Monday, September 27, 2010

SEASONS COME, AND SEASONS GO...

What’s your favorite season?

I love summer.

(OK – why am I mentioning summer at the end of September? Because we are currently in the middle of a HEAT WAVEgo figure!)

I love hot weather…Hot, HUMID weather I’m not so fond of – but hot weather, it’s good.

One reason I love summer is because I really don’t like shoes!

I wear sandals all the time – been known to do it in cold weather, been known to do it in rainy weather! WHY, you might ask? (You’re asking…I can hear you). It’s because my favorite shoes are actually BARE FEET!

I also love summer because I get to be outside a lot. And I really like sunshine. I’m afraid I just couldn’t live in a place where it rained or snowed a lot. I get like a grumpy old bear in that kind of weather – “Woe is me. Where’s my hibernation den?”

Summer reminds me of being a kid…when summer meant NO SCHOOL! No homework, no papers or reports, no tests, no deadlines…no rules! It was summertime, and it was MY time!

So for me, summer represents feelings of freedom, fun, imagination, and joy.

If you stop and think about which season you like, you’ll probably find a million reasons why it’s that time of year that means something to you. Sometimes we’re connected to a particular season because of memories – or because of the feelings that season evokes in us.

Our lives go through seasons, too.

Ecclesiastes 3 begins with this often-quoted verse:

“For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.”

We talk about life “seasons” that way. We experience “seasons” of bounty and blessing. We have “seasons” of sadness and suffering. Our moods, and our health, our finances, and our relationships – they change, they shift, they move through “seasons.”

What does God want us to learn during these different seasons?

The secret to peace with God is to discover, accept, and appreciate His perfect timing. We can only see through eyes that exist in bodies that are subject to space and time. We cannot see into the future or comprehend everything.

So we must TRUST God now.

Ecclesiastes 3:11: “…God had made everything beautiful for its own timepeople cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end.”

Ecclesiastes 11:5: “Just as you cannot understand the path of the wind…so you cannot understand the activity of God, who does all things.”

So, in the passing “seasons” of life, what remains constant?

God has a plan, a purpose for all people.

And what is that purpose?

It is that we should fear our All-Powerful God. We must respect and stand in awe of Him because of Who He Is. We ought to praise Him for His glory, bow down in adoration, and thank Him for His love.

Purpose in life starts with WHO we know – not WHAT we know.

We must look at life through His heavenly perspective. Of course we don’t have all the answers…but we have HIM!

Heavenly perspective is making Him “Number One” in your heart, and in your life. It’s trusting that God’s purposes are good, even when (especially when) things don’t make sense – even when they don’t line up with our natural human desires and feelings.

Heavenly perspective is trusting the All-Knowing Wisdom of God…

…and knowing that though “seasons” in life may come and go – the love of the Lord will stand FOREVER!!



BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

7 comments:

  1. Catching up this morning and glad that I started here!

    Excellent post, as usual. My SS class just finished an indepth study of this familiar passage. We had actually studied it once before, several years ago. We did it again because we have all been through some seasons since then. Like walking a familiar path, it was interesting to see the different treasures that we noticed because we were looking at it from a different seasonal perspective.

    My LEAST favorite season is summer! Unfortunately, at age 48, I seem to be walking around in one long personal and perpetual one.

    Just sayin'...

    By the way: E-stalk at will! my address is just wordsonwheel@live.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your affinity for barefeet, but not your love for summer! Perhaps that's how I landed in Georgia...where our "cold" season is still bare-foot-able. :)

    I have been so humbled recently by crossing paths with people who have been tested the likes of Job himself, and who *still* carry a smile and exude love that could be only possible from a Heavenly Father. And when they're questioned as to how they can still be so happy in the midst of trial, they always reply with "It's not me. It's God." Because we don't know the big picture. And honestly, I'm not sure I'm up to that challenge!

    I love that we cannot run from or hide from our ever-present God. Through good seasons and "bad'! Thanks so much for sharing your heart this morning, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. edit: wordsonwheels... with an s....

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is hot, isn't it?? totally agree with you, Sharon, our purpose is to praise God and to worship him and fear him (respect, revere, hold him in highest awe). I feel if we get that point to really revere him and know who he is and worship him for who he is, we get the purpose for our lives and things run so much more smoothly. Secret is to also remember to continue to fear him all the days of our lives. And you are right, his timing is always perfect!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon,

    Very nice post! I love the summer. That is my favorite season of the year. I love how you weaved in the season of summer with the seasons in our lives. I love the scripture passages you mention. They give me a different perspective on my life and what I'm waiting on the Lord for. Like you, I'm waiting for salvation for family members and other things that look seemingly impossible. Thanks for sharing.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings -

    It is abundantly comforting to know that every season has the assurance of GOD and His awesome provisions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie - Thanks for stopping by - I always love hearing from you. I like how you pointed out that re-studying that passage at a different time brought different treasures. That really spoke to me. I think the most difficult thing to do in "dry wilderness" seasons is to find any redeeming aspects to it. But as you said so well, there are treasures there, too. After all, the desert has its own beauty.
    (BTW - the perpetual "summer" of a women's life gets better. Although we then run out of excuses for our bad behavior!! Just sayin'... I'll be in email touch sometime this week - thanks!)

    Jennie - Welcome! I am so glad that you joined the journey. I have really enjoyed finding your blog, and look forward to reading what you have to say! I have also been humbled (and awed, really) by people who have had terrible pain in their lives, and yet they still have a faith that exudes the love of God. It's a real testimony to His grace and power. I don't think I'm up to the challenge either...I'm mostly a wimp! But I am greatly comforted by the fact that God NEVER leaves us, He NEVER forsakes us!

    Betty - Man, it is blistering hot!! What a very odd summer/fall we've had here in California!! I personally need to trust God's timing more than I do - it's a real battle for a "worry-wart" like me. I pray that He gives me faith and courage. He really is awesome!

    Judy - Thanks. I'm glad to have another "summer-lover" on board!! I am trying as I get older (hopefully a little wiser!) to realize that I just can't understand everything that goes on - and that I must trust God's love and His wisdom. We will keep upholding those "impossible" things in prayer - including the salvation of loved ones.

    Sandra - YES! I love how you added the thought that in each season God sends PROVISIONS! Yes, indeed, His love provides ALL we need!

    Andrea - I left a comment for you on yesterday's "update post" where your comment was listed!

    GOD BLESS EVERYONE!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)