Tuesday, January 11, 2011

GONE FISHING - FOR REAL

Slap…slap…slap.

The man listened to the sound of the waves gently lapping against the side of the boat. The sun was shining above in a crystal clear blue sky. He had a good feeling about today. He felt a stirring in his spirit that he couldn’t quite explain.

Of course, just the other day, he and Andrew had met this Jesus fellow. Andrew had said that He was the Messiah. Simon had to admit, Andrew could be right…just this once. Jesus had very compelling eyes. His voice spoke with authority. He had the aura of truth about Him.

And He had told him that his name would be Peter. That was a little puzzling.

The rock?!

OK, I’ve got a strong personality, thought Simon. But I’m not really known for being rock-solid. Why would Jesus say that?

At any rate, Simon was interested in hearing more of what Jesus had to say. But that was for another day. Today they had work to do –

"C’mon, Andrew. Help me throw this net out."

Just as they were throwing the net into the water, a figure appeared on shore. The sun was at the back of the person, so all Simon saw was a silhouette.

"Hello," called out the man on shore.

Simon looked up.

Andrew exclaimed, "It’s Him, Simon. It’s the Christ."

Simon thought to himself, "What does He want?"

"Come, follow Me, and I will show you how to fish for people!"

And then it happened.

The stirring in Simon’s spirit exploded, washing over him in a rush of devotion, of unmitigated love, of excitement and anticipation…

He turned to his brother – and with eyes gleaming, he said, "Let’s go!"

And in that moment, Simon became Peter – and his life was forever changed.

Jesus was calling these men to leave behind everything that was familiar to them. He was calling them to sacrifice security for an unknown future. He was calling them to a life of uncertain adventure. He was calling them…

Leave behind what you know. Leave behind what you control. Leave behind yourself.

Follow Me.

Jesus’ call motivated these humble fishermen to get up and leave – immediately. They didn’t make excuses. They didn’t hesitate. They didn’t complain why it wasn’t a good time. They left at once…

Jesus is standing on the shoreline of your life. Can you see His silhouette?
He’s calling out to you.

"Come, follow Me."


Will you obey Him?

Will you throw down your net, and make your way to His feet –
at once?

Will you…


BLOG = “Blessedly Leaning On God!”

9 comments:

  1. Good teaching here, Sharon. It's essential
    that we leave ourselves behind if we want
    to press ahead with the Lord. All things
    will be made new but first we have to let
    go of the past. We have to put our hands
    to that plow and not look back.
    Blessings,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how much this one hits home this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon -

    Thank you for this rich piece.

    I love this, "Jesus had very compelling eyes."

    And " The stirring in Simon’s spirit exploded,..."

    Indeed, those statements spoke resoundingly to me, Sharon - especially "exploded." Yes, Lord!

    You asked, "Will you throw down your net, and make your way to His feet –
    at once?"

    Lord, I'm throwing down the net, the boat and the sea creatures. I'd rather walk on water with You. Lead me, please, to the way everlasting, and teach me, to be a fisher of men. Let us your people team up to win souls for Your everlasting kingdom.

    Thank you, Lord - Amen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sharon!

    Wonderful post here! Yes, what freedom and true life we receive when we are obedient to lay it all down (past, present, future) at the feet of Jesus and follow Him!

    BTW, your blog looks wonderful! I've been out of the bloggy loop alot in recent months and loved looking around your site today. Such a blessing! Oh and I love Marty!

    Also, many thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind and encouraging comment! Bless you!

    Have a blessed week!

    HE IS FAITHFUL!

    Blessings!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post. Just think back to that story and if it was us - I wonder if I would have given up all that I had and followed him. I would love to say yes, but I am not sure.

    Good afternoon! Love, sandie in snowy Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obedience is a powerful thing in our lives. I'm teaching our 2 year old Susanna all about it and realizing how wonderful life is when one obeys!

    Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy - I just love that phrase: "Hand to the plow." What you have said is so true. It's taken me a long time to let go of some things from my past. But, I've finally realized that holding on to guilt is not something God wants me to do. I must not only trust Him for salvation, but also for His total and unconditional forgiveness. The enemy wants us to stay focused on our SELVES - God says to press on and don't look back...

    Debbie - I have only one response to that, my friend. God is talking to you big time, He's calling you - it's time for you and I to leave the boat.

    Sandra - Thank you for that wonderful prayer. It echoes all that I'm feeling, all that I want. I want an "explosion" in my spirit - I DO NOT want to be satisfied anymore having one foot on shore, and one in the boat. I want to follow that familiar silhouette - I want to "leave my net" behind - I want nothing less than Him...

    Jackie - Thanks for the visit, Jackie! And for your kind words. And it just plain makes me :) when people love my dear Marty!! Your comment made me think of something - How often do I carry my burdens - from the past, present, and future - to the foot of the cross...but then, I never lay them down. Following Jesus doesn't just require coming to Him - it involves following Him when and where He leads!

    Sandie - I'm pretty sure that I would have stayed in that boat (trying to be painfully honest here). However, I felt like I've done that most of my life, and I DON'T want to continue living in that "safe, comfortable zone" anymore. So, I'm going to climb out - Lord, help me have the strength to do what I want to do - to follow You completely.

    Mary - If you can get a 2 year old to obey, you are a champion grandma!! So many people think that following Jesus requires grudging obedience. So few of us realize that obedience is the only path to complete freedom, and the abundant life Jesus promised us! Obedience is not following a bunch of rules - it is following the Freedom Maker Himself!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this, Sharon...immediate obedience...it would be nice to say that is the way I always respond, but that would be untrue...wrestling with hesitations is one of my worst downfalls...

    "Leave behind what you know. Leave behind what you control. Leave behind yourself."...thank you, thank you...I NEEDED these reminders...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen - Thank you so much for your sweet comments. I'm afraid I am in your "camp" - a hesitant, fearful follower. So, this post was for me, too. I am asking God for the courage to "step out" and leave behind my "comfort zone." I must learn how to trust His faithfulness. So glad that this was an encouraging message for you.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)