Marty?

This:

I can still love the Lord even after a painful event.

I can accept change when the Lord deems it necessaryeven if it's inconvenient and changes my routine.

I can be content when the Lord tells me it's time to restand realize that sometimes "jumping through all of the hoops" isn't the best.

I can eagerly eat the daily bread that He provides meeven on the days when it's different than what I'm used to, something I might not want, or feels meager.

I can willingly take the *medicine* of discipline, knowing that it is given because it will make me well.

I can entrust myself to Him, without a doubt, and rely on His loving arms.  I can know that He loves me, and believe that He will do everything in His power to protect and nurture and care for me.

I can trust Him…and rest.


Thank you, Marty, for once again teaching me so much about life and love and God.

A beagle heals.

And so do I…






The Happy Place 




The Precious Face




"The Eternal is my shepherd, He cares for me always.
He provides me rest in rich, green fields
    beside streams of refreshing water.

He soothes my fears;
He makes me whole again,
    steering me off worn, hard paths
    to roads where truth and righteousness echo His name.

Even in the unending shadows of death's darkness,
    I am not overcome by fear.
Because You are with me in those dark moments,
    near with Your protection and guidance,
    I am comforted.

You spread out a table before me,
    provisions in the midst of attack from my enemies;
You care for all my needs, anointing my head with soothing, fragrant oil,
    filling my cup again and again with Your grace.

Certainly Your faithful protection and loving provision will pursue me
    where I go, always, everywhere.
I will always be with the Eternal,
    in Your house forever."

(Psalm 23, THE VOICE)


"Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation." (Isaiah 12:2, NIV)

"When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You.  In God, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid." (Psalm 56:3-4, NASB)

"Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully." (1 Peter 5:7, AMP)

"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." (1 Peter 5:10, NIV)

"Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later.  For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are.  Against its will, all creation was subjected to God's curse.  But with eager hope, the creation looks forward to the day when it will join God's children in glorious freedom from death and decay." (Romans 8:18-21, NLT)

"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.  And he who was seated on the throne said, 'Behold, I am making all things new.'" (Revelation 21:4-5, ESV)



How do these lessons speak healing to your soul?



Linked with:

PLAYDATES WITH GOD, SMALL WONDER, MONDAY'S MUSINGS, MONDAYS AT SOUL SURVIVAL, MAKE A DIFFERENCE MONDAYS, GOOD MORNING MONDAYS, SOLI DEO GLORIA, TELL ME A TRUE STORY, SHARING HIS BEAUTY, TITUS 2 TUESDAYSUNITE, TESTIMONY TUESDAY, TUESDAY TALK, WISE WOMAN, A LITTLE R & R WEDNESDAYS, TEACHING WHAT IS GOODTELL HIS STORY, COFFEE & CONVERSATION, SO MUCH AT HOME, WORD FILLED WEDNESDAY, THREE WORD WEDNESDAY, COFFEE FOR YOUR HEART, CAPTURE YOUR JOURNEY, WOMEN WITH INTENTION, THOUGHT-PROVOKING THURSDAY, LITTLE THINGS THURSDAY, LIVE FREE THURSDAY, BELOVED BREWS, THOUGHTFUL THURSDAYS, EVERYDAY JESUS, HEARTS FOR HOME, GRACE AT HOME, FRONT PORCH CONVERSATIONS, SHINE, FRIENDSHIP FRIDAY, FELLOWSHIP FRIDAYS, FAITH FILLED FRIDAY, MAKE MY SATURDAY SWEET, A GROUP LOOK, FELLOWSHIP FRIDAY, SPIRITUAL SUNDAYS, COUNTING MY BLESSINGS, FAITH & FELLOWSHIP, STILL SATURDAY, WEEKEND BREW, SATURDAY SOIREE, SUNDAY STILLNESS, GIVE ME GRACE



BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

54 comments:

  1. Great lessons Sharon. And please don't tell my wife there is a picture of a beagle on your site. She will want one. She had one as she was growing up. Fortunately for me our grandson is allergic to pet dander. I want a Samoyed. She wants a Beagle. I want a Greyhound. She wants a Beagle. You get my drift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad Marty is on the mend and no cancer was found. Great lessons he taught you during this ordeal, Sharon, and it does sound like an ordeal! I have to say I did skim over a lot of what you wrote here because it just reminded me so much of Koda......

    Enjoy Marty and the lessons he continues to help you learn!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post!!! You have shared so true words of wisdom, with humor socked in with it!! (You really should write a book, girl!) I also am a true dog lover...I have 2 chihuahuas who are my dog-babies (esp. since my youngest child moved out 2 years ago). I can relate to even sleeping on the floor next to one of them a couple of times in my life...isn't that a great example also of how God watches over us, even when we are sleeping!! ;) Thanks for sharing!!
    Blessings, Ann at Christ in the Clouds (http://christintheclouds.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again Sharon, you and the Lord through you have spoken into my state of mind - I have a lot of change and a lot of inconvenience going on round me. Perhaps I need a blanket perhaps I need a kickstart. But God knows and He is there with me and you and Marty, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off I'm so glad to hear that "Marty's Healing" and your worry Sharon also is coming to its end (another secondary healing). I love Marty's lessons and yours for putting "pen" to his paw and scratching out all we can learn from our furry family members. But I believe this "tale" is still in the recovery stages so I continue to pray for both of you and your "mom" (sons and hubby too) however isn't this suppose to go over on Marty's Blog (I do believe he has a book in the making similar to "Flash")! I love, love his photos and such a heart between you two (all)! I can definitely see why! Marty is so adorable! That precious face is worth a million!

    I loved what you learned from Marty and still pending on which one applies best for me and the healing of my soul. Maybe all! I think that these have some tie over lessons to your concerns with your other "worry". The best news is that you inadvertently found this and were able to take care of it and have a good report of no cancer for this dear ol' boy. (don't tell Marty I called him "ol") We never would know what's going on inside of our dear ones until something happens out of the ordinary. So thankful that this was discovered in time and taken care of. I'm guessing I need #4 since you touched on my one word there (lol). However, this ties in nicely with last week's "golden rule" lesson and B. Gray's "whitespace". Marty is so much more conducive to obedience and listening lessons than mine or me for that matter. I'm not too sure that I adapt so well to "accepting the cage" or whatever that might mean for me but my 4 have grown very accustomed to theirs, so I have the opposite problem, trying to get them to go outside and stay there for awhile (now we take shifts, since my aggressive one showed her dominance once again after quite a while with no episodes). You're right sometimes we all need more grace! Thanks Marty and Sharon for sharing! Now I need to go back to bed and work on that "rest" and healing for allergies/flu or cold or who knows why my nose is running continually today (out of USA meds for this)(sigh) and "The Voice" version of Psalm 23 has really spoken more clearly to me in this recent week from my "Walk" (I go back to it often). Not that I did not love this one and Ps. 91 and a few others before but more and more my favorites are stirring something new for me to lean on and hold on to as I pray them for me and you.

    Love you --- God bless you, Marty, and All,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, I did go to "Marty Speaks" and noticed the link to here but just copy and paste it over there and get going with moving all of his over there, eh? so Marty can organize and get ready for his (I mean "your") debut book! Right :)!!!

      Delete
    2. Sorry I just had to add this: "Chiqui" (one of my furry babies that looks most like a beagle face) sends her best wishes to Marty and his full recovery... she couldn't bear looking at him so sad and in his "cone" and "Chimi" says "not to fret, that cone will be off as soon as you heal, don't let it get ya'" and the other two "Lucky" and "Toby" just send wags and wishes to get well soon, Marty and "stay out of the garbage, we've learned the hard way too"... You knew I had to share this with them hoping that they'd learn a few lessons but no, of course, it doesn't work for them just me ... grrr! They just want to know why I'm so crazy showing them this screen deal and telling them to look. They just want some food or treat! I should have known better ... none of mine are like Marty!

      Delete
  6. What a great lesson from Professor Marty's class today! I wonder if god knew how much we would learn from animals? Of course he did!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good dog, Marty, through your experience we all have something to ponder. Hope you are feeling all better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad that Marty is on the mend and WOW! What insight you gleaned from the time you were with him. Well said Sharon!!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another beautifully written lesson to live our lives by. Marty is so precious and teaches great lessons! Feel better soon, sweet puppy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love this post! We are a beagle family, and our dogs do many of the same things. I love all the analogies with our Lord, so true! Many blessings to you and Marty ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED this post, Sharon! Thank you so much for sharing this. So many truths from one little beagle! Sayin' a prayer for Marty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how God can teach us so many lessons through experiences like our dog getting sick. That's a sign that you're very in tune with Him, Sharon! Thanks for passing along what you learn with us, so we can learn it too. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this story of Marty and how trusting and also loving he has been through his ordeal. I wonder if he will be so happy to visit the vet next time. :-) The spiritual lessons we can learn from Marty are great! Thanks for sharing with us here at "Tell Me a Story."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome, Sharon...as always! You know, has anyone ever suggested to you that you write a book? "The Adventures of Marty - My Lessons Learned" or something like that. It'd be a best seller for sure! So glad Marty is on the mend!

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy that Marty is on the mend, Sharon. I hate it that he had to have surgery, but look at how close the Lord was to you through it all and the spiritual lessons we all gleaned from it. Your points are uplifting and, once again, Jesus' example of suffering and restoration shines through to us. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love this "a purity of love and loyalty and devotion, a blessed freedom in total acceptance, a trust and a reliance". That is exactly how our relationship with God should be. If only we were able to give ourselves so totally to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was absolutely caught up in your story of Marty's life journey and how it relates to us ...Beautiful! Trust...trust .....trust and rest in Him. Love that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Sharon,

    Oh, my goodness! What a wonderful post!

    I feel so blessed to have met you and Marty today! What happy joys and heart-stirring memories came to me as I read (I'm from a beagle family, too!). I savored each of the details -- the happy place, the cone, that eager entry into the vet's, the trusting taking of medicine and new food, your sleeping by him in the cage (that one melts my heart!) -- and I loved how you incorporated Scripture and insights from your "walk" with the King!

    And you're right... There's nothing like the trust of a beloved dog in showing us what trusting our Savior can really look like.

    Bless you, dear heart. God's certainly got a "happy place" reserved just for you!

    Your friend from SDG,
    HBHW

    http://inthehandsofthehealer.blogspot.com/2015/02/flipping-rocks.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the encouraging Scriptures you share!

    Elizabeth
    www.allkindsofthingsblog.com
    Home of "Tuesday Talk" and "Pincrazy Thursday"~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marty reminds me of my Molly, my 13 year old, aging dachshund who has chronic back issues and so many nights I too, have had to nurse her back to health. She too burrows under blankets and has to adjust when her back acts up. This was excellent writing. Thanks for sharing. Linking up from Tuesday Talk

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to have a beagle and he was rascally, too. Sharon, I love that you don't miss a moment and that you process all this good stuff with us SDG sisters. I hear you loud and clear, especially "rest in the love and care of others." I have a cold and I've been down on myself for going back to bed and resting instead of just admitting I am sick and need some help picking up the slack. I am grateful that my husband loves me well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. "That dog teaches me so many lessons about God. I wonder if he knows that. Sometimes I wonder if that's his purpose on this earth." ... this is SO true. Thank you for linking at Small Wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this story and I love beagles. They are so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved your blog! I have a beagle too! And he's my grandbaby too. My son had to give him up for a job transition. I fell in love with him. Rascal is a great way to describe them isn't it? Your blog made my day. Made me smile. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sharon,
    I am joining you from Holley's link-up. I was drawn to that little beagle face because we, too, have a beagle (Topper). We also have a black lab and have learned so many lessons (especially about God's unconditional love) from these two lovable characters. I love all the points you make - oh so true! Thanks for sharing and I'm so glad I stopped by!
    Blessings,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  26. My dog was my best friend when he was alive.. half husky/half german shepherd. He was a goofball but he always knew when I was sad. He would sit with me and lay his head on my lap to cuddle. I miss him a lot, he was 15 when he died (and was deaf, had arthritis, canine cancer..) but he held out until the end.

    Anyway, thank you for sharing this. Some day, I'll get another dog.

    Stopping by from Women with Intention Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  27. They are such precious creatures created by God. They give us so much. I love the pictures of Marty. How sweet of you to go and baby sit with him and even sweeter that you slept next to him on the floor. I believe God really outdid Himself with the love of our pets.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is amazing what we can learn from all of God's creations when we're looking for them. Much wisdom in that perspective.

    I need to have my dog Larry hang out with Marty so he can pick up some better habits...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Um, I just about teared up reading this, too. I so resonate with your deep love for this animal in your life and all you are learning from him (as you have also resonated with in my writing). I'm so grateful he's doing well. And hearing you call him your "beloved granddog" always makes me think of my mom, who refers to Pepita as her beloved "grandtortoise"... I think you two would have a lot in common, actually ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sharon, what a precious pup! Thanks for encouraging me to take time to escape in your #livefree post today. Have a great one!
    Kim Stewart
    www.kimstewartinspired.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. We learn so much from our pets...They truly are a good example of how we should treat our Master...Well, at least dogs are! (Don't hate me, cat people...but you gotta admit, most cats are not that loyal...I said "most".)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glad your little Marty is healing! Pets can teach us a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is beautiful - all of it. We had a Beagle for many years - a mischievous, digger of holes twice her size, escape artist who we absolutely loved to pieces. We miss our "Molly" years later. God's creation always holds so many great lessons - thank you for sharing these here today.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm happy to hear your dog is mending

    ReplyDelete
  35. A sweet face indeed, friend, and so glad he came through his surgery well with a good prognosis. A lovely picture you paint here of the Lord. Great life lessons. Our pets are such precious tools in the Lord's hands to minister to us. Love my kitties, too. Learn from them daily.
    Joy!
    Kathy
    P.S. Did you get the book yet???

    ReplyDelete
  36. sharon, i must say, altho' i'm not particularly a great animal lover, i enjoyed your post on your grand-dog and the lessons learned from his recovery! thanks for the post:)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello to Marty from my Tucker-dog! I just read a book that you would love. It's about the influence of a beloved dog on his master's relationship with God during the dog's battle with cancer. It's called Stay (by Dave Burchett). I'll attach a link to my review just in case you want to check out the book. Caution: keep the tissues handy. https://michelemorin.wordpress.com/2015/02/27/sit-stay-abide/ Glad to have run into your blog on Faith Filled Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  38. We are dog lovers at our house who are having a rough day as our daughter's vet just called her to tell her that her dog is in liver and kidney failure. She's had her little white ball of fur for 14+ years and her heart is breaking. Makes this momma's heart sad too. I agree from Joan - Lessons from Marty sounds like a book to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a beautiful post about little Marty. Our furry friends can teach us so much as well as heal us. I wrote about how our Thomas helps me with healing and how close we can get to our pets. They are more like children to us at times.

    http://www.beingfibromom.com/furry-friend-and-chronic-illness/

    I found your post at Fellowship Fridays at Equipping Godly Women.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Epic, friend. Simply epic. And I echo Joan's thoughts about writing a book :-) I would buy it. Like, yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great post and great lessons to be learnt, thank you for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love how God speaks to you and that we get to read about what He shows you. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Beautiful story and such a sweet dog! I love how God shows up to teach us in all circumstances. Blessed you linked up at The Weekend Brew.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Always such a delight, Sharon, truly. I love how you are open to seeing God working in and through every circumstance. And even more, how you are able to share those lessons and experiences with others - us! Such a gift, my friend. Such a blessed gift. (So glad Marty is doing well!)

    ReplyDelete
  45. #3. Still working on #3. Accept the cage. I'm not a dog owner or lover but your post reminds me of a book by #GiveMeGrace community member Chelle Wilson. She's the author of Lessons Learned from my Downward Facing Dog : Sermons Preached by Sando. Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh, my word, Sharon! This is such a wonderful post. So chock full of edifying words. It is amazing how much we can learn through these experiences. Precious Marty! He is so adorable. We were really praying for him around here at our house, and we can't praise God enough that he is FINE and that there is NO cancer!!!!! Praise His wonderful name! And just look at all the lessons all of us are learning and have learned...all because of Marty and God's providential care of him! I loved your words so much and love you even more, sweet friend. God bless you richly, and may He give Marty and you many, many more happy years together :) Who knows what lessons Marty has yet to teach all of us?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Sharon this is fantastic. Such fabulous words you share. Marty really is a soldier as well. I have never heard of a dog having such major surgery. He is a much beloved family member I can tell.
    Thanks for sharing at the Shine Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a cutie! So glad I hopped over here from Faith & Fellowship Friday to let Marty's story inspire me. Thanks for sharing this & for visiting me at Doorkeeper last week. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  49. You gotta love a dog that loves to snuggle under a blanket! God has lessons for us everywhere - especially man's best friend! Totally impressed you slept on the floor with him!!! Thanks for the awesome encouragement of how to find the good in the challenge. Hope he's back to himself!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Sharon, I loved the story of Marty. I see so many of those similarities in our Chippy Dog. His great trust in our love for him and his deep desire to be by our sides even when it is painful for him to climb the stairs with his arthritis. How much more should I desire to be by my Father's side! To soak in His love and trust that He really has good for me.
    I'm sorry it took me so long to get over here. Life has been hectic and anxious. I need to go find my "happy place."
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)