Saturday, March 12, 2011

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!”

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)

"Wait! Wait! Let your waiting be on the Lord! He is worth waiting for. He never disappoints the waiting soul.

While waiting keep up your spirits...The promise which should cheer you...'He shall strengthen thine heart.' This goes at once to the place where you need help...The heart wants calming and cheering; and both of these will come if it be strengthened...

No one else can get at that secret urn of life, the heart, so as to pour strength into it. He alone who made it can make it strong...

O, be brave; for the Lord will impart his strength to you, and you shall be calm in tempest, and glad in sorrow."

(From "Daily Readings by C. H. Spurgeon, by Charles Haddon Spurgeon, c. 1834-1892)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking about this in context with Japan today - they are going to need a lot of faith aren't they? Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A long time ago, when I thought of waiting...I thought of it in the light of inactivity.

    But I think God wants us to wait with a hope that is active. A trust in Him that is so real it is almost tangible.

    Could waiting actually be regarded as a type of action?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great....just reading it seems to bring strength to my soul. Waiting...........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandie - Oh my yes! Have you been watching any of the television footage?? It's just so awful. May the people of Japan find a pathway to be "calm in tempest."

    Shay - You know, that was a great thought. Yes, I do think that waiting can be considered action. Because it involves a choice of our will and a determination of feeling. So, we actively DECIDE to trust God, and we PURSUE peace while doing it!

    Janette - Yay for soul-strengthening!! I'm also learning (a little bit) about how to wait for the Lord through various circumstances. The calm part - well, that's the part I'm waiting to learn!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)