Sunday, June 5, 2011

BIBLE PICK 'EMS - Giving All You've Got

I own a solid gold necklace. It is a beautiful piece of jewelry.

And it's heavy – literally!

The price of gold is currently around $1500 an ounce. So this necklace would definitely be, as they say, *worth its weight in gold!* It’s a treasureand it would be quite a gift if I gave it away, wouldn't it?

Now what if I showed you two pennies – two tarnished, beat-up pennies? They've been sitting in a dish of spare change for who knows how long. They're not worth much. In fact, in today's economy, they're probably not even worth two cents!

Back in the day, they could buy something – a piece of candy or such. But now, the penny is so worthless, we don't even like having them rattling around in our pockets. Many stores have little trays where you can "take a penny, leave a penny." If you don't want your pennies with you, leave them.

So, giving away these two pennies wouldn’t be much of a gift, would it?

Today’s "Bible Pick ‘Ems" is a story about a woman who gave something away…

"While Jesus was in the Temple, he watched the rich people dropping their gifts in the collection box. Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small coins. 'I tell you the truth,' Jesus said, 'this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them. For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has.'" (Luke 21: 1-4)

Jesus was in the area of the Temple called the Court of Women. In this area were seven boxes in which worshipers could deposit the Temple tax and six boxes for freewill offerings. It appears that Jesus continued watching the giving for some time, and He observed a number of wealthy persons making gifts.

This woman gave a freewill offering of two mites. At the time, a mite was the smallest of copper coins, normally equal to just 1/8 of a cent! Though it might seem that her offering was small, her gift was a sacrifice, for it was all that she had.

Today, I'm not going to talk about financial givingI'd like to expand the story beyond the issue of money.

The question I would like to pose is this – What are you giving to God of YOURSELF?

The issue here is not that the woman had given more as to value and substancebut that she had cast in more in proportion to what she had.

Her gift was counted as more by Christ, and more highly valued and esteemed by Him, because Jesus – the One who sees the heart, and knows all things – knew that she had given FROM HER HEART.

Yes, my friends, the Lord desires no greater gift than the gift of yourself. He is to be loved with all your powers and capabilities. He doesn't want offerings – He wants you to KNOW Him and to LOVE Him.

Mark 12:29 sums up this greatest gift: "The LORD our God is the one and only LORD. And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength."

Jesus uses the poor widow's offering to teach an important lesson.

A gift is not to be evaluated by its size, but by a comparison of the gift with the total possessed by the giver.


In the secret, innermost part of your heart, have you laid your life on the altar? Have you presented everything you have to Him?

May God help us to be like this faithful woman as we give our hearts in His name.


"When in doubt, search God out!"

11 comments:

  1. "A gift is not to be evaluated by its size, but by a comparison of the gift with the total possessed by the giver."

    I love the way you summed it up here. I also love the way it sort of streams from our fan the flame post from Friday.

    I'll be thinking about this throughout the day.
    What I'm thinking at this moment is not just about the gifts or talents that He might have given but even my personal inclinations.

    For example, I'm a highly passionate person. Let's just say that my passion storehouse is like your gold necklace. Does my passion sacrifice go beyond a passion tithe, beyond a passion offering, to giving ALL of the passion that I have?

    Or am I saving some of that passion for other things?

    Very convicting.
    As I said, I'll be thinking about this one today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great story Sharon. I used to feel like I had nothing to give.....but He's shown me even a smile can lighten someone's day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. thought provoking, Sharon; I can honestly say there are times (probably lots of times) that I haven't given my very all to him and do hold back my innermost heart and thoughts. Good reminder to surrender ALL to Jesus!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post...meat to eat on this week...I feel right now I am giving a pouring out offering, pouring out all of me on the altar to be consumed...I am wondering how much I am holding back.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so thankful God treasures the widow's mite! Thanks for sharing this lovely post. Blessings from Spiritual Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of weeks ago my grandson and two other 7 year old boy were sitting in front of us at church. The only little boy had money from his mom to but in the plate but when the plate came he decided to keep the dollar. Even though this but a little smile on my face because it was kinda cute, I know it's not and I sure the mom was not happy when she found out.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this. (But what else is new? I always do when I come here!) It reminds me of a job interview I had years ago...one of the questions was "How do you define success?" To me, that answer was easy - "living up to my God-given abilities and talents" - using them in every way possible to do His Good. He has given me SO much and I have that much to give.

    "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

    I have such a deep desire to give of *myself*, now I just need to figure out *how* (you know, with 3 small kids in tow - excuses, excuses!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have I put it all on the altar? Probably not. I'm sure I'm holding back something for me to control. Yet, I wouldn't hold back a portion of a gift that I was giving to a friend for her birthday.
    I guess the secret here is--do I trust Him enough to abandon it all. Or am I holding back in fear?

    Your posts are always thought provoking, Sharon.

    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon,

    Excellent post, challenging and with much "food for thought"

    Hope you have a good week.

    God Bless - Nita

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always do give us plenty to think about and mull over!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello everyone!

    Thank you for joining me this Sunday.

    Debbie - I like what you said about sacrificing all of our passions. That is so true, but probably one of the hardest things to do. As you know, I've spent this year trying to give Him my dreams...it's so, so difficult.

    Nikki - Oh amen to what you said! I visit an assisted living facility on Fridays - and I continue to be humbled by the impact a handshake and a smile has on these dear elderly people.

    Betty - I was just talking to a friend yesterday about holding on to our deepest thoughts and feelings. I pointed out that God knows all of them anyway, and that's the part He wants us to share with Him. To open up completely, and give Him ALL of it - that's when true relationship exists.

    Janette - I understand those moments of pouring out. Usually mine involve lots of crying. And somehow, those flowing tears are the last thing that I'm holding back. Praying for you...

    Renee Ann - WELCOME! Thanks so much for visiting from Spiritual Sundays, and for leaving such a thoughtful comment. We have an awesome God - and yes, He sees every gift from our hearts, and treasures them deeply.

    Ginger - OK, yes, Mom probably wasn't happy, but that is a delightful story! :) The innocence and honesty of kids - how it teaches me. Yes, I've had some (many) times in my life when I've decided to "keep the dollar." It's better when I give it to the Lord!

    Jennie - Loved the interview story! Yes, that is a perfect definition of success. But, if you really stop and think about it, you're using many of your talents raising those sidekicks of yours. I know it doesn't seem like it - I understand how menial it all seems at times - but trust me, God is watching, and valuing highly what you're doing right now.

    Janis - Yes, it all comes back to trust. Oh, how I wish I could tackle that trust/worry issue once and for all. It's only lately that I've begun to realize that God wants me to give Him my worries, too. They are part of what He wants me to sacrifice.

    Nita - I've been chewing on these issues of giving it all, trusting Him completely, and He's teaching me many new things. I'm glad that this post encouraged you.

    Sandie - I try! I think God just really wants to expand our idea of giving beyond the financial. He wants our time and talents, too. But most of all, I really think He wants us to give ourselves - the worries, the cares, the dreams, the hopes - all of it to Him.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)