Friday, August 2, 2013

"FAN THE FLAME" FRIDAY - Content


Welcome to "Fan the Flame" Friday.

This is a weekly post that will be "short and sweet" (kinda like me...)

Just a word and a question (or few)…just a little something to
"fan the flame" of your creativity!

And, to further fan those faith-filled flames (try saying that 10 times in a row!) – I'm adding my favorite devotional from the week!


Today's word: content

What does the word content mean to you?

Why do you think it's so hard to be content in this world?

Do you think you are a content person?  Why or why not?

How might we learn to be more content with people, possessions, finances, circumstances, abilities - (fill in the blank)?


"Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:10, NASB)

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength." 
(Philippians 4:11-13, NIV)


Let me know what you think!!        


DEVOTIONAL OF THE WEEK:

"How I desire a simpler life!  Material things so quickly ensnare me...I need to pursue simplicity...Help me to develop the right attitudes.  May I develop thankfulness...[finding] delight in everything.  May I trust that my life and everything about it is ultimately under your care, not my own...[Free me] from anxiety and worry...Teach me to hold things loosely...[Help me] live a life of simplicity, focused on you."


*Teach me the secret of contentment - to want what I have.


"This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you…For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (2 Timothy 1:6-7)


(Devotional from: "365 Pocket Prayers for Women" by Ronald A. Beers, c. 2011, Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.)

(Having some downloading *glitches* - if you have trouble leaving a comment, just push the Stop Loading button in the address bar, and then try the comment again.  Hopefully this will resolve soon.  Machines...grrr!)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

9 comments:

  1. I just lost my post and have to start over! I'm ticked. It was long. Maybe God just didn't want me to share my rambling heart on this.


    I will just say that to me, contentment equals satisfaction. It's being satisfied with what you have in all areas. For me, my sin problem isn't looking inward at my own blessings, possessions, abilities, etc. It's the sin of comparison, which we all know is just an identical twin to envy. When I take my eyes off the place where they are supposed to be focused and start looking toward others, I fall to that sin in a big way.

    The solution simply can not be to live in a cocoon so I would love to hear how others have been taught to be truly satisfied no matter what is going on around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Content...I never understood it before. I was always restless...always felt a need to keep moving but not now. Now I am happiest surrounded by family and 'content' just being.

    Wishing you a beautiful weekend Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Content to me, is being truly happy right where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry if you're having problems leaving a comment - Glitches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Debbie...I am usually a contented person but there are times when I find I'm comparing myself and my surroundings to others...my house isn't as nice as theirs, I am not the hostess that they are, etc., etc. God blesses us in different ways and gives gifts as He sees fit. It usually doesn't take me too long to realize how blessed I actually am. I'm grateful to the Holy Spirit for continually bringing me back to what's true :)

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sharon,

    Think I need to pray to be more contented. Thanks for your visits and words. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  7. I struggle with being content a great deal of the time. I think I am most content when my family is home and gathered in fellowship. I am working on this with a gratitude journal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know Sharon - this reminds me of one of my favorite Bible verses - I have always wanted to be content - but I have to tell you that is it not the contentment God gives you - after lots and lots of work and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What does the word content mean to you?

    It means to be satisfied. To enjoy what you have and what you are with no striving or coveting for something more.

    Why do you think it's so hard to be content in this world?

    Because the message of this world is "MORE!" We are taught by our culture (with a lot of help from a certain enemy of ours!) that we should strive for more success, more money, more fame, more power. This world's values are highly skewed.

    Do you think you are a content person? Why or why not?

    No, but I'm sure working on it. I am often not content with who I am. And I have to fight against an urge to accumulate more *stuff*. I really like shopping for collectibles and antiques...oh, and books.

    How might we learn to be more content with people, possessions, finances, circumstances, abilities - (fill in the blank)?

    We really need to pray for and adopt a godly perspective. We need to let go of the things of this world, realizing that they are temporary. We must focus on what *truly counts* - laying up treasures in heaven. Remember our inheritance!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)