Sunday, November 27, 2011

BIBLE PICK 'EMS - Sticks and Stones

Sticks and stones
May break my bones,
But words will never hurt me.

Who ever came up with that one??

It's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Any of us know that words have the power to injure us deeply to hurt us where the wounds don't show.

And taunting is a powerful weapon.

I've had times in my life when other people hurt me by giving me unflattering nicknames, by making fun of me, by teasing and poking at my shortcomings.

I'm sure you have, too.

It isn't fun.

It hurts – a lot.

Today I am reminded of something else, though. We are told in God's Word that we do not battle against flesh and blood. That we have a very real, and very fierce, enemy.

Satan – the Accuser.

And he loves taunting the faithful. Nothing delights him more than persecuting God's own children.

He is cruel and conniving and clever and cold-hearted. His words have the power to destroy. He fashions weapons uniquely tailor-making them for each individual. Honed to evil perfection, he aims those weapons at our weakest spots. And oh, how it hurts when they find their target.

Sometimes I think I can hear him cackle…

It gets discouraging sometimes, doesn't it? Constantly being attacked by someone who hates you so much. His words feel like spiritual sticks and stones – and they break us.

You know what I think his worst words are?

"Where is your God?"

Sometimes the enemy has other people deliver those words, and sometimes he whispers them himself into our very souls.

Today's "Bible Pick 'Ems" is found in Psalms, and I think it is a rousing answer to that particular taunt:

"So many are saying, 'God will never rescue him!'
But you, O LORD, are a shield around me; you are my glory, the one who holds my head high.
I cried out to the LORD, and he answered me from his holy mountain.
I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety, for the LORD was watching over me.
I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies who surround me on every side.
Arise, O LORD!
Rescue me, my God!
Slap all my enemies in the face!
Shatter the teeth of the wicked!
Victory comes from you, O LORD.
May you bless your people." (Psalms 3:2-8)

Can I get a holy WOO HOO from my blogging audience?!

I want to break this passage down a bit.

First of all, sometimes the best answer to any taunt from the enemy is these words – But God…

In spite of all the accusations, all the attacks, all the posturing and taunting – there are the simple words – BUT GOD.

Tell me what you may, enemy of mine, BUT GOD has saved me. You may try to enslave me, BUT GOD has broken the power of sin and death in my life. You may try to make me feel guilty, BUT GOD has forgiven and redeemed me. You may try to tell me that I am worthless, BUT GOD loves me.

Second, God is a shield.

From the book of Ephesians, we are told that the shield of God is a powerful defensive weapon: "…hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil." (Ephesians 6:16)

The shield of GodFaith, the unswerving belief in God's Truth is impenetrable. It surrounds us with protection. Sticks and stones may break our bones, but faith will save our souls.

Third, God is our glory.

We are weak, He is strong. Paul tells us to boast only in what Jesus Christ has done for us. But oh, we can boast on THAT proudly, confidently, hopefully! It is our Savior's gift of salvation, and His promise of life everlasting, that enables us to hold our heads high. We can be proud because we reflect HIS glory.

Fourth, the Lord hears us.

He listens to our cries. He doesn't miss a thing. He hears the loud wails, the silent tears, the grief that's too deep to express. We are given this tremendous promise:

"You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle." (Psalms 56:8)

And I believe that one day all those tears will be poured out in Heaven – mixed with the blood of Christ – a final offering that will be swallowed up in the joy of everlasting lifenever to be wept again.

Next, God gives us peace.

He never slumbers, He never sleeps. He is watching over us all the time. He hovers over us like parents over the crib of a newborn baby. Ever watchful, ever vigilant, ever our jealous and protective Father.

We are not out of His sight…ever!

Not even when we are surrounded by enemies not even when we are accused or attacked, not even when we're the victims of persecution. Not even when it's the devil himself posturing and taunting. Rest assured, God sees.

So finally, because of all this, we can do some *trash talking* back to that old enemy of ours – (a sports term for "the art of telling another person off"):

The LORD will arise, my enemy.
My God will rescue me.
He will slap you in the face!
He will shatter your wicked teeth!
Victory comes from Him.
And He WILL bless His people.


Take that, you tired old devil.

God has spoken.

WOO HOO!


How can you claim these verses in your fight against the Accuser?


"When in doubt, search God out!"

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,

    Great uplifting post, I love that verse from Psalm 56 - your words after are very encouraging too.

    God Bless, Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon! WOOO HOOO! Awesome post!
    Yes, the battle rages, but I am so grateful that I have the ultimate warrior on my side, fighting for me!
    I can so claim these verses and more to be used against the evil one.
    Love you, so!
    Thank you for your great message that I needed to hear today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say it too. WOO HOO!!!! But it is so true. Words can hurt terribly. I don't know how that saying ever got started. It is so obviously false. Yes, it probably was the devil. After all, he is the father of lies.
    Thank you for sharing this thought provoking post.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so true, Sharon, about the impact words can have, both healing and also destroying. I know I'm guilty of doing some hurting words to others and that saddens me that I have hurt them. I think that's why Proverbs says a lot about controlling the tongue, in addition to Psalms and the third chapter of the book of James.

    All great verses for us to use to rebuke the enemy. We have to remember he is using everything he has in the short time he has because he knows what his final destiny is, but he wouldn't mind making our lives miserable. I am comforted by that scripture in 1 John that greater is the one that is in us than the one in the world; I try to remember that when under attack.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon! You are always ON TIME with THE WORD!

    So much has been happening here in the past two weeks - I am going to email you with a story - if I may - you just can't know how much the Lord has ministered to me through you in these past few months. I always check in with your posts with awe and trembling because I know God is going to pierce me with just the right timely Word. This post is no exception - and MUCH needed this afternoon, as I stepped out in faith this morning - and have struggled with accusations and doubts all afternoon.

    Check your e-mail later. I hope it won't be an imposition to share with you. I'll be writing a post about it in early January - but for now, I'd like your take on it.

    Standing behind my Shield and Buckler . . .
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so, here's the thing - I don't have your email address. You don't list it and for some reason I thought I had it because I thought we had exchanged emails in the past. Guess not.

    Anyway, I would like to share with you - but if you would rather not, that's fine, too. I'm sure you have your hands full with ministry demands and that is probably why you don't offer email as an alternative communication tool. Mine is misskathypwp@gmail.com if you would like my "story" - and a preview of something amazing that God is birthing in the new year involving me - and why I've had such a year of warfare!

    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooohoooo! (Is that Sharon Speak for AMEN?) I think it might be.

    I really loved this more than I can tell you. I think you are so right that the words "Where is your God?" are the meanest of all. As I'm sure you know, Satan has said that to me over and over and over and... lately. I love that you addressed this one, and you did it beautifully.

    I loved this part the best:


    He listens to our cries. He doesn't miss a thing. He hears the loud wails, the silent tears, the grief that's too deep to express. We are given this tremendous promise:

    "You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle." (Psalms 56:8)



    You know, I blogged about that verse months ago. Little did I know THEN how much I would need this devotional NOW.

    He did, though.
    Thanks for letting him speak through you.

    I'm going to try to catch up now before I go to bed. I've been away spending time with both daughters and eating too much food.

    I'm so thankful for elastic and spandex.
    Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  8. And think about this one - sometimes we are mean to ourselves! sandie

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)