Monday, November 1, 2010

BOO! FEAR NOT...

Yes, I know, Halloween was yesterday…

A day late, a dollar short – what can I say?!

Many (many, many, many…) years ago, when I was a teenager, I took my little sister and her friend out trick-or-treating.

Well, we didn’t get far before we ran into a group of boys, teenage boys (marauding rabble-rousers) – the kind that are out to cause trouble in the neighborhood. We were scared. I told the girls (and myself) “Don’t make eye contact, don’t say anything, and just walk quickly past them.”

Uh huh – great plan.

At first, the boys just taunted us as they approached. But then they reached into their bags for something. I didn’t know what to expect! Just as we neared them, cans of shaving cream magically appeared.

We were assaulted in a full-on blitz attack!

After the boys passed us by, and just when we thought the worst was over, they began to pelt us with water balloons. That’s when we started to run! All the way home…

We were a mess…

Crying, wet, soapy messes! And the worst part – we had only gone to about four houses before meeting the “Wild Bunch.” We poured out our "sob stories" to my mom.

Then my dad appeared – my dad, all 6’3” tall of him, all 220 pounds of him…

(Side note: Not sure how I ended up at 5’4” and about half that weight – took after mom’s side, I guess – the pygmies…)

You know what my dad said? Get cleaned up, we’re going out again.
So we did just that.

It didn’t take long before we saw those boys off in the distance. We turned to my dad, scared, not quite knowing what to do. He told us to keep walking and not to worry.

The boys got closer…

At some point they realized we were the same girls they had picked on before. Oooo…they thought – second helpings. I turned around – I couldn’t see my dad. Where was he???

They started reaching into their bags…

Then my dad appeared out of the shadows. I’ve never seen faces change like that!!

“Good evening, sir.”

“Good evening, boys.”

“Don’t worry, we’re not going to do anything.”

And my dad simply said, “No, you’re not.”

I will NEVER forget the feeling I had in that moment.

My dad was a HERO!

He protected us, and he shut those boys’ mouths! We felt INVINCIBLE in the presence of my dad.

This is such a great parallel to the way God looks out for us.

He walks along with us during every step of our journey. However, sometimes He might linger in the shadows, and sometimes we might doubt that He’s really there. But the truth of the matter is that He is ALWAYS there, always close by.

He tells us to just keep walking, and don’t worry. He watches over us. He never takes His eye off of us. He protects us.

Our Heavenly Father is a HERO!

We can walk with a spring in our steps, and joy in our hearts. For God has shut the mouth of our “enemy,” and disarmed him of his weapons. We need not fear…

Yes, my friends, we can feel INVINCIBLE in the presence of our Almighty God!


“…I am convinced that NOTHING can EVER separate us from God’s love…the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord…If God is for us, who can EVER be against us?” (From Romans 8)


BLOG = “Blessedly Leaning On God!”

12 comments:

  1. That is so cool! :D Did that really happen?

    I love your blog and I love this post! :)

    Katie ♥

    Please feel free to stop by my blog any time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, this is a word I needed to read tonight! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love a word in season.

    God bless you Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon -

    Here we go again...!

    This morning before I got online I read Daniel 6 and the Lord "highlighted" to me this verse, among others, Daniel 6:22, "My God hath sent his angel, and hath shut the lions' mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before him innocency was found in me; and also before thee, O King, have I done no hurt."

    Then I come here, Sharon, and read your post where you said, "For God has shut the mouth of our "enemy"..." Wow!

    Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this piece but the bonus was the "on one accord" with what you wrote and what I read in Daniel 6 this a.m.

    When you wrote about your father's presence on your second trip out after the Halloween episode, I could feel your love for him as I read the account. I felt warm as I read how his presence so affected you.

    And then you proceeded to express about our heavenly Father...bravo on this excellent piece that gives much glory to GOD. He is in it all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Sharon! I needed these words today! I was reading Psalm 121 today where it says God never slumbers nor sleeps and he will keep you out of harms way (very loosely paraphrased). But he definitely is walking alongside of us every day!

    I would have loved to see the look of those boys' faces when they saw your dad!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I was totally cheering for your dad before he even stepped out of the shadows. Do you know why? Because I KNEW he was there.

    That's is the walkabout attitude I want to have about my Heavenly Father.

    Excellent post.

    And I had a similar experience. Mine was on a bicycle and on a regular old afternoon, but I have never forgotten it. Reading this made me miss my dad a whole lot...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen -- the ladies before me have stated it so well. Thanks for bringing back memories of earlier days -- and the protection of both our fathers, and our Father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Sharon:
    I was going to comment: "What a seasonal post," but God's protection is always in season! You have a neat father!

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved that story, Sharon. Suddenly I was a little girl again without a care and knowing my Daddy was right there! What a great feeling. Now, I'll rest in my Abba, Daddy's arms and spill out my cares.

    Thank you for the great post and great analogy.

    At first, I actually thought you were telling a present day story about some children you had taken out trick-or-treating, and all of you got pelted! You wove a great story and carried me right along.

    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie - WELCOME! I'm so glad you stopped by! Yes, this really happened. Even though it was many years ago, it really sticks in my memory because it was such an awesome feeling to know that I was protected!! Thanks for your kind comments - I went to your blog, loved it, and will be following it!!

    Amanda - I love how God works. How He uses His Word through others to speak right to us. I'm happy to have sent you an encouraging word from Him - He's always right on time!

    Sandra - I just LOVE how God works. How He speaks to His children, sometimes at the SAME time, on the SAME subject!! What a blessing! He has indeed "shut the mouth" of our enemy - I need to remember this, and stop listening to nonsense!

    Betty - So glad to have given you a word of encouragement today. I love those verses, too. He never sleeps, He never tires - He is ALWAYS there! (The eyes of those boys?? Think of that old cliche - like a deer in headlights!!)

    Debbie - I loved that phrase: "walkabout attitude." Very apt, very cute. Glad you enjoyed this post. It's a good memory of mine. Sorry about your bike incident...or did it have a good ending like mine?

    Grammy Blick - I'm so glad you stopped by today. Yes, our dads are special. And our Heavenly Father?? He is priceless, an Almighty Protector - the One who makes us invincible.

    Mary - I still have my dad. It's hard to see him growing frail, but I always remember how much he took care of me - and how he protected me. God's protection does indeed span the seasons. He is with us, year after year...

    Janis - Thanks for your kind comments. You are so right - to feel like a little girl, protected from all harm, in the strong and tender arms of a Heavenly Father - PRICELESS!

    Don't mess with me - I'm a Daughter of the King - and He will not let me be defeated!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! And what a big, powerful, wonderfully protective Daddy we have! He's there, even when he's not in plain view, ready to step in at just the right moment to protect us from harm.

    Thanks Sharon =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon - I just love the way you tell a story - a good story - and bring it back to God. This is a talent that you have - you should be a minister - seriously. I love this story - I love how you tell it and how you describe it.

    I love the way your dad came out of the blue like that and stood up for you. And that you felt safe. On top of the world. Invincible.

    Whew.
    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paula - We do have a GREAT Daddy! It just makes me want to shout, "Back off, enemy, here comes MY FATHER!!" His timing is perfect. He's there - all the time!

    Sandie - You are just too kind, you know?! It's funny how some things just stick with you. This memory is one of them. NO ONE messed with my dad. And I just feel the same way about my heavenly Father. He's right behind me, He stands up for me, He makes me feel safe - on top of the world. He makes me feel INVINCIBLE! So glad you enjoyed this one.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)