Saturday, October 8, 2011

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!"

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

"...[The Holy Spirit] will witness to our sonship; he will enthrone Christ as king of our life; will keep the self-life in the place of death; will give us a hunger for the things of God; he will give power in witness-bearing.

In order to have a strong and blessed Christian experience, the one thing is to see that we do not grieve the Spirit.

...we may greatly limit and restrain his gracious work by insincerity of speech, the nursing of an unforgiving spirit, any kind of over-reaching or fraudulent dealing, impurity of speech, or failure in love.

We may be bound, so as not to be able to move our arms, by a number of cotton threads, quite as tightly as by a strong rope-thong. Let us take care not to grieve him by such inconsistencies.

Prayer: Fulfill in me, O God, those desires of goodness which thou hast created in my heart, and perfect the work of faith, that Jesus Christ may be glorified in me. Amen."

(From "Our Daily Walk" by Frederick Brotherton Meyer, c. 1840-1929)


(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

3 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed the writings and insights of
    F.B. Meyer for some time. This is another
    good word from him, Spirit inspired, as
    always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. I love how he sums it all up with the word "inconsistencies". Isn't that really just IT in a nutshell? That the rest of our body parts might be inconsistent with our walk?

    I recently heard a wonderful sermon on lying to, grieving, and quenching the Spirit. This follows it very well.

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)