Saturday, August 27, 2011

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!”

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

"All those minds shall be truly stayed, that are stayed on God. They shall be as Mount Zion, firm as it is; a mountain supported by providence, much more as a holy mountain supported by promise. They cannot be removed from confidence in God...

Committing themselves to God, they shall be safe from their enemies. Even mountains may molder and come to nothing, and rocks be removed, but God's covenant with his people cannot be broken, nor his care of them cease.

Their troubles shall last no longer than their strength will bear them up under them. The rod of the wicked may come...only it cannot reach their souls. And though it come upon their lot, it shall not rest thereon.

The Lord will make all work together for their good...

God considers the frame of his people, and will proportion their trials to their strength by the care of his providence, as well as their strength to their trials by the power of his grace."

(From "Daily Readings by Matthew Henry" by Matthew Henry, c. 1662-1714)

(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

6 comments:

  1. Amen! Built on the firm foundation of Jesus Christ - I will not be moved - come Irene and then some - I will not be moved!
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word commitment jumped out at me. It brings strength! We simply cannot lose when we commit ourselves to God.

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way he compares God's covenant with us to powerful and strong mountains so stable yet God is greater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessed assurance of His care!

    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kathy - Yes, I guess you know a thing or two about standing firm and strong in the storm, huh?! Only His providence, only His strength gives us the power to weather this thing called Hurricane Life.

    Pamela - Yes, indeed! You're so right. It's the heart committed to God, in total trust in His love and His good ways, that is able to rest in the repose of His peace.

    Mary - I like when I'm in nature, and I look at those sturdy, strong mountains that stand so firm - and have stood strong throughout the centuries. Yes, an apt picture for the faithfulness of God.

    Janis - Blessed assurance. He cares. Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!! Remember that great old hymn? It's always been one of my favorites. Indeed, those who are assured of their salvation in Christ are truly blessed forever!

    Sandie - How I need to remind myself of that. Such a profound thought, and so difficult to remember when my restless and overwhelmed heart feels insecure. Yet, though He slay me, I will trust in Him.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)