Monday, March 30, 2015

JESUS - MEEK AND MILD??


Pictures of Jesus.

There are so many, aren't there?

I don't know about you, but I've seen a bunch.  Some pictures make Him look way too attractive, in my opinion, for someone the Bible tells us "…had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him."  Other pictures make Him look weak and frail, like He needed a good tan and some weight training.

I don't know if any of them come close to the way He actually looked.

All I know is that my impression was always that Jesus was meek and mild.

And not necessarily in a good way.

The word that always came to my mind was – dare I say itWIMP.

So, yeah, I always knew Jesus was my friend.  But I wasn't sure that He was the guy I wanted on my side in the playground of life.

Sure, if I got knocked down He'd be there to pick me up.  But then He'd tell me, "Turn the other cheek" and walk slowly away from the bullies.

Or He'd tell me to "Love your enemies"when what I really wanted was someone who'd squish my enemies like bugs.

So yes, I learned that Jesus was sweet, gentle, and kind.

And I appreciated those qualities.  But, I secretly wanted something else, something more.

I wanted a Savior who was strong.

Tough, powerful…maybe even a little scary.


Let me tell you something.

I finally met this Jesus when I read through the New Testament!

The first time I did that, I tried to insert myself into the Gospels.  I tried to picture myself right there beside Jesus and the disciples.  I tried to use my senses to engage the moment – the sights and sounds, the smells.

I tried to imagine Jesus' tone of voice as He spoke.

Sometimes the Bible translates His speaking by using the words – told, said, answered…

But I wonder sometimes.

Scripture tells us WHAT He said, but I wonder – HOW did He say it?

Did He whisper or shout, did He speak with anger or with sympathy, did He smirk or smile or laugh, did He speak with a twinkle in His eye or a scornful frown?

What was His tone, what was His facial expression, what exactly was He conveying?

These things captivate me!

As I perused those cherished *words in red*, a new picture of Jesus began to emerge.

Sometimes He was angry, sarcastic, condescending.  Sometimes He was patient, sympathetic, caring.  Sometimes He spoke quietly, and sometimes He spoke harshly.

Jesus was a multi-faceted person – a PERSON just like you and me.

And upon my reading it became very clear to me that Jesus was not a wimp.

The words that began to form in my mind were these: intelligent, clever, cagey, articulate, combative, confrontational, bold, confident, audacious, daring.

Jesus used His words like weapons when needed.  And He used them wisely and incisively.

He chose His words intentionallyand they were keen, perceptive, insightful, penetrating.


Let me relate one example.

This past week I've been working on my taxes.  Ugh.

And I got to thinking about a particular encounter between Jesus and some spies.  Jesus' enemies were always on the lookout for an opportunity to "trap" Him.

This situation was no different.

First of all, they approach Jesus with false flattery and smarmy groveling:

"Teacher, we know that you speak and teach rightly, and show no partiality, but truly teach the way of God."  (Luke 20:21, ESV)

OK, so they're hoping to *butter up* Jesus by using a flattering title and complimentary words.  They're trying to manipulate Him, trying to steer Him to an openness and freedom of conversation with them so they can then ensnare Him.

(As if Jesus is going to fall for this…)

"Is it lawful for us to give tribute [taxes] to Caesar, or not?"
(Luke 20:22, ESV)

(The trap is laid…)

And then, there is this – the part that I just love:

"But he perceived their craftiness…"  (Luke 20:23, ESV)

Other translations use these words: duplicity, trickery, deceit, cunning, guile, scheme.

Jesus KNEW their hearts, knew what they were plotting, and pointedly addressed their intent:

"Why tempt ye me?"  (Luke 20:23, KJV)

OK, so here is one of those times when I try to imagine how Jesus said this.  Did He glare at them with squinty eyes and say this quietly under His breath so only they could hear?  Did His words drip with barely-contained wrath?  Or did He say it loudly so that their plot was exposed to everyone within hearing distance?

And how did they react?

Did they jump back in surprise and fear – even just for a moment?

Then Jesus answers their question:

"Show me a denarius.  Whose likeness and inscription does it have?" 

They said, "Caesar's."

He said to them:

"Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."  (Luke 20:24-25, ESV)


Do you see how clever this reply was?

Jesus was smart, and He was also wise.

And He used His words perfectly.

I have a vision of Him saying this loudly to the crowd, and then turning back around to the spies and looking them full in the face as if to say:

"Aha!  You have your answer, and yet, you have not trapped Me!"

I think Jesus might have smirked in triumph…just a little.

Finally, my favorite part:

"And they were not able...to catch him in what he said, but marveling at his answer they became silent."  (Luke 20:26, ESV)

Other translations say they were: surprised, astonished, amazed, stunned.

But the part that I like the very best?

THEY. BECAME. SILENT.

Yup!

Shut up, speechless, thunderstruck, bowled over, flabbergasted.


You know, I'm kinda re-thinking that whole scene that I mentioned earlier – the encounter on the playground of life.

Perhaps Jesus doesn't walk away from the bullies.  Perhaps He just uses His words, His Word, and they are silenced.

And that, my friends, is not meek and mild.  It is not weak or wimpy.

It is strong, tough, powerful…and yes, maybe even a little scary.

In a good way.


As we ready ourselves for Easter this year, I would encourage you to read those beloved *words in red* in your Bible.

Let them speak to you anew.

Contemplate and ponder – 

How might Jesus have said them?

What was His tone of voice and His intent?  What were His facial expressions? Did He say them with sarcasm or pity or impatience or kindness?  Were they spoken quietly or loudly?

Put yourself there.

And look at Jesus.

The REAL Jesus.

The Jesus who will one day squish our enemies like bugs.  Who will confront those bullies with more than words.  Who will vanquish the foes, win the victory, and reign like a champion, a conqueror, a King.

Jesus.

This Jesus, who died for us.

Paid the price.

So we would never, ever again have to cower in fear.

For He defeated the greatest weapon of our greatest enemy.

He overcame death, and overpowered Satan.

And uttered these triumphant words:

"It is finished!"

"Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, 'Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!'  And having said this he breathed his last."

(John 19:30 & Luke 23:46, ESV)


Nope.

Jesus is not a wimp.

Not a coward, not a pushover, not a featherweight, not a fool.

He is the strongest man that ever lived.

And He is, indeed, my Friend.

How about you?!






He's got the whole world
in His hands.



(The actual words of Jesus Himself are italicized):


"And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written." (John 21:25, NASB)

"Then the high priest asked him, 'Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?'  Jesus said, 'I AM.  And you will see the Son of Man seated in the place of power at God's right hand and coming on the clouds of heaven.'" 
(Mark 14:61-62, NLT)

"'But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken.  And then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.  And then he will send out the angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven.'" (Mark 13:24-27, ESV)

"In that day the heir to David's throne will be a banner of salvation to all the world.  The nations will rally to him, and the land where he lives will be a glorious place." (Isaiah 11:10, NLT)

"Stop weeping!  Look, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the heir to David's throne, has won the victory." (Revelation 5:5, NLT)

"'To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne.'" (Revelation 3:21, NIV)

"Jesus replied, 'I assure you that when the world is made new and the Son of Man sits upon his glorious throne, you who have been my followers will also sit on twelve thrones...And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a hundred times as much in return and will inherit eternal life.'" 
(Matthew 19:28-29, NLT)

"'Look, I am coming soon!  My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.'" (Revelation 22:12, NIV)

"'I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me.  Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows.  But take heart, because I have overcome the world.'" (John 16:33, NLT)



What do you think about Jesus?



Linked with:

SHARING HIS BEAUTY, PLAYDATES WITH GOD, SMALL WONDER, MONDAY'S MUSINGS, MONDAYS AT SOUL SURVIVAL, MAKE A DIFFERENCE MONDAYS, GOOD MORNING MONDAYS, SOLI DEO GLORIATELL ME A TRUE STORY, TITUS 2 TUESDAYS, MOTIVATE & REJUVENATE MONDAYS, UNITE, TESTIMONY TUESDAY, TUESDAY TALK, WISE WOMAN, A LITTLE R & R WEDNESDAYS, WHOLEHEARTED WEDNESDAYS, TELL HIS STORY, TEACHING WHAT IS GOOD, COFFEE & CONVERSATION, WOMAN TO WOMAN WEDNESDAY, TELL IT TO ME TUESDAYS, WORD FILLED WEDNESDAY, THREE WORD WEDNESDAY, COFFEE FOR YOUR HEART, WOMEN WITH INTENTION
RA RA LINKUP, BELOVED BREWS, EVERYDAY JESUSLITTLE THINGS THURSDAYSGRACE AT HOME, HOUSE TO HOMETHOUGHTFUL THURSDAYS, SHINE, LIVE FREE THURSDAY, FRIENDSHIP FRIDAY, MAKE MY SATURDAY SWEET, LIGHT FRIDAY HIT LIST, FAITH & FELLOWSHIP, A GROUP LOOK, FELLOWSHIP FRIDAYS, SPIRITUAL SUNDAYS, FELLOWSHIP FRIDAY, GRACE & TRUTH, FAITH FILLED FRIDAY, SATURDAY SOIREE, RECOMMENDATION SATURDAYSTILL SATURDAY, WEEKEND BREW, GIVE ME GRACE, SUNDAY STILLNESS



BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

38 comments:

  1. I tire of those who want to present Jesus as a wimp, as someone who was a pushover and wants His children to be that also. I dare anyone who to live the life Jesus lived, die the death He did and call Him a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To always have the right words for every occasions is a quality of Jesus I admire. Although I must haven't given much thought to how he said his words. I appreciate the challenge to dig a little deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus is my Hero (so that means He is far from a wimp) but I have never considered Him one, for my concept of Jesus Christ as "meek and mild" does not include being "milk-toast" or "namby pamby" that describes me much better than He ... in fact, just the opposite as you later point out in your defense or His! As I read His Word (His words) I most often hear the tone He speaks intentionally and each word resounding His power so I often don't associate His meek and mild status with anything less than gentle strength. Nope, I see a King! Being that Jesus was a rebel in His time, I see the qualities of "meek and mild" quite differently than being a wimp, in a different light and nature. The other words that "formed in your mind" after you arrived at declaring Him "not as a wimp". I too appreciate the challenge to read His Words in red and think of His manner in which He spoke them with facial expression and tones (I guess I hear Him in my own voice as I read more than His actual voice and trust me, I'm quite dramatic, especially when I read aloud or even when I listen to Max McLean read the audio version. (Guess I hear His voice).

    However, now that I think about Jesus as "gentle" or "meek and mild", I recall the verse in Matthew 5 telling as that "... they shall inherit the earth" and for me that is power and powerful so the sound of that gentle is complete control. I think the image of "meek and mild" is from hymns and as a child (babe in a manger) not the rebel Jesus ... the word for "meek" in Greek (praeis) "to have a strong, but tender and humble, life. It is a strong yet teachable spirit. It is not being weak, bowing or spineless" (POSB Commentary on Matthew). Jesus' gentle, controlled spirit, that speaks concisely and precisely like a "two edged sword" has the power to split the veil from top to bottom! His strength is in His words so His tone or facial expression does not convey an ounce of weakness but firm, indecisive, well enunciated words that pierce the darkness and rescues me from evil, death and the grave. Far from "meek and mild" ... this rebel of Nazareth. His cleansing of the temple certainly unleashes His demeanor from being wimpish. I think the hymn writers or even the artist depiction of Jesus as meek and mild is for us to know that He is approachable and compassionate yet One who can indeed get the "job" done and HE does with "It is finished"!

    Much on my mind this early Mon. morning of Holy Week so perhaps I rambled on without declaring as well as Jesus does, but Jesus is more than "meek and mild" yet so able to meet me with His meek and mild manner wherever I am at and love me gently yet firmly with strength in His Voice far beyond my imagining, tenderness in His Voice however more than enough power, conviction and authority spoken with decisive control and implicit choice of words to convey and confound from the simplest to the most astute, Jesus conveys God's Almighty character as One of strength and power! Glory to His Name! Hosanna!

    So thankful for His strength!

    Many blessings and much love,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true, Sharon, that he is strong and is my friend too :) I'm reading this week in honor of Good Friday and Easter the gospels between Palm Sunday and Easter morning and really thinking of Jesus' actions that last week of his life, knowing what laid ahead at the cross but then also knowing what was ahead a few days later. Trying to picture his words, etc. I am sure I will learn more about him in doing so :)

    Happy Easter!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful scriptural analysis! The New Testament shows Jesus from so many different angles, we can really get a good sense of the kind of man he is. He knew there were times to be mind and gentle, and there were times to put your foot down and say enough. He is strong, but not overbearing. He puts down the scoffer, but not by being insulting. He uses the power of God in Him to subdue both the elements of nature and the natural man. He is the ultimate example to emulate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great topic for a blog! He is indeed a mighty warrior, but I love how you bring out what our assumptions sometimes are and bring us through your own thoughts. What a timely post to know how strong and conquering He really is as we are in Holy Week! Great post! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, I SO love those words in red....the life words of our Saviour. May God give us the grace to make our words as powerful in their intentionality. Great post. (and taxes? we worked on ours too. Hope your end result was in your favor.)
    Thanks for linking up with the Small Wonder Community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally believe that Jesus used his words perfectly in every situation...he could be harsh when he needed to, loving and insightful with great compassion in his tone, strong and smart. I like to imagine these things as well...about the sound of his voice, how he used his words, etc. When I was a kid and really didn't understand who he was, I imagined his voice being stern and loud....now that I really know who he is I think his voice sounds just like that of my best friend :) Super post, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this!! Jesus is not a wimp!! Amen. I think like that too sometimes, Sharon. Wondering what tone of voice came from the Savior. We know He got angry, such as with the moneychangers, so I am sure He spoke with authority when it was necessary. Beautiful post. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the painting of Jesus that Akiane painted and little Colton from "Heaven is for Real" said that is the Jesus he meet.

    http://blog.godreports.com/2012/01/for-child-art-prodigy-akiane-jesus-is-for-real/
    As always and excellent post. You always present things in a way that I can relate to. Thank you and Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like the superman Jesus, all muscled up that is portrayed by many. Neither do I like much about the pretty hippy Jesus. I don't think either of them describe Him very well. I guess that they both try to show a facet of Him and are acceptable in that way. But we really need to remember that He did have all these sides.
    The side that loved little children, the side that threw out the bankers and sellers from the temple, the side that pittied and worried about Jerusalem, the side that gave bread to hungry people because He was worried about them, the side that sat down and dined with sinners and prostitutes and the side that warned people about pharisees and their creed.
    There is so much more in Jesus that we tend to remember. Never put Jesus in a box but let Him put you where He wants you to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great time of year to be talking about the "real Jesus" -- just as we celebrate the event that verified once and for all that He is who He said He is! Happy Easter, and glad to have connected with you at Motivate and Rejuvenate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your blog. Another point to consider is that Jesus said, "You have seen Me, you have seen the Father." So thankful we have a God who came in the flesh. We take it for granted sometimes, but wow, how awesome is our God!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great thought to imagine what His voice sounded like and what His facial expressions were as He spoke! I am sure we all imagine it, He using our language and looking like us! All tribes and people must feel that way everywhere because He is friend to all of us different as we are. I like your challenge to us to read the gospels this week. Oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For sure, Jesus was not a wimp....nor frail as some portray Him. A great week to focus on Jesus and who He is, what He did and what awaits us through Him!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mother had an old picture of Jesus in the garden praying and it hung over our piano. When I was supposed to practice, I would gaze at that picture. Robert does not want pictures of Jesus in our home, probably because they are not really his likeness. About those bully's. You know the love of a father when his children are being mistreated in his view. He may not whomp those kids, but rest assured he does not like it. He probably sends his angels to play a prank on those who persecute you. Just understand they are not really getting away with it. Thanks for sharing with us here at Tell me a Story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amen! I picture Him in the temple driving the opportunists with a whip out of the temple courts and over turning their tables! Then calling the little children unto Himself… The extremes that He was on this physical earth is the very things we tend to be; we stand up for the weak and oppose the proud. My latest manuscript is on this very issue.

    Love your take and thoughts of this, Sharon! Always thought provoking and inspiring. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have always been unhappy with the renditions of him in art as well for the same reasons. Great post. Also, he will be coming back like a lion. There is nothing wimpy about that! Visiting from Coffee and Conversation link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitely not a wimp! He was the sacrificial Lamb at Calvary and He will return as the Great Lion of Judah! I'm your next-door neighbor today at Kristin's TWW.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely LOVE your thoughts on Jesus. I had never thought to think about the way He said things and that makes ALL the difference. I just LOVE this post. Thank you so much for this creative way to look at Jesus. I'm definitely sharing this. Did I mention how much I LOVE this? ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, friend, you give me some needed insights on how to approach my time in His Word. I'm in the Old Testament these days and because some times I struggle as I read I'm trying (looking) for new ways to open my eyes, heart and mind to what He wants me to receive from His Word. This just helps. And I just love you. Hope you are doing well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marveling is the word that jumped out at me. I hope I can marvel more. Thanks for this encouragement and for linking up at #ThreeWordWednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think He knew who He was and to me, knowing who you are gives strength and courage. Hugs Sharon and wishes for a very happy Easter holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Humble, yet strong. It's a difficult combo, but He's the prime example of how to do it.

    I have always been fascinated by the concept of Jesus in art -- Scripture makes a point of NOT describing Him, and when we put Him in pictures, which generally look sentimental and sappy, we sort of make a graven image of the Deity, which it seems is something He went out of His way to ask us not to do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jesus in the temple market place was no wimp! I like to think he was meek and mild, but knew how to strike a blow when needed. I've always read the words in red as zingers. Perhaps because movies always have the actor deliver the lines with no expression and sort of monotone, and cold. I'm sure that is way off the mark.

    ReplyDelete
  26. "It is finished" are 3 of the most powerful words ever spoken! The task that was at hand when those words were uttered could never have come from anyone that could be considered a wimp but one full of love and strength.

    This is why we need to spend ample time in the Word - so that we will know Him. Like you pointed out, there are so many facets of His personality. It would behoove us to know them so that we can emulate them in our own lives.

    Thanks so much for sharing this with us,Sharon. Blessings to you and yours this Holy Week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great unveiling of Jesus in al His multifaceted dimensions ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  28. I found you at Thoughtful Thursdays Linkup. I like your prompt for the post. I agree, I think Jesus was dynamic and charismatic. How else would he get those disciples to leave everything they had and were familiar with? I think I need to remember this when I feel ashamed of my passionate nature. Jesus was passionate also. Blessings to you~ Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for sharing this with us at #RaRaLinkup this week...and for the reminder of who Jesus was/is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an amazing way to read the Gospels, trying to imagine you are there with Him. You have inspired me to go back through them this week in exactly that way. This is so true: "He is the strongest man that ever lived." And I could really use some of His strength right now. Thank you for this :).

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's been a blessing to read many post this week, seeing Jesus as others see Him. We never run out of words to describe Him. looking forward to hearing Jesus speak audibly someday, to see Him face to face as He speaks, that will be heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Sharon! I'm just stopping by to wish you a Happy Easter. May God bless you and yours abundantly in this holy season.
    Happy Spring too!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amen! Jesus might not have yelled to get across His point but I believe that words can be spoken in a regular tone and still portray the emotion behind them. Jesus is our Savior and He is strong, all knowing and willing to fight for all He believes. That reassures me today. Happy Easter and thank you for linking up at The Weekend Brew.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well said! That's an interesting way to read the words in red too. Have a glorious Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Friend, your authenticity never, ever, EVER gets old. I just love it. Always. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Jesus "chose His words intentionally'. I pray we all would do the same. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post at Motivate and Rejuvenate! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I tend to think our musings about our Savior please Him immensely. Because even though we'll never know on this side of heaven whether we're accurate, that we would take time to ponder Him shows how we value Him. Thanks for linking up with us at Grace & Truth!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, dear friend! It would take me a long time to tell what Jesus truly means to me! He comes to mean more to me with each passing day. Truly, as we walk together, side-by-side, and as we experience life, our relationship becomes more real and more precious to me. I am so thankful He saved me and brought me out of a life of sin and selfishness. What a glorious thought! Thank you for this wonderful post...I, too, wonder about His body language, tone of voice, and mannerisms. It would have been so awesome to have seen it firsthand. Lord willing, one day, we will see Him face-to-face to never part from Him again!!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)