Monday, October 17, 2011

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

UFO'S.

No, it's not crazy flying saucers filled with little green men.

Sharon's Acrostic Dictionary defines it this way:

U nknown
F aces
O n
S idebar

Yes, I'm talking about all those little square-faced people that become your *followers*. I'm always fascinated by them. What stories are represented by those pint-sized faces? What struggles, what triumphs, what pain, what joy?

I have come to know some of those faces quite well. And one in particular, I just had the pleasure to meet IRL…(I know, I had to figure it out with my sons. In "textspeak" it means *in real life.* LOL)

A couple of weeks ago, Janis from Open My Ears, Lord, notified me that she and her family were going to be in my area on Sunday. Well, we met and went to church together! I can't tell you how special it was to celebrate next to a real-live UFO from Blog Land. Glorious.

I had lunch with her family afterwards. And it was like we had known each other forever. She was exactly how I pictured her – the way she spoke and acted, the things she talked about, her laugh.

I realized a wonderful thing about this blogging that we all do.

We are truly putting ourselves out there. And you really can know someone through their writing. Somehow the heart comes through…

A great truth.

Particularly when applied to God's Word. We have His writing, His actual writing in our hands. The Bible is God's Blog, so to speak. And through it, we can really know Him. All about Him. About His character, His pain, His joy, His triumphs, His love…we can know His heart.

Glorious.

You see, that's the thing about writing. It isn't just words on a page. It's the person. Janis was everything that her writing led me to know and more. I sat with her in church, and at lunch, and couldn't stop thinking – she's JUST like I knew she would be.

I believe that we can have that knowledgethat SURE knowledgeabout the Lord. And when we finally see Him face to face, He will be everything that His writing led us to knowand more…so much more.

So, I would encourage more of us to make the effort to meet IRLin real life. It's a joy worth experiencing. And if that isn't possible, trust that we ARE getting to know each other, we are forming friendships that are real and vibrant, we are bonding to each other.

Blog Land is real.

And, as we pursue the Word of God the living, breathing, vibrant Word of God we will get to know God. We will become friends with Jesus. We will connect with the Holy Spirit.

I read my Bible every day – and I hope that you do, too. It's an amazing book. And sometimes in a radical way, and sometimes in a subtle way, its words work themselves deep into my heart. They become part of my soul. They find themselves at the forefront of my mind.

To all of you, every one of you little square-faced people, I want to say thank you. Thank you for becoming my friends, my confidantes, my soul brothers and sisters. What we have is wonderful and full. There is comfort and joy in knowing that we are upheld and empowered by real people.

Janis, it was my pleasure to meet you IRL. And I hope I have the chance to meet more of you, my dear blogging friends.

In the meantime, know that I know you. I see your heart. I feel your feelings, and I cherish your faith. I hold your friendship, and your words, so very close to my heart.

Just like my Bible, my friend.

How thankful I am that God knows me completely (IRL!!), and that I am growing to know Him ever more deeply and completely through His Word.


H&K – 143 !

(Textspeak to English translation: "Hugs and kisses, I love you!")


*SIDENOTE: Won't you please join Janis and me at her blog,
Open My Ears, Lord, for our online "interview"? We think you'll enjoy it...C'mon on over! :)


Have you ever met a blogger in real life – tell me about it!


(I am also linked today with Joan at THE BEAUTY IN HIS GRIP, for "Sharing His Beauty.")


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

17 comments:

  1. Giggles...glad you translated that last line. How wonderful that the two of you were able to fellowship in the real world. I haven't met any of my bloggy friends but I did have the pleasure to actual speak to one via phone. It truly was a a blessing. Our blog connections are God connections. Have a marvelous Monday Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading Janis' post on your meeting so I had to hop over to read yours too. What a special time you too experienced. I've had the privilege of meeting about a dozen blogging friends over the years and I can echo your sentiment. You already know their heart so it's an awesome experience.

    I love a few of the phrases you wrote:
    - Blogland is real! Yes, it is.
    - The Bible is God's Blog

    So glad to read this post and I look forward to reading more. I want to be one of those little square faced people on your sidebar. :)

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon - This was a terrific post! What a blessing to get to meet your blog friend IRL. :)

    It is amazing, isn't it, how well we get to know each other through our blogs.

    And how well we can get to know our Friend who sticks closer than a brother through his word.
    Blessings to you - Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon!

    I love that God knows us IRL!! And that we can come to know Him through His word and presence in our lives. I, too, have experienced such joy getting to know fellow bloggers out there. Though I haven't met any IRL yet, I know that someday I will. Blessings to you this Monday and thanks for linking up for Sharing His Beauty!

    Fondly, One of the Square Faced People!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you lucky and blessed duck. I have had the honor of meeting some gals myself and it is wonderful and yes the friendships are real!

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this posts. I had a dilly of a time getting here! I think it's just wonderful that you met and that you hit it off so well. We will too, when we meet at the Mississippi for our joint retreat, "Golden Girls on Wheels".

    Just don't be jealous 'cause I look so much like Betty Grable. Most of the time, folks can't take their eyes off of me. It's uncanny, the resemblance... What a curse.

    I loved what you said about Jesus being exactly like what we've read. That might be one of your very best comments yet.

    I'll be heading to Sunday's post now. Good LORD willing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool that you got to meet a fellow blogger, Sharon! It is a neat experience indeed! I've met two, one where I used to live in the Temecula area and then another who lives in Arizona, but her family was coming to Disneyland two years back so we met up there and have seen each other twice seen then. Who knows, maybe we will meet up some time seeing we are in the same geographic location!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sharon,
    What a wonderful post, I so enjoyed reading it. My last blog, is about blogging too.

    I have never met a blogging friend, have spoken to one on the telephone. It would be great to meet some of you in IRL, but you are all many miles away across the water. Maybe I should change that to most of you are miles away across the water and yes actually somebody has joined my blog, whom I have met and she attends my church.
    I never cease to wonder though that folks many many miles away, in different time zones, can via messenger and emails, correspond with me in real time and seem as if they are in my flat with me. Jesus of course is always by my side and for that I am eternally and extremely grateful.

    God Bless - Nita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh - Sharon - I soooo agree! I can't put into words what it has meant to me to connect in Blogland with YOU and so many other Godly and lovely women - kindred spirits all!

    Can't imagine how we could ever meet IRL - we'd need Debbie and her motor mouth along for laughs - but don't you believe for a moment that she looks like Betty Grable. In light of her most recent post, she's named the legs of her new dining room table Betty Grable - and I would hazard a guess that she's a sight better than random table legs!

    Meanwhile - we shall continue our joyful close encounters each week - I look so forward to catching up with you daily - knowing my friend Sharon will be sharing God!!!

    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sharon:

    I have certainly enjoyed getting to know you through blogging.

    I think we need a blogging retreat where we can all get together, share stories, fellowship with one another, and worship! Wouldn't that be fun?

    I hope to meet some bloggers in person someday, so if you ever make it to Texas...let me know. Likewise, I will if I ever come to California.

    Heading over the Janis's right now.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to meeting you IRL someday too. I just came across this quote...
    When you read God's Word, you must constantly be saying to yourself, "It is talking to me, and about me." --Soren Kierkegaard And He talks to me IRL, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon~Your post is full of joy and enthusiasm and is was delightful to read--even knowing what we were posting about today. You are soooo gifted in the way you word things and tie ideas together, my friend!
    As we talked back and forth this weekend, I had the same thought about God and His word, That reading His word is like reading someone's blog but someday I'll see Him IRL--face to face, like Moses did, "like a friend speaks to His friend." (I think that sort of quotes the Scripture)
    Just imagine the joy we shared meeting face to face and how multiplied that will be when we see Him!!!
    I love your acrostic! It wouldn't be you without one. And now, I'm no longer unknown:)
    You are the person your writing reveals. Your heart brims with the love of the Lord, the knowledge of His Word, the compassion and sensitivity to those who touch your life here in Blog Land and IRL. I am blessed to call you, "Friend."
    What a wonderful experience we have shared.
    Blessings to you, (now that I'm finally home from word),
    Hugs from me,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my. I must be really tired! I just reread my comment--with all of its mistakes. DITSY IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

    By the way, the Scripture is, "The Lord would speak to Moses, face to face, the way one speaks to a friend." Exodus 33:11a.

    Isn't that AWESOME??!!

    Me, again

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know the joy of meeting other bloggers and it's such a thrill. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE THIS Sharon and Janis' also!!! :0)

    And I ditto many of the sentiments above and even a little jealousy... because I don't get to meet you and the others IRL!

    I couldn't help but notice... no UFOS... I looked and looked.

    You say that you are short and sassy but the photo with Janis' shows you as tall... or Janis is really short!

    I so enjoyed this one and Janis to get to know you in a personal way and as always, your style is one of such wit and humor!

    Without having a REAL LIFE ENCOUNTER... there are some bloggers that I feel like I've met and they have embraced me in such a loving way I am content to know them through BLOG Land... I love so much in this but my favorite part is God's Bible being HIS BLOG!!! Love this... and so glad that you shared what H & K 143 means...
    BFF... without having met you, I sense such a kinship and camaraderie... I'm glad that you and Janis had this chance!

    Passing by quickly today from my neighborhood cyber because of WFW... and just had to catch up with at least one of yours... and leave a comment! I was looking for your Weds. one... but this will do for now! Missing you but your ABIDING comments are enriching my reading... thank you!
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with this and am grateful for them and the stories they reprent. Hope you are having a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Sharon, The beautiful story you and Janis have shared shows that God is at work (in)RL. Hugz! Kerrie

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)