Monday, August 29, 2016

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?


The county fair.

I love going to the county fair!

A couple of weeks ago, my youngest son and his wife were planning to go, and since I was in town, they kindly asked me to accompany them!  I hadn't been in quite a long time, so I was quite excited about it!

For one thing, I knew I was going to able to do something about my recent fixation on corn dogs!

Did I indulge, you ask?

Oh yes, and instead of wasting my time eating two of them, I ordered a foot-long one, and it was delicious!

(Sidenote: I'm particular about my corn dog condiments – the ketchup and mustard must lie next to each other like a yin/yang symbol – therefore ensuring that I will have a bit of both in each bite!)

I also ate part of my son's dessert choicea half brownie/half chocolate chip cookie concoction. 

It was not a night to count calories, my friends!


After eating, we wandered around, just looking at the sights, and taking in the smells!  

And then I finally bought some tickets for games.  

Yeah, we played a couple of games, even though I know how *rigged* they are.

(Does anyone know why you always see several people with those huge stuffed animals?  How do they do it?  I figure that those prizes probably cost someone a lot of $$$!)

And speaking of rigged, those carnival game people are smart.

The tickets were sold in blocks of 5 or 10but all games were played for either 6 or 7 or 12 tickets.  So, at some point, you'd either be left with unused tickets, or forced to pay for more.  (Clever, clever…)

I digress.


As we walked, I looked at the rides, and it didn't take much to know that I would not be going on any of them!

No one, and most certainly not me, was interested in seeing corn dog or brownie/cookie againas my inner ear doesn't do well with any sort of challenging movement!

However, little did I know that my son and daughter-in-law had some plans.

There was one ride they wanted to go on – and they wanted me to go, too.

The Giant Slide!

They mentioned their plans as we approached…

Well, I looked at that towering monster of undulating lanes, as I tried to focus on the "ants" at the top (people?), and inhaled deeply.

"I don't know, it looks kinda scary," I said hesitantly.

They convinced me that that was half the fun.

So, I climbed that tower with them, laid down my (flimsy) little sliding mat, and pushed off.  There was absolutely nothing to hold on to!  I prayed that I'd be able to continue to sit upright the whole ride down!

I did, but it was super fast!  

I yelled laughed until I reached the bottom!  

In retrospect, I'm so glad that they urged (forced) me to do this ride with them.  I think they had more fun because I did it.

And you know what?

I was rather proud of myself for doing it!!  

Take that, 62 years old…


We finished the evening by looking at some exhibits, visiting the animals, and admiring the vegetable gardens.

But the highlight was the thrill of that slide ride.

You know the feeling – that curious mix of great fun and sheer terrorwhen you want to scream and laugh at the same time.

It's like…

Going to college.

Getting married.

Starting a new job.

Moving to a new location.

Having a baby.

Yeah, like that.


When the evening was done, and I got ready for bed, I pulled out the ticket that I had bought for the evening.  And as I looked at what was printed on it, I chuckled softly to myself:

THIS IS YOUR FUNCARD.

Yes, permission granted to have a great time!


I've thought about that.

Sometimes I think my serious, pondering nature makes it harder to have fun.  And sometimes, it's almost like I don't allow myself to let go of my problems.

Yes, life is tough.

It can be a great big slidefull of ups and downs and frightening speedsand sometimes there's not much to hold on to.

Sometimes life itself is just sheer terror and unmitigated joy, all mixed together.

And sometimes that feeling happens in our faith journey, too.

Like when we are asked to take a leap of faith with the Lord!

When He calls us to something bigger than we can handle.

Or when He ends one thing even though we see no new thing on the horizon.

Or when He asks for greater patience, or greater endurance, or greater trust.


Frankly, I find the life of discipleship to be a little dizzying sometimes, and the way the Lord moves challenges me!

Yes, my greatest challenge is to not let fear keep me from His plans.

But when I get afraid, or dismayed, or unsure, or discouraged, I remember a certain day in time

A day when an empty tomb was discovered.

For most people, it was a moment of sheer terror and unmitigated joy.

Especially for those who had followed Jesus most closely.

I wonder at their thoughts…


Can it be true?

What if it is true?

Will we see Him?

If we see Him, will He be angry with us?

What will He say?

What will we say to Him?

What's going to happen now?


Yes, a giant slide of emotions and thoughts must have swept through their ranks, stirring their hearts in a jumble of conflicting reactions.

And yet, we know how the story ends.

It was true.

They saw Him.

He wasn't angry.

He told them a lot, and gave them a job to do.

They responded in faith.

And the world changed.


I don't think it's much different for each one of us when we accept His gift of salvation.

Something fundamental changes about our lives in that moment.

Why?

Because I think it is the moment when Jesus hands us the ticket to abundant life.

THIS IS YOUR FUNCARD.


So, how will we respond in the aftermath of our salvation?

Will we climb the heights, even though we're afraid?

Will we weather the ups and downs, even when there's not much to hold on to?

Will we follow even though the end is far off in the distance?

Will we laugh and cry and yell?

Most certainly.

Because the life of discipleship is crazycrazy scary, and crazy good.


But I will take the challenge.


Punch my funcard, Lord.

I'm along for the ride…



What do you think about the life of discipleship?






Life is a roller coaster,
up and down,
Full of twists and turns,
and then, a crown. 




"'I am the LORD your God, who teaches you how to succeed, who leads you in the way you should go.'" (Isaiah 48:17, NET Bible)

"…whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it…they will be blessed in what they do." (James 1:25, NIV)

"For he will not often consider the years of his life, because God keeps him occupied with the gladness of his heart." (Ecclesiastes 5:20, NASB)

"Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever." (Psalm 23:6, NLT)

"For if, being enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved in His life!" (Romans 5:10, Berean Bible)

"Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him…" (Hebrews 7:25, ESV)

"In Him was Life, and the Life was the Light of men." (John 1:4, AMP)

"And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son." (1 John 5:11, ESV)

"This one who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen him.  And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the one who is eternal life." 
(1 John 1:2, NLT)

"'I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.'" (John 10:10, ESV)

"'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.'" (John 14:6, NLT)

"'I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" (John 8:12, NIV)

"'I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die.'" 
(John 11:25-26, NASB)

"'I give them eternal life…'" (John 10:28, NLT)



Linked with:

SMALL WONDER, MONDAY'S MUSINGS, MONDAYS AT SOUL SURVIVAL, TELL ME A TRUE STORY, TITUS 2 TUESDAY, LIFE GIVING LINKUP, GOOD MORNING MONDAYS, MONDAY OF MANY BLESSINGS, THANK GOODNESS IT'S MONDAY, THE ART OF HOMEMAKING MONDAYS, MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY, MUSING MONDAYS, MODEST MONDAY, MOTIVATION MONDAY, INSPIRE ME MONDAY, LIVING PROVERBS, MOM-TO-MOM MONDAYS, MOMENTS OF HOPE, GLIMPSES LINKUP, WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY, TESTIMONY TUESDAY, TUESDAY TALK, RA RA LINKUP, TEACHING WHAT IS GOOD, INTENTIONAL TUESDAY, WISE WOMAN, TELL HIS STORY, WORD FILLED WEDNESDAYCHRISTIAN BLOGGER COMMUNITY, THREE WORD WEDNESDAY, COFFEE FOR YOUR HEART, COFFEE & CONVERSATION, WOMEN WITH INTENTION, SITTING AMONG FRIENDS, FROM MESSES TO MESSAGES, THE LOFT LINKUP, GRACE MOMENTS, THANKFUL THURSDAYS, LIVE FREE THURSDAY, THURSDAY FAVORITE THINGS, SHINE BLOG HOP, THOUGHT-PROVOKING THURSDAY, FROM HOUSE TO HOME, GRACE AT HOME, THOUGHTFUL THURSDAYS, LITTLE THINGS THURSDAY, COZY READING SPOT, NO RULES WEEKEND BLOG PARTY, 100 HAPPY DAYS, FUNTASTIC FRIDAY, BLOGGERS SPOTLIGHT PARTY, FRIENDSHIP FRIDAY, EVERYDAY TESTIMONY, FAITH FILLED FRIDAY, SPIRITUAL SUNDAYS, FAITH 'N FRIENDS, GRACE & TRUTH, DANCE WITH JESUS, FAMILY, FRIENDSHIP & FAITH, FRIDAY FEATURE PARTY, MAKE MY SATURDAY SWEET, TGI SATURDAYS, WORD OF GOD SPEAK, SMALL VICTORIES SUNDAY, GIVE ME GRACE



BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

25 comments:

  1. Another stellar analogy, Sharon!
    Yes, the discipleship ride is definitely a crazy and unpredictable one to be on, but it's the "fun card" of our lives. Knowing God is sliding with us makes all the difference.
    Thank you today for your uplifting, entertaining words that re-energized me for His service.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun with the fair and the slide! Glad you took the plunge so to speak. Timely words today, Sharon. It is a roller coaster sometimes in our lives and we do sometimes have to have that leap of faith especially when the events around us make no sense. Csn I ask you to say a prayer for me? God will know exactly why. Something happening here that I finally had to tell Jesus, I don't understand it, it doesn't make sense, but I will trust in you.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you make a great point about the funcard both in life and in spiritual things, too. It is a good balance to enjoy some levity because life is hard especially for those with deeper temperaments. I'm glad your family urged you on with them and I like your advice to take Jesus up on the adventure of trusting Him in all things by letting go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, LOVE this post!! I can so relate to what you were saying about not being able to let loose and have fun. Oh, my, how do we ever learn to do that? I am SO thankful you chose to ride the slide with your dear family...such sweet and precious memories you created together. So grateful for you and your friendship, sweet friend. :) Praying for you, and sending you much love and many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how fun! I miss going to places/events like that. Where I can eat whatever I want (mostly hotcake!) and just enjoy my time.

    I'm never the type to count calories so I would have enjoyed it there too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sharon, what a gift you have and are for me!!! Who but you could turn a "fair" and a "slide" into a faith ride with such spectacular analogies to our spiritual ups and downs! Your "fair" fun expressions throughout the spiritual "slide", Jesus, salvation, the disciples, etc. priceless!!!

    I, too, fear rides, but don't mind this gigantic slide (maybe not any longer at our age would I still chance it, our MN fair is currently ongoing so I guess I won't get a chance to see) - it's one whoosh of fun and I recently have noticed that I have been lacking fun and laughter in my life. "Am I having fun yet?" would not be a question I'd be able to answer here and now, as the one on discipleship. Such a serious topic handled with such a JOY! as always Sharon ... delightful!

    Many blessings and love that your summer is ending on a higher fun note ... let's whoosh that other heavy stuff aside and enjoy while we can! Love you Sharon ~ Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I love that: "THIS IS YOUR FUNCARD." It made me think of a Man Card and how it can be revoked! We don't want that, now do we? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, whenever I start to read these posts of yours, although I know there is going to be a parallel, it immediately gets the wheels turning in my brain as to how you will apply this to your life...and ours as well. Well, you did it again, my friend. What a perfect analogy of our lives as the Lord's disciples. You nailed it...again :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like my mustard and ketchup together in each bite too. :) I recently hiked on Mount Rainier, which was a scary thing for me to. So good for both of us in being brave at our ages! Have a great week, Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can honestly say I'm having more "fun" in my life at 55 than ever before. So grateful for time with Him that sets the tone for the "fun" times. Visiting today from #RaRaLinkup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We miss so much when we fail to "strike out" into the wild blue yonder and play it safe. Glad it was a good memory for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun post! Yes, this life we live is definitely a ride and it's good to live in the right mindset! What a great encouragement! Thanks for these words! (your neighbor at #IntentionalTuesday)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, the county fair was always a highlight of the summer for me growing up. I am impressed that you actually got on the ride. I'm afraid I would have passed on the offer(demand) from your daughter and son-in-law. The excitement has gotten a bit less inviting as I get older. Maybe that is my problem when it comes to daily activities in my life. And even my spiritual journey. Like you, I tend to not get too far out of my comfort zone. I do have lots of dreams...hoping one day soon some of them will come to fruitation!Thanks for sharing, Sharon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ***Sorry, I meant to say your son and daughter-in-law.

      Delete
  14. As usual another great and fun story/adventure. My husband has a love of corn-dogs that matches yours and if I eat them, I must have the yin/yang with the condiments too LOL thanks for sharing in your fun humorous way that always points back to Jesus - Yes Lord, punch my fun card too... stopping by from #WomenWithIntention where we are neighbors today

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sharon! You survived the corn dog, sweets and the ride - then still could tell your story. Our story is important. Thank you for yours. Blessings, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sharon, you have a wonderful way of telling your story...in such specific, descriptive ways that I could almost taste the corn dog and feel the bumps on the slide! Delightful! What a great analogy of our walk with Christ...I love Psalm 37:4...here's my acronym for DELIGHT:
    Daily
    Everything
    Laid
    Into
    God’s
    Hands
    Totally

    many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love the message and take away! It's all about using our gift of free will to choose to see it as fun. No, we've all had the days of tears and stress, but it's temporary. We have peace and joy within. And that's a fun card from the inside out and designed by God.

    Where's the slide? Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great message Sharon. For sure I don't always use my fun card as I should. Thanks for the reminder to not to be so serious and continue to find delight in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am serious most of the time, and I probably need a "Fun Card." Our outings are to the Doctor, or grocery shopping. The latest fun thing I did was meet my daughter in Sacramento and we attended the Joyce Meyer Conference. For us both that was fun and also edifying. I am glad you went on that slide. It reminded me of a slide at San Francisco Play Land at the beach. It may have been in the fun house, I can't remember. Anyway there was a very long stair way and you carried a gunny sack with you to sit on. Good memories of having fun. Thank you for sharing with us here at Tell me a True Story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love that - I think God gives us a Fun Card every day! (tho scary at times - this week I quit my job - scary AND fun! to see what He has next - oh! did you see my farewell to fair Corn Dog recipe last week? you could have fun w/o the ticket!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! This is your Fun Card! "Because the life of discipleship is crazy – crazy scary, and crazy good." You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for sharing at The Loft!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this Sharon. I would have laughed with you going down the slide, what fun! Thanks for sharing with Thankful Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I always know that when I come to your place, I will be leaving with a smile. We just came through (survived) fair season here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post! I'm so glad you went down the slide.....

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)