Sunday, May 20, 2012

BIBLE PICK 'EMS - New Format!


Things are rather hectic in my neck of the woods lately.

So I've decided to *re-vamp* the look of "Bible Pick 'Ems"…make it a little "shorter and sweeter" for now…

If you recall, these were my original thoughts about "Pick 'ems":

I know it probably isn't "spiritually PC" to randomly open the Bible and expect to find a meaningful verse – it opens the door to the whole "out of context" dilemma. (And...you might just find yourself in Leviticus!!) But, I decided that I wanted to do this, along with my regular reading through the Bible. The way I figured it, I wasn't *testing* God – in other words, "prove something to me, Lord" – I was *trusting* God "show something to me, Lord." After all, don't we know that His Word is living, breathing, and powerful?!

So, I'm pickin' every day – letting you know what was going on with me that day – and then I'm going to sum up the *theme of the week* that I think God was impressing on my heart.

Hope you're as blessed as I've been!!



MONDAY – (Feeling overwhelmed and tired...) "Then the Spirit came into me and set me on my feet." (Ezekiel 3:24) 


TUESDAY – (Problems, problems, problems...) "O our God, hear your servant's prayer!  Listen as I plead…O my God, lean down and listen to me. Open your eyes and see our despair…We make this plea, not because we deserve help, but because of your mercy.  O Lord, hear…O Lord, listen and act! For your own sake, do not delay…" (Daniel 9:17-19)


WEDNESDAY – (Feeling alone...are You there, God?) "But I will reveal my name to my people, and they will come to know its power.  Then at last they will recognize that I am the one who speaks to them."  (Isaiah 52:6) 


THURSDAY – (After living in my home for 28 years, I'm really panicky and sad to leave...) "The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words.  I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: The faithful love of the LORD never ends!  His mercies never cease.  Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning."  (Lamentations 3:19-23) 


FRIDAY – (Wondering if I'm really doing the right thing...) "Then I heard the LORD asking, 'Whom should I send as a messenger to this people?  Who will go for us?'  I said, 'Here I am.  Send me.' And he said, 'Yes, go…'"  
(Isaiah 6:8-9)  


SATURDAY – (In spite of all that's going on, and all the things I'm feeling, I know God is near...) "I will praise the LORD at all times.  I will constantly speak his praises…let all who are helpless take heart…I prayed to the LORD and he answered me.  He freed me from all of my fears…In my desperation I prayed, and the LORD listened; he saved me from all of my troubles.  For the angel of the LORD is a guard; he surrounds and defends all who fear him."  
(Psalm 34:1-2, 4, 6-7)


Well…ahemI think God was speaking directly to my heart about moving.  The emotions I have felt this week have been complex and difficult.

But through it all, I keep praying, and God keeps answering me.


His Word speaks...


I do well to listen.


What has God said to YOU this week?


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

5 comments:

  1. Peace and blessing my dear Sharon,

    I like this new BP format challenge, though I miss a bit of the depth as you share a specific one, this dosis is just perfect to see God speaking daily to you and I'm so glad He does and is (that you hear Him) confirmed in His Word... Once again, you vividly show His Word is for today, every day, living and breathing and speaking to you clearly... Praying for you through the ups and downs,
    just keep looking up!

    Love <3 HUGS,
    Peggy
    (SOS is for you today) I'm using a friend's computer... so grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your new format Sharon! I've been reading the gospels again; I just reviewed a book Heaven in Her Arms about traits Mary had that made her the one God wanted for Jesus' mother here on earth. I've been pondering a lot about those traits in reading the gospels and one thing that struck me this week that I believe God was telling me was when the angel said to Mary and Zechariah and the shepherds "Don't be afraid" God is telling me, don't be afraid, I'm with you; I got you covered, even in the midst of hard times (and we know Mary had hard times) God was there. He never promises us easy, but he does promise us he'll never leave us or forsake us. I need to tattoo that on my heart and mind!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new format too - I think it will be interesting and new! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited about the new format. Sometimes we just need a change. You always have something to share I can hang on to.

    I've been thinking about wisdom this week. "The wisdom of the prudent gives thought to his ways." Wesley notes says, "a diligent study of his duty."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon,

    I think we have had some of the same feelings, maybe not in the same order, but some of my emotions have been a bit complex and difficult. As you know moving is on the agenda for me too and sometimes it can be a bit daunting. But wherever we move, it is a comfort to know The Lord goes before us, with us and after us.

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)