Monday, August 22, 2016

ONLY SKIN DEEP


The other day "The Hub" and I had to go to the dermatologist.

And since we live almost an hour away from his office, we scheduled back-to-back appointments.

We made the long, twisty trip – and stepped out into an oven.

I don't know how hot it was – well over 100 degrees – but if I'd had an egg handy, I'm sure it would have fried, in my hand.

We were early for our appointments, but opted to go and sit inside where the cooling A/C wafted over our sweat-covered brows and reminded us of an oasis.  (Poetic touch…nice, huh?!)

As we waited, I looked around at the people surrounding us.

This day there was a good across-the-board representation of all ages.

Usually there's a preponderance of middle-aged people in various stages of *skin repair.*

I've put them into categories…

There are the people who have spent way too many hours in the sun – just like "The Hub” and I – and have the marks and bumps and discolorations to prove it.  This is the consultation and check-up crowd.

Then there are the people who have had some sort of procedure to fix the various marks and bumps and discolorations.  Trust me, people, we've seen some gnarly looking bandages and some Frankenstein-worthy stitches!

Finally, there are the ladies (and the occasional gentleman) with obvious (mostly well done) plastic surgery and injections of various fillers.

May the Lord forgive me, but I always seem to judge.

Besides the fact that plastic surgery is very expensive, I am way too afraid to have anything done on me!  I would be the unfortunate soul with numbness, or residual twitching, or hardness, or scarring, or any number of "Wow, that usually doesn't happen" complications.

Now don't get me wrong, I respect anyone's right to plastic surgery, and if you've had some done yourself, you go for it!

But I will never understand what makes anyone think that giant lips or a frozen face or a perpetually surprised expression is attractive.  Just my opinion…


OK, so finally we're ushered into the examining room, after politely being asked whether we'd like to be seen separately.  I am tempted to say that we'd rather not be seen at all, but I keep my thoughts to myself.

It's a *full skin check* day, so there's disrobing involved.

OK, no big deal, it's not like "The Hub" and I are showing off anything we haven't seen before.  But still, in a doctor's office, it all feels a little weird.

My appointment was first, so I got to sit on the examining chair.

"The Hub" sat across from me in another chair.

As I looked over at him, and then looked down at myself, I started laughing.

"What's so funny?" he asked me.

"Look at us.  Here we are in our matching hospital gowns, nude as the day we were born.  What a pair we make!" I chuckled.

He started laughing, too.

That's when I made the comment, "Wow, living large!"

I just could not stop laughing.


All things considered, I like the fact that "The Hub" and I go to all our doctors' appointments together.  I like having him with me to make sure that I get all my questions answered, and that I have all the follow-up instructions accurate and complete.

And truthfully, I get very nervous at doctor's appointments, so it's nice to have some back-up along.

I think he takes me along so that I hear all the information first-hand. That way he doesn't have to deal with my million questions when he gets home…

"Did you ask about…?"

"What did he tell you to…?"

"Why didn’t you remember to say…?"


So it's nice to bond over appointment time (???)

However, I have noticed in all my medical travels that it's usually middle-aged and older people that travel together.  I know my parents never went to an appointment alone.

Retirement at its best??

So, sitting there in that examining room, in our matching gowns, waiting to have our marks, bumps, and discolorations checked out, I felt kinda old.

How on earth did this happen?

The years keep piling on, and I keep aging, but inside I feel much the same as I did a good long time ago.

It's one of time's mysteries, I think.


So finally the doctor came in.

And, like a mad scientist with his bug-sized goggles on, he inspected me from head-to-toe.

Randomly and rapidly, without any warning, he took his trusty little canister of liquid nitrogen and zapped several *things* on my body.  (This is called cryotherapy – I think because it hurts and makes you shed a tear or two).

Then it was "The Hub's" turn – he got zapped, too.

The doctor shook our hands – thank you, Igor – and left the room.

The kind nurse assistant asked if we'd like her to leave while we put our clothes back on.  We told her that we didn't care if she stayed, as long as she didn't laugh.

I thought I heard a snicker, but it might just have been her clearing her throat??

And as "The Hub" and I paid the bill, I looked at our blistered bodies and thought to myself, once again, "What a pair we make…"


On the drive home, I got to thinking about skin.

Skin is really an amazing thing.

Here's some fun facts:

1. It's the body's largest organ.

2. An average adult's skin spans 21 square feet, weighs nine pounds, and contains more than 11 miles of blood vessels.

3. In one square inch of skin there are 625 sweat glands and 90 oil glands. There are also 19 million cells, 19 feet of blood vessels, 19,000 sensory cells, 65 hairs, and about one million pores.  Best of all, 20 million microscopic animals, such as mites, live in each square inch.  (I am the hostess with the mostest??)

4. Every inch of your skin has an exact stretchiness and strength for its location.

5. Your skin performs a range of different functions, which include physically protecting your bones, muscles and internal organs, and protecting your body from outside diseases.

6. Skin plays an important role in regulating body temperature, allowing you to feel and react to heat and cold and using blood to regulate your body heat. Your skin acts as your body's thermostat.

7. The skin releases as much as three gallons of sweat a day in hot weather. (Areas that don't sweat include the nail bed, the margins of the lips, and the eardrums).

8. Body odor comes from a second kind of sweat – a fatty secretion – and the odor is caused by bacteria on the skin eating and digesting those fatty compounds.  (Yum…)

9. A fetus doesn't develop fingerprints until three months' gestation.  Some people never develop fingerprints at all.

10. Your skin regenerates itself, shedding its dead skin cells on a daily basis, creating a new layer of skin every 28 days.

11. Your skin sheds 50,000 cells every minute.

12. Globally, dead skin accounts for about a billion tons of dust in the atmosphere.  (OK, this is just disgusting.  Forget global warming, global shedding is a much more serious problem, eh?!)

13. There are at least five types of receptors in the skin that respond to pain and to touch.

14. All mammals have some hair on their skin, even if it isn't easy for you to see.  And some animals have very thick skin – for example, a rhinoceros’ skin can be as thick as ½" – 2".  (However, though a rhino may be thick-skinned, I wouldn’t tease him, just sayin').


Those are some fun physical facts, but there is a spiritual fact that is also true.

While we live on this earth, our skin is like the body's *house.*

It's a temporary abode for all the things that make us who we are.

The Bible calls our body a *tent*and I can think of no more apt description for our skin – a covering that shelters us for a time, until we return home.

For indeed, there will come a day when we leave this body and go to be with Jesus.

Listen to the words of Paul:

"For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands.  We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing.  For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies.  While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it's not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us.  Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life.  God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit." (2 Corinthians 5:1-5, NLT)


I love the imagery of putting on the new body like clothing – and I think of the concept of literally putting on new skin!

Yes, for the time being, my body and my skin ages, and needs a lot more attention than it used to.

And yes, there are days when I groan inside of it.

But these sufferings are only temporary, for there is a day coming when my perishable will put on imperishable, and I will live forever!

Can you even imagine?!


The freedom!

The rejuvenation!

The energy!

The glory!


Yes, in so many ways, this life is only *skin deep*...




What reminds you that this life is only temporary?






Walking home...




"He remembered that they were but flesh, a wind that passes and comes not again." (Psalm 78:39, ESV)

"How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow?  Your life is like the morning fog – it's here a little while, then it's gone." (James 4:14, NLT)

"All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return." (Ecclesiastes 3:20, NIV)

"All these people died still believing what God had promised them.  They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it.  They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth." (Hebrews 11:13, NLT)

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us." (2 Corinthians  4:7, ESV)

"Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord." (2 Corinthians 5:8, NLT)

"So is it with the resurrection of the dead.  What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable.  It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory.  It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power.  It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body.  If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body." 
(1 Corinthians 15:42-44, ESV)

"For the trumpet will sound…and we shall be changed.  For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written:

'Death is swallowed up in victory.
O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?'"

(1 Corinthians 15:52-55, ESV)


"He will give eternal life to those who keep on doing good, seeking after the glory and honor and immortality that God offers." (Romans 2:7, NLT)

"For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son [as Savior], so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life." (John 3:16, AMP)

"Jesus said…'I am the resurrection and the life.  The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die.'" (John 11:25-26, NIV)

"'And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day.'" (John 6:39, NLT)

"…as for me, God will redeem my life.  He will snatch me from the power of the grave." (Psalm 49:15, NLT)

"For you have delivered my soul from death…that I may walk before God in the light of life." (Psalm 56:13, ESV)

"My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better." 
(Philippians 1:23, ESV)

"I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes – I, and not another.  How my heart yearns within me!" (Job 19:25-27, NIV)

"I shall walk before the LORD In the land of the living." (Psalm 116:19, NASB)




Linked with:

SMALL WONDER, MONDAY'S MUSINGS, MONDAYS AT SOUL SURVIVAL, LIFE GIVING LINKUP, GOOD MORNING MONDAYS, MONDAY OF MANY BLESSINGS, THANK GOODNESS IT'S MONDAY, THE ART OF HOMEMAKING MONDAYS, MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY, MUSING MONDAY, MODEST MONDAY, MOTIVATION MONDAY, INSPIRE ME MONDAY, LIVING PROVERBS, MOM-TO-MOM MONDAYS, MOMENTS OF HOPE, GLIMPSES LINKUP, TELL ME A TRUE STORY, WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY,  TITUS 2 TUESDAY, TESTIMONY TUESDAY, TUESDAY TALK, RA RA LINKUP, TEACHING WHAT IS GOOD, INTENTIONAL TUESDAY, WISE WOMAN, TELL HIS STORY, WHOLEHEARTED WEDNESDAY, CHRISTIAN BLOGGER COMMUNITY, WORD FILLED WEDNESDAY, COFFEE FOR YOUR HEART, COFFEE & CONVERSATION, WOMEN WITH INTENTION, SITTING AMONG FRIENDS, FROM MESSES TO MESSAGES, GRACE MOMENTS, THANKFUL THURSDAYS, LIVE FREE THURSDAY, THURSDAY FAVORITE THINGS, SHINE BLOG HOP, THOUGHT-PROVOKING THURSDAY, THOUGHTFUL THURSDAYS, GRACE AT HOME, LITTLE THINGS THURSDAY, COZY READING SPOT, NO RULES WEEKEND BLOG PARTY, FROM HOUSE TO HOME, FUNTASTIC FRIDAY, FRIENDSHIP FRIDAY, EVERYDAY TESTIMONY, FAITH FILLED FRIDAY, SPIRITUAL SUNDAYS, FAITH 'N FRIENDS, MAKE MY SATURDAY, GRACE & TRUTH, DANCE WITH JESUS, FRIDAY FEATURE PARTY, TGI SATURDAYS, SMALL VICTORIES SUNDAY, WORD OF GOD SPEAK




BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

27 comments:

  1. I am with yiu, Sharon. I wondef how did I get do old so quick? I look forward to that day where we will have a new body. I look forward to the day there will be no more suffeting and no kore tears. What a glorious day that will be.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Sharon ... what amazing facts on 'skin'? Only you could come up with this wonderful blog post of "skin deep", dermatologist appt., aging and tie it to the spiritual side so well. Such delightful humor as always. Such beautiful togetherness you and the Hubs share. I'm a wee bit jealous at such kinship, soulmate and skin deep companionship. My "tent's" in need of much repair.

    I was sure that one of the groups that you broke this down into would be the younger teens and adults with acne issues because that's what I associate with a dermatologist. (duh?) Never crossed my mind that plastic surgery and so I'll stay away from judging any in any of these categories, I have my own issues of "skin" stuff. However, I am pondering your 'temporary' life question ... and looking forward to that eternal one but not quite yet as I think there's some really important pending work yet to finish in this earthly abode... like salvation of others.
    For a quick shot at an answer, I guess I'd have to say the loss of so many loved ones before me and so many dear people (sisters in Christ) confronting chronic illnesses especially cancer that breaks my heart to see such an increase in this and the need of miracles. Inside (you're so right) I do feel somewhat the same but looking at my outside tent ... well, saggy and bagging ... from my eyes to my ... (we won't go there) so I guess this makes me ever so keenly aware of "this old house ain't getting" younger and "ain't a gonna need this house much longer" Yeah looking back is not as good as looking forward. But praise God we have a Redeemer and Savior that's in the "restoration" business.

    No more tears and suffering... that's what I long to see as we graciously long to see Jesus (here through others) and eternally face to face. Precious ... thanks Sharon.

    Many blessings and much love,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and I can't tell you how much your "grateful thoughts" touched me especially "unload" ... priceless and treasure-able!

      Delete
  3. Sharon, this is one of the best posts I've ever read here - love the non-stop humor, especially in the togetherness at the doctor's - lol!
    You've reminded me, too, that I could use a trip to the dermatologist to check out my marks and bumps and discolorations. Aging isn't for sissies, is it?
    And with you, I am looking forward to that "new skin" I will wear in the Kingdom of heaven.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon, I'm Anne from Birdsong Bits and Pieces (https://birdsongbitsandpieces.blogspot.com), and I found you through the Art of Homemaking blog hop. Thanks for this post on the derm appt! I've been putting this off, but I really need to go. You've given me some courage! Just thought I'd take a sec to follow you and say hi. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you painted all too familiar a scene here. I'm in the room with Ed at least 3-4 times a year for body checks and zapping. Have an appointment coming up in a couple weeks, in fact. But, the idea of both together at the same time--naw, not in New Jersey. Lots of fascinating facts about skin, milady--wondering what kind of new skin our spiritual bodies will have. Meanwhile, I use this "stepping into another's skin" when I teach characterization in drama classes. Helps us change our frame of reference. But, I think we can get pretty confused if we don't daily step into the resurrected Jesus' skin--and learn to see things the way He does.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. All too familiar, Sharon, except my husband and I have not started the sharing appt thing yet for the dermatologist. We do share when I have had a pre-surgery appt. I am sitting here at my computer while my husband stretches his back on the bed so I had to read this to him. We had a chuckle too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sharon, This was really quite funny. Actually, it took me awhile to figure out that hubs was your husband. LOL. I look forward to the day when we will have glorified bodies and be with Jesus. yes, this world is just temporary. I love your world view and humorous perspective on something like a doctor's appt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post, Sharon! So open, honest, and transparent! My hubs and I have our doctors appointment together too...What a wonderful gift to be comfortable in our own skin with our hubs...just like God made us...many blessings to you and your hubs ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me the pain in my joints on low pressure days reminds me of my frail body and to keep my chin up as I age because someday I'll have a resurrected one. Very funny story of your trip to the dermatologist! I posted a graphic on FB last week of a support group for plastic surgery. The leader looks at the circle of people welcoming them and says: "I see some new faces out there!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon, great encouragement! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to laugh.....visualizing you both in the office, naked as a jay bird......waiting....chatting....and I love the picture of your feet. Great pic!!! Great story....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed reading this Sharon and liked that you summed up skin as our home, the tent we live in and boy how imperfect we all are. Happy Week to you and the hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well you're not alone… well, I guess you aren't anyway since the Hubs hangs with you at the doctor's office, but in getting things burned off. Cold, schmold. If it blisters it's burning… and I don't care if they call it "freezing"…

    Growing up around a lake in the Arizona gave me a head start. I've been getting burnt and cut on, which is even worse, for a decade already… maybe that's why I don't feel old about it!

    The skin facts are great… good for dieting too… But the truth of this soul cage is a good reminder… One day we will be perfect… in Him.

    Thanks for the reminder, Sharon… and laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much good to ponder here -- especially our skin being our tent, which brings to mind the Tabernacle where the presence of God dwelt in OT times. Hmmm. So good, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow such amazing information on skin. Our skin does hold us together for sure. Our Doctor zaps me at times with his zapper gun. Warts and moles appear out of no where at times. Lately, I have been applying some apple cider vinegar on the offending places and it seems to be working. I too like to go to the Doctor along with Robert. Being Kaiser patients, we must travel round trip 300 miles to see our Doc. Oh well it is an outing and lunch afterwards. Thank you for sharing with us here at Tell me a Story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good post!!! So much in our skin and sharing it with our partner. I, too, would have been laughing in that room with my hubby. I know I will be doing all this too soon also. How fast time flies. I am so glad heaven means all things new!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the imagery of putting on our new body like clothes. I can't wait to see what that looks like!
    The thing that reminds me il getting older is my daughter's about to have her 30th birthday. How did that happen?!?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the post... the humor... the facts and the application! Wonderful! :) Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Sharon, you ALWAYS make me laugh--mostly because you describe in such accurate detail my life as a sixty-something! Great writing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. True, funny and wonderful.

    We don't realize this much about our skin. I'm your neighbor at missional woman link up.

    Marie
    @spreadingJOY
    spreading-joy.org

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this giggle. My skin is so annoying. Between wrinkles and rashes. I don't laugh about it often. I needed this! Blessings and thanks for linking up at Faith 'n Friends Blog Hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Sharon, there really are no words. Exceptional post! My husband and I go to appts together. I like to think it reflects the level of care we have for each other, rather than age ;) Have a blessed week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great word of encouragement. This blessed me so much. Thanks for linking up with the #LMMLinkup this week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Global shedding! Hehe! That is pretty gross.

    I wonder if our new skin on our new bodies will shed? :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Isn't the skin an amazing creation?! Yeah, I think global shedding is something we need to waste money on instead of global warming. Eeek! :) Thanks for sharing with Thankful Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I recently went to see a dermatologist for the first time. I have a few tags to get removed and thankfully the only thing he said I was guilty of is very dry skin. Heavy creams now! Also I have a thing about all the cosmetic things people do today, the fills, etc. Let's grow old how according to how God intended. I agree, how did this happen, where did the time go. We just had a taste of doing things together since I was recently sick. My husband has taken me to my errands. God give us patience! Thanks for the interesting facts.

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)