Saturday, September 11, 2010

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!”

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)


(The following is based on a devotion for Matthew 16:21-28):

"No man, [Jesus] says, can attain the high, enduring life of the age to come without being ready, if need be, to sacrifice his present physical life. The essence of life in the age to come is friendship. The essence of friendship is the readiness to take account of another's interests as of one's own - to deny one's self, that is, to deny to one's self the right to the supreme place in thought and plan. To do this in the situation which Jesus and His disciples confronted might result in physical death.

"Lord, it belongs not to my care
Whether I die or live;
To love and serve Thee is my share,
And this Thy grace must give.

Christ leads me through no darker rooms
Than He went through before;
He that unto God's kingdom comes,
Must enter by this door.

My knowledge of that life is small;
The eye of faith is dim;
But it's enough that Christ knows all,
And I shall be with Him."

-- Richard Baxter

(From "Christ in Everyday Life" by Edward Increase Bosworth, c. 1910)


P.S. Let's all remember those brave men and women who gave up their lives on this day in 2001. And let's offer up many prayers for their families and loved ones.


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon,

    The tragic deaths of those who died need not be a senseless loss.

    Our country needs revival. A revival of heart, soul, mind, body and spirit. The demonic forces of anger, bickering, feuding, hatred, greed, resentment, and unforgiveness hover over American like a dark ominous cloud foreshadowing a calamitous storm.

    I would ask God to call upon our spiritual leaders to stand up and lead our nation in the greatest period of revival in American history.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello MTJ - Oh, my friend! Does this country EVER need a revival!! I talk often with my sons, who even in their 20's see a declining of the moral structure of our country, and it scares them - it even makes them mad. I sense a storm coming, too. Oh, how we need spiritual LEADERS to stand and LEAD. And we must also PERSONALLY draw a "line in the sand" - where we stand up for MORALITY, where we are NOT AFRAID to stand as CHRISTIANS - where we stand AGAINST all the demonic forces trying to steal, to kill, and destroy.

    Thank you for your thought-FULL comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to what you both just said in your comments!
    I believe with all of my heart that our national revivial needs to begin IN the churches before it can extend outward in evangelism and change. I literally cry in my passion about this.

    I think it's so "big" to me because I live in a small town in the Bible Belt. The churches here are full of lukewarm water...

    I liked the devotional and the poem! I was away from computerland all weekend to enjoy a visit home from my daughters. It was bliss, I tell you... bliss.

    Back with the keyboard kids now and trying to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Debbie. The revival has to start IN the church. What do you think accounts for the "lukewarm" water of churches in your area? Sometimes I think the opposite happens out here in California - where the "Good News" gets watered down in churches that are all about the "glitz and glamour." What we need is a TRUE picture of who Jesus is - He revolutionized His world - He can do it again...beginning in the hearts of His followers.

    Oh, I'm so glad you had a wonderful weekend with the girls!! Absolute bliss, indeed!

    I love it - "The Keyboard Kids" - we ARE a band of "typing fools" aren't we?!?

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)