Thursday, November 18, 2010

WHO'S AFRAID OF THE DARK?

True confession time –

I’m afraid of the dark.

Yup, if you looked up “scaredy-cat” in the dictionary, it would say –
“see Sharon.”

I’ve had this fear since I was a child. I was one of those “jump into bed from three feet out so someone doesn’t grab your legs” kind of girls.

I remember one time when this fear was severely challenged – about 5 years ago.

It was the first camping trip for my newlywed husband and me. I wanted to impress “The Hub” with my ability to “rough it.” I wanted his “Jeremiah Johnson” to think he had rightly married his match – “Pioneer Woman.”

Now, as I have mentioned before, I LIKE “roughing it.” And I mean, getting dirty and grimy – sleeping on the ground – no shower – no appliances – no makeup – no problem.

We were going to stay at a remote area. Only four “campsites” – with just a firepit and a bear box (to store the food) per site – just the bare minimum. And we were totally alone. No problem.

“The Hub” thought I was great at helping to set up the tent. He was amazed at my “roll with the punches” attitude. He noticed that I didn’t use the waterless soap five thousand times. He was proud of me.

Well, into every good camping story, nighttime must fall. It got dark, VERY dark that night. And, at some point, as the embers in the fire were fading out, it came time for that last “pit stop” of the evening. It was time for me to visit the “outhouse.”

About 1,000 feet away…

Did I mention that it was VERY dark?!

“The Hub” did his newlywed hero thing – “Sweetie, do you want me to go with you?”

And, wanting to make him SO proud of me, I answered, “No, I’ll be fine.”

Uh, right…

I took off, already nervous, and began the long trek to the outhouse.

Within 30 seconds, and maybe 100 feet away from the campfire, it was very cold – and VERY dark!

I was terrified.

OK, I’m thinking – “There’s a bear behind that tree, a mountain lion over there, and little mice everywhere just itching to crawl up my pants. And then, waiting for me at the outhouse is some guy in a mask.”

Oh…and my worst fear…there are all kinds of evil spirits lurking in the shadows.

However, the one saving grace was that I had brought along my friend – my flashlight Mr. Maglite. Now this isn’t one of those delicate little jobbers – no, this is one of those foot-long, heavy metallic, super bright, “just-like-the-cops-have” flashlights.

I held Mr. Maglite in front of me like a beacon in a lighthouse. I held him in front of me like a weapon. I held him in front of me for dear life…

Was I scared? YOU BET!

Did I make it back safely? OF COURSE!

Was I comforted by my trusty friend, Mr. Maglite? ABSOLUTELY!


I learned a great lesson that night.

I have another friend who comforts me in the darkness of this world – Jesus.

C.S. Lewis called this world “The Shadowlands.” It’s an accurate description.

Shadows of sin, shadows of sickness, shadows of suffering, shadows of death.

It’s dark out there.

And there are all kinds of evil spirits lurking in the shadows.

But I am never alone. I have a companion – Jesus. He is the Light of Life – the One who shines like a beacon. The One who illuminates every shadow. The One in whom there is NO darkness.


“Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night…” (Psalm 91:5)

“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.” (John 1:5)

“Put your trust in the light…” (John 12:36)

“We now have this light shining in our hearts…” (2 Corinthians 4:7)

“God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all.” (1 John 1:5)

“I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” (John 8:12)


I need not be terrified – Jesus is my friend.


BLOG = “Blessedly Leaning On God!”

15 comments:

  1. Great post, Sharon, very well said. God Bless - Nita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful words, Sharon. My trust is in the
    Light of the world. He turns all my darkness
    into Light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Camping is the worse for me. Dark and in the woods just scares me so much. Now we only do cabins and even that scares me a bit. The bears still try to come into them. No I do not do dark well if I am outside!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet the definition says also see...Debbie. (My dear sister is also TERRIFIED of the dark. Why am I not surprised that you two share this fear as well...?) I'm not a fan of the dark or camping but I'm a BIG fan of our greatest source of Light! Thanks for sharing this with us. Great writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughing.
    I'm laughing not only at the visual image that I had of you but also because before I read the comments, I thought what Denise was going to think when she read this.

    And then, I read her comment.

    Yep. That's what I figured she was thinking. Apparently, Sharon, we are kindred souls.

    However, I'm not quite so sure that I wouldn't have just suffered until morning trying not to wet the bed. You might be braver than I. Either that, or the need to impress a man trumps fear. (That IS a possibility since a cute boy onced got me to ride The Scream Machine at a theme park. But I digress...)

    All that yakking to say this: LOVED this and relate very much. Like Denise, I'm ever so grateful for that Light of the World.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you can read that rambling mess, you deserve a medal. And that was supposed to say ONCE not ONCED. Oy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen!! So glad Jesus is indeed the light of the world and the light in the midst of darkness! Cute camping story! You rock, Sharon! I would never have been there in the first place, let alone help pitch a tent, and walk MILES to the outhouse!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, I can be in the woods...in the dark...all alone. And I'm okay. But yet each night I wake up to all kinds of imagined noises, and shake with fear (hubby works 3rd shift). I know God will protect me, but I still shake. Maybe I should just sleep in the woods everynight, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon -

    You can be so funny in your story telling! Keeping it real, you are indeed.

    Thank you for the smiles and the truths expressed. Yes, indeed, we have an everlasting light...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nita - Thank you for your kind comment. May God, the Light, be with you today!

    Sandy - Trusting in the Light makes the darkness flee! Isn't that the best antidote to fear?!

    Debby - YAY! I'm not the only one! Scaredy-cats of the world unite! But, we don't have to fear the "bears" of the world - we've got GOD!

    Denise - You are so sweet! Thanks for the kind words. What is it with me and Deb? We are definitely two peas in a pod, or something like that! And I'm with you - a BIG fan of the Light!

    Debbie - Apparently we have some weirdly uncanny, but delightfully awesome connection. Impressing a man wins out - but only once (or is it onced?!) Love the roller coaster tidbit - you little scamp, you. We may share knocking knees, and trembling hands - but we also share that incredible Savior - the SONLIGHT! (BTW, pinning the medal on now - evidently I'm pretty good at rambling-mess reading...)

    Betty - Impressed with my outdoor skills, are you? I keep telling "The Hub" that he's pretty lucky to have me - (just in case he forgets!!) What would we do without Jesus? I can't even think of it - that would be FEAR indeed!

    Debby - How very funny! Maybe you SHOULD sleep outdoors! Do you have a Mr. Maglite?? Seriously, though (is it possible?!) I can understand being afraid in your house when you're alone. I guess it's like anything, though - we have to keep reminding ourselves that we're NEVER really alone, eh??

    Sandra - I have more fun remembering and relating these stories! And I'm so glad that you like them. It's good to smile... And truth can be gleaned in the simplest things!

    GOD BLESS! I appreciate you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Again another great lesson teacher Sharon. Keep to the light. I love C.S. Lewis and I love Shadowlands.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandie - Really?! You're a C.S. Lewis fan?? We have more to chat about! Keep to the light - sounds like a life motto!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good post, Sharon. Reminds me of a camping trip my husband and I took several years ago. We had a pop-up camper and were near Pagosa Springs Colorado. During the night, I had to make a visit to the ladies room (we were not in a remote area). I asked my husband if he wanted to go along with me, but he sleepily refused. I stepped outside the camper and was greeted by the distinctive odor of a skunk. I hurred back inside, waited a while, and realized I couldn't wait any longer. I thought, "well if the skunk gets me, I come back in and share the odor with John." Of course, it didn't and we slept the rest of the night warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Joan! I'm chuckling, though I know at the time this probably wasn't funny AT ALL! Did you have a Mr. Maglite along with you? Your last remark reminded me of how God is with us, even in spite of our fear! I love this verse:

    "In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, will keep me safe." (Psalm 4:8)

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sharon - I had a flashlight, but it wasn't Mr. Maglight. (That would have helped). After that episode, I made John promise to always accompany me on my nightly excursions.

    And so true, God was right there with me.

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)