Tuesday, December 7, 2010

THERE IS NO "FUN" IN DYSFUNCTION

Dysfunction.

It’s not a pretty sight.

For many years, I suffered from the “hoarding” disease. I wasn’t quite as bad as the people on the television show, but things were highly messy, very disorganized, and extremely cluttered.

It’s really kinda ironic – I have a mind full of steel filing cabinets.

Everything gets ordered just perfectly because there is a place for everything. Emotions go over here, after being analyzed and sorted. Thoughts here, problems there – divided up into solved ones and ones to be solved. Got more than one filing cabinet for worries. It might be overflowing a bit, but it’s organized. Yup, I know just where to put things in my mind – my interior life runs like a top.

My exterior environment?

For all those years in my 40’s?

Not so much.

I could make a bunch of excuses for how things got out of hand. Anxiety problems, a history of “pack rat” tendencies, feeling emotionally overwhelmed, needing to fight off boredom, a nagging sense of loneliness, depression – but in the end, those were all just excuses.

The real problem was trying to fill up a hole in my life.

An aching emptiness.

And the rather desperate attempts I made on my own just led to…dysfunction.

We all have something, don’t we? (DON’T WE?!) We all have something we’ve done or we do to try to stave off that nagging sense of loneliness or despair. Things we do to fill up the hole in our lives.

We all have areas where we are dysfunctional.

You know why?

Because we’re all broken…

We don’t work like we’re supposed to work. Our original design got messed up. The blueprints were perfect, the Architect was a Master – we just thought we knew how to make a better building.

Am I still a hoarder?

No – and I have to give some credit to “The Hub” – he’s a neatnik. And he rescued me from myself in many ways.

But even though he helped me clean up my house, even though he helped me put things in order, even though he loves me –

He couldn’t fix the basic problem – he couldn’t fill up the empty hole.

Because it was God-shaped.

We are made in God’s image.

Yes, we are. And because of that, nothing can fill us up like the God who created us. He is the ONLY One who can make us whole again.

He can remove dysfunction – and restore “His-function.”

He’s still got the original blueprint. He knows what we’re supposed to look like. He can make a better building…

It might not get finished in this life – but oh boy! What a glorious piece of handiwork we will be in eternity!

Are you tired of spiritual dysfunction?

Are you weary of trying to fill up that hole on your own?

Are you ready for some “His-function” in your life?


BLOG = “Blessedly Leaning On God!”

13 comments:

  1. I love how God puts people together to encourage us to grow and change those areas that need it. My husband has great faith and is extremely generous with finances, while I worry and hold tightly to what I have. God transforms, and he uses others to help that along. He is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am clinging to HIS-function, right now! It is easy to get distracted, but I am committed to keep my focus on HIM and HIS will!
    Blessings,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon -

    Thank you for this functional message.

    I love your statement, "He can remove dysfunction - and restore "His-function."

    Hasn't it been said, "You can't put a square peg in a round hole?"

    Nothing and no one else can fit the place that has "RESERVED FOR GOD" engraved on our hearts. When we tamper with that engraving, we get chastised - sometimes with "judgment" awakenings.

    Hebrews 11:10 - KJV
    For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

    Hebrews 11:16 - KJV
    But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome Word Sharon. I want to function according to the Master's design. So true words about their being a void in our lives that only God can fill. Thanks for sharing sweet sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thought-provoking word, Sharon. In
    HIS-function not dysfunction, that's how
    I want to live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right, Sharon; unless we fill ourselves up with God, we will always be looking for something else to fill up that God shaped hole and we will constantly be discontent and not happy about it unless we totally surrender our hearts and lives to the Lord! I liked how you described your metal filing cabinets, I have a few of my own that are overflowing; I think I need to get the shredder out and take care of some of those things.

    enjoy your day! I hear it will be getting warm over the next week, yea!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. His function, I like it. Hope you don't mind if I roll it around in my head for abit and then maybe even use it someday! I loved the realness and the life that pours from your words.

    Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip my toes.

    Splashin,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Sharon, what a great post. Thank you for being so transparent and sharing some of your dysfunction with us. You are so right...we are all dysfunctional in one way or the other...sin entered into our lives and "wham" we were undone. As someone that knows you and loves you, I can certainly attest to your dependence on the One who is the "filler" of our holes..who makes us whole!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are right - we are all dysfunctional in some way some times more than others. And I think a lot of it is from something being wrong inside. Fix the inside, the outside comes together.

    sandie♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glowin Girl - He is such a good God, and I am so thankful for the people He has put in my life to help me. I love that God doesn't just change us, He transforms us! That is a miracle sometimes!

    Andrea - It's just SO easy to get distracted! Especially at this very busy time of year. I'm with you - committing myself to HIM and HIS will. That is the only cure for all the OTHER things that demand our attention, often distracting us from what is truly MOST important!

    Sandra - I like how you put it - RESERVED FOR GOD, engraved on our hearts. That is just so true. And I'm so glad that it is! Because when we fill that "round hole" with the right "peg" - what a glorious feeling of love - complete and whole with the glory of the Lord!

    Wanda - Yes, I also want to operate according to the Lord's design for me. I don't make a very good building on my own!

    Sandy - "HIS-function" that's what it's all about. It is ONLY in His way, and doing His will, that we can find life abundant. And I want to live my life according to His purposes.

    More comments and responses - keep reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Betty - Oh dear! You've got metal filing cabinets, too?! AND they're overflowing?! I'm with you - let's get out the shredder (that made me laugh, Betty!!) Then, when the files are emptied, there's more room for the Lord and His Word - how about that?! (LOVE hot weather - YAY!)

    Sarah - WELCOME! So glad you stopped by, and I really appreciate your thoughtful comments. I am also delighted to meet you. (BTW, you have a very cute family!!) Feel free to dip your toes, wade a bit, splash around - you can even go swimming if you feel like it!!

    Tina - Thanks, buddy. Undone by sin - yes, we all were. And then, Someone came into our lives, with an eternal "fix-it" kit - and just made everything right again! Isn't He wonderful? Still doing my best to commit EVERYTHING to Him - and then LETTING IT GO. Tough, so very tough - as you well know - but what's our alternative? A building that falls down, or is another version of the Leaning Tower of Pisa!! No thanks :)

    Sandie - Oh well said!! Fix the inside, and the outside comes together! How true! There are so many people that spend a LOT of time on their outside. They mask the dysfunction in their lives, or in their hearts, with a pretty exterior. And it just doesn't work. Only the presence of God makes it ALL look good!!

    GOD BLESS, everyone. Happy "His-functioning!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe that I almost missed this one.
    I love it, and of course you described me pretty accurately.

    I love the part about "his function". That was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie - You almost missed another of my "true confessions!" Seriously, are you a "pack rat" too??

    I suppose it's the English major in me, but I just love my little "play on words!" My impossible - "HIM-possible." My dysfunction - "HIS-function." I can't wait to see what He'll give me next!

    Know you're busy, so thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate it - and appreciate YOU even more...

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)