Saturday, November 20, 2010

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!”

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)

"In order that we may be successful in our fishing [for men], let us ask Christ to give us attractive bait - His ways, His manner of doing, His tact, His patience, His forgiveness, His forbearance, His generosity, His strength.

No matter the cost, no matter the weariness, no matter the discouraging moments, no matter what comes our way, provided we gather in souls for Christ.

It is the good we have done on earth that we shall find in Heaven - nothing more; and this good is done only through our individual goodness - our union with God - not through any notice or consideration that may be shown us.

Let us then strive to be holy."

(From "Spiritual Pastels" by J.S.E. c. 1918)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon -

    Thank you for this - Yes, indeed -

    Holy, Holy, Holy - Lord GOD Almighty. We are mandated to be holy as He is holy.

    Lord, please help us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Attractive bait" - who talks like this anymore? How very fascinating, my precious friend.

    Love ya,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking the word that hit me was STRIVE - I feel like I'm always striving - not sure if I ever get anywhere. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra - Yes, the HOLY God Almighty! May we look more and more like Him, in our ways and our words. And may we always "fish for men" - and be faithful to spread the Good News to a desperate world.

    Mary - Isn't it fun?! No one talks like this anymore - and that's why I love these quaint words. And yet, they speak a timeless truth. God remains unchanged.

    Sandie - Some striving is NOT such a good thing. Especially when we strive for something WE want, and do not wait on the Lord. But this kind of striving makes me think of reaching for a goal - kind of like how runners stretch themselves out, leaning forward, at the end of a race - pressing toward the tape at the finish line. I'm thinking the destination isn't the key thing here. I'm thinking that God cares more about the striving - more about the DESIRE to be holy. He'll provide the power and the strength to achieve it!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon,

    "...our union with God - not through any notice or consideration that may be shown us. Let us then strive to be holy."

    This is a wonderful encouragement that because of our union with God we strive to be holy.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. MTJ - Yes. Without God in our lives, I'm afraid we wouldn't care too much about being holy. At the very least, we wouldn't strive for it. However, it is that very union with God that ENABLES us to seek holiness - it is His strength that makes us persevere. Thanks, as always, for your comment!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)