Saturday, June 30, 2012

SATURDAY STROLL - Sweet Surrender


Welcome to "SATURDAY STROLL!"

In these posts I will be interacting with Scripture – making it a conversational walk of faith.

Sometimes we'll be talking with Jesus, sometimes God will be talking with us.

There might even be *guest appearances* by some of our beloved characters from the Bible!

So put on your walking shoes – you know we can all use the exercise!



SWEET SURRENDER

(My paraphrase from Jeremiah 38:17-20)


This is what the LORD God of Heaven's Armies says to you, Sharon:

"If you surrender...you and your family will live a life of abundant adventure."

I answer:

"But I am afraid to surrender.  Who knows what the enemy will do to me!"

God answers back:

"You won't be handed over to him if you choose to obey Me.  Your life will be spared, and all will go well for you."

These verses were given to me on the last day in my old house - a place where I have lived for 28 years.  I found a tremendous parallel to my situation in the dialogue between King Zedekiah and the prophet Jeremiah.

King Zedekiah found himself threatened by the Babylonians, and he sought the advice of Jeremiah.

Jeremiah told him to surrender to the Babylonians...



I found that this message was perfect for me - on the brink of moving, I am so afraid to surrender the security and familiarity of my life here.  I am so afraid of moving to another place.  

How I echoed the king's sentiments - "But I am afraid to surrender."

Yes.

However, God is absolute in His answer to me.  

Obey and all will be well.

I take comfort and courage in this.

And thus I obey.


What is God asking you to surrender at this point in your life?


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

7 comments:

  1. You will do fine - it is hard - but you will do it. I believe in you. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been praying about your move and asking God to make the transition easy. Don't you love it when God uses His words, written so long ago, to speak to us? Such a beautiful promise and yes, it's ours to obey. How can we not with a promise of abundant adventure?

    Still praying,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have faith in you my sweet friend, you will do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon,

    Thinking of you and wishing you God Speed. Insecurity and Surrender are ongoing battles for me too, but I am remembering we/I fight from victory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Conversely, if one looks at the end of the story because Zedekiah didn't surrender and obey what God told him to do........(it turns out nasty, doesn't it?)

    it is hard to surrender our will indeed, but his will is so much more better but I feel for you Sharon, I really do. Change and adjustment and leaving familiarity is hard. I'm struggling at times a year and a half later, but just continue to trust in God and know he is leading you where he wants you!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obey and all will be well.
    I love that. I love the part about being afraid of what the enemy will do. I don't have to tell you how much I relate to that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it's been a while since I've been here my friend. And I was looking for your button, then stumbled across this post. So appropriate for where I am and where I have been for 8 months. God is definitely working that surrender in me, piece by piece. It's like He has to pry my fingers off of what I am clinging to , one finger at a time. I can't just let go completely.
    Having lived in California all of my life and having to move to the Arizona desert was the last thing I wanted to do 18 years ago. I took my usual position of fighting it until the earth shook the ground and I said, "OK, Lord. I'll go to Arizona."
    I physically went but parts of my heart were still in California. I think they still are. So, sometimes we follow the Lord physically to do what He asks of us but our heart isn't quite there. How much have I missed out on by having my heart in two places? He asks us to give wholeheartedly! The Lord has incredible patience with me! I'm still learning or He's still gently prying back each finger in different areas of my life.
    Hope all is well with you, my friend. I miss you.
    Janis

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)