Friday, August 30, 2013

"FAN THE FLAME" FRIDAY - Longing


Welcome to "Fan the Flame" Friday.

This is a weekly post that will be "short and sweet" (kinda like me...)

Just a word and a question (or few)…just a little something to
"fan the flame" of your creativity!

And, to further fan those faith-filled flames (try saying that 10 times in a row!) – I'm adding my favorite devotional from the week!


Today's word: longing

What are you longing for?

Why is it impossible for the things of this world to fulfill that sense of longing?

In what ways does God answer the deepest longing of our hearts?


Let me know what you think!!



"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life." (Proverbs 13:12, NIV)

"My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times." 
(Psalm 119:20, NIV)

"My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word." (Psalm 119:81, NIV)

"At night my soul longs for You, Indeed, my spirit within me seeks You diligently..." (Isaiah 26:9, NASB)

"As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God." 
(Psalm 42:1, NLT)



DEVOTIONAL OF THE WEEK:

A Prayer About EMPTINESS
When my soul is dry and empty

Heavenly Father,

     My heart feels empty.  I feel a loss of motivation, meaning, and purpose, and there seems no reason to go on...It's always some sort of loss that empties one's emotional tank.  My reserves are used up...and I have nothing left to give...Fill me with your love, truth, and goodness...You are the Living Water that can refresh me eternally.  I am waiting on you, Lord, to restore meaning, purpose, and satisfaction in my life.


*I am filled with longing for You, Lord - please fill me.


John 7:37-38 (NASB):  Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink.  He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'"


"This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you…For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (2 Timothy 1:6-7)


(Devotional from: "365 Pocket Prayers for Women" by Ronald A. Beers, c. 2011, Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

9 comments:

  1. Sharon some days this heart of my really longs for companionship and lately it's rest that I find myself longing. While humans can help fill some of our needs they will always fall short and that's why God is the ultimate one that satisfies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think God satisfies our longing by changing our hearts. When he says to delight ourselves in Him and He will give us the desires of our hearts, I think He knows a beautiful truth. When we delight ourselves in the LORD, He himself becomes the desire of our hearts.


    My head knows that and my heart believes it too. I wish I could pretend that I didn't still struggle with an emptiness from unfulfilled longing, but I do. I just keep praying for more of that heart changing stuff and take it day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess my greatest longing would be to become more compassionate to always...without hesitation... put the needs of others before my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Sharon...this is sooo perfect for me b/c I've been feeling empty. Funny how feeling empty pulls me closer to Him. He's the One that fills that 'longing' even when I don't know what that longing is. He's the one that gives purpose to life...the spark that ignites new life...and new hope. Hugs Sharon....Your heart is incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been longing for rhubarb so I could make a pie. Couldn't find it all summer in AZ, not even the frozen bag. This week I saw a few stalks in the Produce Dept. so I bought them and some strawberries and whipped up a pie. One piece was all I needed and the rest is in the freezer. I wonder if sometimes the Lord looks down at me and says, "I long for her to sit with me awhile and be my friend." Because when I bask in His company, it doesn't take that long and I'm filled up with joy. He knows what I need more than I do and He's ever faithful to fill me up in no time at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Longing for more time with my Saviour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think as long as we follow God's path - our longings will be handled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That verse about longing fulfilled being a tree of life is one of my all time favorites. Blessings to you - Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon! I am longing for his peace in all circumstances. That no matter what happens, I can get through it with him. I know he likes a prayer like that...I just have to be strong enough to take that grace and run with it!

    Happy Weekend, Sharon :)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)