Thursday, September 2, 2010

...AS YOURSELF

Yesterday we talked about “love your neighbor.”

Today I want to share some thoughts about the second part of the commandment: “…as yourself.”

Have you ever thought about this?

Do I really love myself??

It seems to me that there are two directions, two ends of the spectrum if you will, that one can go on this “loving yourself” idea.

One, you can love yourself too muchoverinflated ego.
Or, you can love yourself too little – deflated ego.

Isn’t it interesting how often Satan works in the extremes?

So, if I’m supposed to love my neighbor as myself – how am I supposed to love myself properly?

We all know that PRIDE is sin. It was at the root of Satan’s rebellion, and it was the reason for the The Fall.

It isn’t difficult to pick out the narcissist in a crowd. Self-focus, self-promotion, self-appeasement – all obnoxious, right? We do not want to be the person with a head too big to fit into a room!

Unfortunately, sometimes we swing too far in the other direction.

Haven’t you been around someone who constantly puts themselves down? Who NEVER has a good thing to say? The “woe is me” thing gets kinda tiring, doesn’t it? And it’s still “self”-focus, isn’t it?

Sometimes we can fall into a “martyr” mentality. We think of ourselves as nothing. Terrified of being “selfish,” we neglect to be “self-caring.” And that often leads to overtired, defeated, ineffective Christians.

So, what to do?

What’s the Bible have to say?

In Romans 12:3, we are urged to: “Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves…”

In 1 Corinthians 1:31, we are admonished: “If you want to boast, boast only about the LORD.”

OK – Lord, how do YOU look at me?

1. I was made in God’s image (Genesis 1:26-27)
2. I was planned (Psalm 139)
3. I am valuable to God (Matthew 10:29-30)
4. I was worth dying for (John 3:16)
5. I am God’s child (John 1:12)
6. I bring delight to God (Zephaniah 3:17)
7. I will live with God forever (John 14:2-3)


That’s good stuff!

So, learn to love yourself as God does – with an honest evaluation (I am a saved sinner), and a humble heart (I am nothing apart from Him).

The key to an honest and accurate self-evaluation is knowing the basis of our self-worthour identity in Christ.”
(From the Life Application Study Bible, NLT, c. Tyndale Publishers, 2004)

Don’t miss your true value in God’s eyes!

Do you love yourself?



BLOG = “Blessedly Leaning On God!”

4 comments:

  1. I copied this one to my Bible Study favorites folder so I can use it in my SS in the right lesson. Excellent thoughts and verses to support them!

    When I was in college, I wouldn't go to watch an intramural game with a friend because my hair was dirty. She told me that I was vain. I argued/debated with her that I couldn't be VAIN because I felt that I looked "bad" and not "good".

    She responded if I thought that everyone on that intramural field was going to look at me and be interested in whether I was having a good hair day or not, I was... vain. It ticked me off that day because I was young (and vain). I have recounted that experience countless times since then because she was right.

    Sorry to ramble, but your post made me think about that today.

    Another great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon,

    I like that you provide keys to loving myself as God does. This way I don't find myself wandering in error.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the verses about how God sees me. I have to say, I do struggle with loving myself.....(but since I'm a work in progress, I'll think about this and see how I can change in my attitude....)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, Debbie - you bring back memories. I can identify with your "hair" story. There were days when I absolutely thought I would DIE if I went out the door - because my hair was frizzy, or my face had ONE breakout, or a thousand other self-conscious things. However, for me, high school was the worst. I was a total geek, had curly (frizzy) hair (NOT cool in 1970-1972), and wore metal braces (for which my uncle nicknamed me, "Railroad Mouth"). Needless to say, I fell more into the "deflated ego category." It's taken me a while to understand how necessary it is to love myself according to God's standards. (Actually, I'm still working on it...)

    MTJ - I continue to love my Bible more and more, for so many reasons - not the least of which is to prevent myself from "wandering in error" (that was such a great way of saying it - thank you). God's Word must always be our measuring stick, especially when we look at ourselves.

    Betty - Glad you liked the verses. It's interesting, I didn't really have them "all picked out" - I felt God gave them to me - and I think He did that because I needed to hear them. I still struggle with loving myself...a lot. So it's very helpful to take God "AT HIS WORD" - HE LOVES ME, this I know, for the Bible tells me so... :)

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)