Wednesday, October 5, 2011

THE DRILL TEAM

Back when I was in high school – (I got there by covered wagon) – I was a member of the drill team.

Now, I'm talking about when drill team meant DRILL team – not a glorified dance team. I never would have made a "dance" drill team. I have absolutely no rhythm. I don't know if any of you ever watched "Seinfeld" or not – but I dance even worse than Elaine…

Think gawky ostrich in a blender…OK, that's not quite right…in a windstorm. (Sorry, Mr. Ostrich…)

So, my drill team was a drill team. We marched behind the school band in parades. We had a very difficult routine that involved all sorts of intricate patterns and arm movements. We would weave in and out amongst ourselves, while executing the routine with precision.

And we got judged.

You see, we weren't just *pretty dressing* that followed the band. Well, we were, yes, but we were also in competition, too.

Yup, we didn't just mess around – we competed.

And we were evaluated in many categories. Creativity of the routine, how precise and crisp the moves were executed, the cleanliness and appearance of our uniforms, the unison of our marching, the alignment of our rank and file.

We were good. We always placed, as I recall, and we won several times, too. Awards ceremonies were pretty crazy. Think of a room (chicken coop) full of high school girls (clucking hens) suddenly learning that they had won an award. Let me tell you, the murmur of clucking quickly turned into a cacophony of cackling!!

All very exciting.

So what has me thinking about this today?

Well, I'm picturing the Body of Christ as a drill team. Am I stretching it too much here? Hang with me…

Aren't we all following after the marching band of other believers that have come before us? And aren't we all following after the Drum Major, Jesus, who's leading the whole thing?

Haven't we, the drill team, had to learn the intricate and complicated pattern of Christian life? Learning how to weave in and out amongst ourselves, while executing our faith journey with precision?

Yes, and we are being judged.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down…" (Hebrews 12:1)

And really, if you think about it, every day we live as a follower of Jesus it really and truly is Parade Day.

So, how do we look?

Is our routine creative and interesting?

Do we move in precision, with the crispness of the Holy Spirit's guidance?

Are our uniforms clean – do they have an excellent appearance?

Are we marching in unison – weaving in and out, yes – but always with a purpose, an intentional pattern?

And how does the rank and file look?

Are we in alignment with Scripture, with Jesus' example?

You know, my parents came to every parade that I was in. They would line up on the streets with hundreds of other people. And when our drill team marched by, they saw two things.

One, they saw a cohesive team, impressive in its unity and excellence.

And two, they saw each individual face.

And then, of course, they saw MY face…

I'll never forget hearing, distinctly and loudly –

"HEY, Sharon!! WOO HOO!!"

And though I didn't break my stride, I'd hold my head up a little higher and I'd smile with the very biggest grin I could muster.

It's the same with God.

He's also watching the parade. After all, He's the One who determined the parade route, from beginning to end. And He's the One who put together the drill team. He made up the intricate routine. He's the One who's waiting to see how we execute it.

You know what?? Let's make Him proud.

When He looks at us marching by, let's show Him a cohesive team, impressive in its unity and excellence.

Because He sees each individual face…

And as YOU pass by, He says, "HEY, (put YOUR name here)!! WOO HOO!!"

That's worth our effort, isn't it?!

That’s worth holding our heads up high and smiling a very big grin…


How are you marching in Body of Christ?


Come join me for a cup of Jesus!
Hosted by Joan at the GRACE CAFE.


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

12 comments:

  1. Yes...good word for my day! Thanks...I am listening for His voice and His cheer...as I continue to press toward the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love the way you get a thought and connect the spiritual dots! And yes, the more this journey progresses, the more I want to hear my name and see His smile!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl - you really gave me some good things to think about tonight. As usual. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon! I couldn't find a link to your e-mail, so I'm posting this here...I hope you don't mind! I'm trying to get the word out to fellow bloggers who may have had difficulty posting comments on my blog or other Blogger blogs. I discovered that Internet Explorer (and more specifically, IE9) has a glitch when it comes to posting comments on blogs in Google's Blogger. I was really frustrated yesterday trying to post a comment your blog, so I did a little research. In a web forum it was suggested to switch browsers. So, I did - problem solved! When I used Google's Chrome, I was able to post without any problem. (This doesn't apply to Word Press, of course). I'm thinking that maybe Internet Explorer and Google are having a little "spat" or something. Anyway, please let me know if you have trouble posting on my blog and if you do, if it is fixed by going through another browser.

    I'm going to spread this news to others as well.

    Ok...Now I'm going to read your post and make a real comment!

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I'm so glad to be on the team with Jesus as the Drum Major!! Great analogy -- I'm going to remember it as I strive to keep in step with Him!

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all pumped up, Sharon! Yep, I'm marching in the Lord's team!! I love your analogy and it reminds me that we are God's ambassadors here on earth; we need to represent him the best we can, just like you represented your drill team the best you could!! Do they even still have drill teams these days? I remember our school's and it was "poetry in motion" watching them perform!

    hope you are enjoying some rain!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your writing style, I can so clarly visualise everything that you say. Not being American but having watched many US film, programs etc. I can understand what you mean. So many things to think about here hmmmmmmmmmmm... where to start????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Sharon, I love that mind picture -- God cheering for me. I'll carry this one in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful one! I didn't know this was here. I thought I was keeping up, too.

    I relate to this since I was in (yeah... I'll admit it...) the marching band. I was also the mother of a band geek. I get the parade analogy and love it.

    Of course, the only thing that I could think while reading this was about the time that I was so busy FAKING a song in a parade that I lost myself in the "show" and got completely out of step.

    Wouldn't you think that FAKING would be less taxing than learning the music? No. Making it look real takes a little creativity. And that creativity caused me to be about three feet away from the rest of my line when the band director spotted me.

    It. Was. Not. My. Best. Moment.

    And it really does relate to your post, when you think about it.
    Doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the analogy you used here. Remember the little song we sang as children, "I'm in the King's Army"?

    Yes, I want to march in unison - behind the Drum Major who will never send us in the wrong direction.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon - I'm laughing at this one! You have to know that when you paint a picture such as this in an imagination like mine - well - all I could see was the Sunday School illustration of Jesus marching down Main Street in his robe with a Drum Major baton and strutting with all the anointing of Heaven - and then - a "cloud of witnesses" floating behind him. Oh, help! Didn't see that coming!
    But, too true - you have woven together an intricate metaphor to rival your drill team in intricate maneuvers! Well done!
    Introspection, to be sure. O, that I am found worthy to be in the parade . . .
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes Sharon...from one cheerleader to the drill team in you, this is WONDERFUL! (I missed this among others but as I noticed this, I realized even late, it deserves feedback...from another part of the Body)! Once again a great correlation and analogy...WOO HOO...we're in the Lord's army!

    Love how you illustrate us vividly and from the looks of it, so did the others! I like imagining Jesus as Kathryn did... much easier than military battle fatigues and warfare! Another keeper! Thanks Sharon... for helping me see that I can hold my head up high and hear the High Calling of the Drum major leading us on that narrow and more treacherous path to High Places.

    Love and peace,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)