Thursday, July 8, 2010

PEACE FOR THE JOURNEY

Monday I went to a barbecue given by one of my friends. It was the first time that I had met any of her family. They were wonderful. They treated me as if they’d known me all of their lives – they treated me like…well, like family! I felt the same way.

My friend comes from a large family. I enjoyed my time visiting with her sister, and brothers, and all the others. And yes, OK, the food was delicious!! I ate enough for a small battalion – a small battalion of giants, maybe! But the highlight of my evening was spending time talking with my friend’s mother. What a precious woman of God, what a delightfully happy soul.

She and I talked about many things – and the name of Jesus wove through our conversation like a thread pulling all our thoughts together. She had a phrase that she kept repeating – it was like her little faith motto. And I just loved it

“You know, Sharon, God’s gonna get you where He wants you to be!”

When I got home that night, I couldn’t get that out of my mind. Sometimes I fret about my future (read…most of the time). I have so many expectations, hopes, dreams, and yes, fears about what’s going to happen. I can get really worked up about it all. I feel impatient sometimes – sometimes excited, sometimes anxious. I feel everything but peace it seems. Like it’s “all up to me!” Like I’m a human “Garmin” – I am in control of the direction of my life. Turn here, turn there, speed up, slow down…go, stop…merge, pass, and whatever you do, DON’T CRASH!!

How silly!

I’m not really in control of my life at all. And truth be told, I don’t really want to be. I liked it better when I was a little girl. My parents took responsibility for me. They made my decisions. They fed me and clothed me. They took care of my needs. They loved me freely, and all I had to do was love them back – because I trusted them.

I want to be like that with God.
Total trust, total peace – totally free to just love Him back.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good…to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)


OK, Lord. After all, You’re gonna get me where You want me to be!


BLOG = “Blessedly Leaning On God!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)