Today is my oldest son’s birthday.
He’s turning 28.
Which is quite a feat when you consider the fact that I am only 29…
He’s a great guy. Both of my sons are. (I guess it just goes to show you that even feral mothers are able to raise decent human beings…)
And so, in honor of both of my sons, and my joy at their presence in my life, I wanted to have some fun today.
So, I’ve got a quiz for you.
Here’s a list of some of my favorite "MOM memories" – try to guess
which son each question applies to – youngest or oldest. (IF you want to, you can leave your answers in the comments section, put #1 for my oldest, or #2 for my youngest – I’ll respond back with the answers. Or, you can just read along – but c’mon, you know you really want to play…)
1) This SON recently bought a kayak – for OCEAN kayaking, mind you.
2) This SON’S favorite "cuddly" thing was one of those cosmetic sponges.
3) This SON took a 14,000 mile road trip all around the U.S. with his college roommate – hitting ALL 48 contiguous states – in a month.
4) This SON is nick-named "The Internet Ferret" because he can find ANYTHING on ANY subject on his computer.
5) This SON still drives the same car he had in high school - he calls it
"The White Zombie."
6) This SON used to "sculpt" his food at Sizzler’s restaurant – using mashed potatoes as a base.
7) This SON, after crawling for months, suddenly stood up one day and starting walking – no, not ATTEMPT to walk – just WALK, like he’d been doing it all his life.
8) This SON hates condiments – of all kinds – but especially mayonnaise (Sidenote: Other son loves to squirt entire ketchup packets into his mouth just to BOTHER this son.)
9) This SON is a sports FANATIC, and has played soccer, basketball, roller and ice hockey!
10) This SON once played the clarinet – because he thought the "mandatory" violin requirement in school was just too boring.
11) This SON used to collect tigers – of every shape and size.
12) This SON used to get up at 3:00 or 4:00 AM in high school to do his homework so he could "have the night off for what I WANT to do!"
13) This SON was standing stark naked in the front yard when I came home from the market one day, because after all, MOM, "Bugs Bunny doesn’t wear clothes…" (Sidenote: This was quickly followed up by, "Where’s your father???")
14) This SON used to have a "bowl-cut" (thoughtfully provided by Mom) and wore Hawaiian shirts – and was nicknamed "Thomas Magnum" for a while. He also did a mean rendition of "You Belong to the City" ala Miami Vice.
OK, here’s a bonus question for extra credit:
Which mom is SO proud of her sons she could just pop, and loves them EVEN MORE today than when they were born?
If you’ve got children, ask God today to take care of them. Ask God to guide them and direct them on His pathways. Pray for their wisdom in these crazy times.
Tell them today how much they mean to you – tell them you love them.
And if you don’t have children of your own – tell a kid in your family (maybe a niece or nephew), or in your classroom, or at the market, or anywhere – just tell a kid that you notice them, and that God loves them.
They need to know that – it’s a tough world out there…
BLOG = “Blessedly Leaning On God!”