Saturday, July 23, 2011

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!”

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

"The great adventure with the will of God never seemed more inviting than it does today. Upheaving forces are felt underneath all the life of this world. Great loves and hates are kindling, whole layers of society that have seemed stolid are beginning to stir with the consciousness of wanting more life.

It is time to preach the Gospel of God in terms that people on the street can understand. It is time to infuse into the lay membership of the church an enthusiasm for communicating the wonderful way of living...

Christian men and women everywhere in business and social life must find out how to make those whom they meet every day feel the power of life that beats within them. They must know how to share it with others and so be true to its inmost spirit."

(From "What It Means To Be A Christian" by Edward Increase Bosworth, c. 1922)


Is this message any less timely than when it was written almost 90 years ago?!


(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

6 comments:

  1. Always great words for my Saturday morning...and no these words aren't any less timely than when they were first written...may I get the same passion to share the love of Christ...well I have a whole new neighbor to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on. The more things change the more God's word stays the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The neat thing about Jesus is that He is always needed by every person in every society and His message is pertinent to all. Have a great weekend, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The words may be "quaiter" but the truth is the same. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I want to google him. I have never heard of him. I'm assuming he was pivotal in the Great Awakening? It never ceases to amaze me how relevant the "quaint words" you find are, whether they were written in the 20th century or the 17th. The struggle is always the same, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janette - How exciting! A new *mission field* for you and God to work in! And yes, these words really are so timeless, aren't they?

    Ginger - I love how you said that! The more things change, the more God's Word, and God Himself, remain the same! He is the Alpha and the Omega, the same yesterday, today, and forever!

    Mary - A great insight. Yes, these words are timeless because Jesus reaches into the innermost parts of the human heart - and that is a heart that has desperately needed the Lord since the very beginning.

    Pamela - Thanks for the encouraging word! Quaint words still speak truth indeed!

    Debbie - You know what? I don't know anything about him either. I'm going to have to research that a little bit. Yes, the struggle is the same. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to sit down and have a conversation with Eve - I'm thinking we would both "get" each other just fine. Human hearts - all the same. And as Mary said, all in need of the saving grace of Jesus and the transforming work of His Holy Spirit.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)