Wednesday, June 29, 2011

SAD HAPPENS

Today I feel sad.

No particular reason…I just do.

Sometimes *sad* happens to me like June Gloom…a curiously Southern California phenomenon. Basically, a cold, gray marine layer blankets the sky until late afternoon. Sometimes, the sun never quite makes it out at all. This goes on for days, sometimes weeks…

Blah.

So, there's no explanation for this cold, dreary weather front in my soul. It's just there – blanketing everything.

I hesitated writing this post. I like being upbeat, encouraging, positive – and even downright inspiring once in a while.

But, right now, I don't have it in me.

I think this post should have been titled, "I Got Nothing – Part Two."

So, Lord – here I am in front of a computer screennot "feeling it" – what do you want me to say?

"Tell them what happened last night."

Oh. Yeah.

OK, here's what happened.

When I get these "moods" I don't usually feel like doing much of anything. I am "She Who Is Unable To Be Pleased." I don't want to write and I don't want to read. TV is stupid and boring. I don't want to go outside, and I don't feel like sitting around. I'm not hungry, and I could eat a horse – a chocolate one, just sayin'…

Truthfully, I also don't feel like writing or visiting any blogs how crummy is that?? But, I did see on my blog list last night that a close friend had a new post. She doesn't post that often, so I like to read and leave a comment for her whenever she does.

So, I hopped on over...

She wrote about *over-thinking* things – it was really good – even though I never do that. HA! Who am I kidding?!

In leaving her a comment, a verse came to my mind, and so I included that. (Tell you more about that in a moment…)

After posting the comment, I closed my laptop, and moped.

Now I know that this is not a "God-honoring" place to be. And I don't like the concerted determination that tends to creep into my heart – "I'm going to hold on to this mood no matter what."

So, desperate to cling on to something other than "grayness" – I decided to do a "Bible Pick ‘Ems." For those of you who don't know, it's when I randomly open up my Bible and read the two pages I've turned to – in trust that God will have something to say to me(and also hoping that I don't end up in Leviticus).

Do you know that I turned to the VERY SAME verses that I had just used in my friend's blog comment??

Yes, God had a GOOD Word for me – (the Scripture I will share with you tomorrow) – and His comfort came to me in two ways.

One, the verses themselves were inspiring and precious. They reached my heart as if God had said them out loud.

And second, I realized that God was behind this *coincidence* it's as if His hand reached out and touched me.

Sad happens.

It happened to many people we consider our *pillars of faith* – Moses and David, Job and Elijah – even Jesus Himself got discouraged and sad.

But, even in the cold, gray, dreary depths of saddened heartsGod is the sun that's still shining…

And His Son shines through the darkness.


Have you ever had "sad" just happen to you out of the blue?
(No pun intended!)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

12 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon, In answer to your question, yes, I have had sad happen for no good reason to me. But sad can be turned to glad when we listen to that good word God has for us. I look forward to reading what God had to share with you. With love and care from Kerrie. xOx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon,

    Yes I too, have had sad happen to me for no good reason, anxiety also. I am not depressed currently, but someone at my group, just asked what is depression (she wasn't asking me) but I answered I can tell you what it is, its being in a big black hole, that you cannot climb out of. I surprised myself somewhat saying this, I am not normally that open about my depressed feelings. Guess, I second what Kerrie has said, sad can be turned to glad and God has and does, reach down and lift me from that pit. Will keep you in thought and prayer.

    Hugs - Nita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon:

    Sad happens to me also and like you, I don't want to write, I don't want to blog, I don't want to visit other blogs...basically I don't want to do anything.

    But don't you just love it when God does things like showing you the scripture verse from more than one source? I call those "God Moments". And when that happens I know He has a message for me and I'd best listen.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sharon, sadness has been a visitor at my place quite often and find myself having the do nothing too. Good thing is that it passes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...yes. But you knew that, didn't you? Sad sort of hangs around me at times. He lurks in corners and under my bed. He will jump out at me and just sort of put his net around me and drag me in. He leaves an unexplainable feeling deep in my heart, or maybe it's my throat. When I have the net over me, I can't rightly tell.

    Don't call the men in the little white jackets. I know what it is...

    I'm so glad that God saw Sadness lurking with his ever present net and stepped in last night to SHOW you that he will never leave you in the net without a plan, a "coincidence" and a Word that cuts through that net like separating bone and marrow.

    Does it help that I pray for you? I hope so.

    And I'm curious (read, nosy) about which blog...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhhhhhhhh now this makes me sad... this June gloom and YOU!!! ohhh Sharon, when I read this I prayed and now I prayed again. When you posted this, "I got nothing" but prayed for the cloud to lift or that God would be in that cloud for you and reveal something precious. Then this morning, I prayed and came back again to read the comments of other "sads" and what they had to say, not finding any encouragement except the comfort of knowing others empathize with being sad. Well, that's not completely true, some of their words could be encouragement. I'm so glad that God's coincidence showed up but I'm holding out for more... let's add these to yours:

    Psalm 27:4-5
    One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.

    Psalm 30:5
    Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.


    Bible Verses for Sadness

    It's morning and the sun wants to shine, so let the sun shine in...face it with a grin... open up your heart and let the SON shine in...

    See, you got it right at the end... now keep seeking the SON and let the sadness lift, and the gladness come...

    Love,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do have sad suddenly happen to me, Sharon, and I have come to figure out if I have a great devotional time with Jesus in prayer and his word, usually sad is going to happen sometime soon; or after a great spiritual victory, sad will come. Its like the enemy is trying to take away our happiness. Yet Jesus knows we will go through those periods and his word is always there for us with reminders like he gave you. I can't wait to see what the verse was. It is neat when you have confirmation about something like this in your readings, interactions with others, etc. Definitely not a coincidence!

    I so understood June Gloom :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you know what Sharon - we have all felt like this - and if people say they haven't - it's not true.

    We are only human. God knows that. So tomorrow you will be happy.

    Life is always going round ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon -

    We all have our sad moments but thanks be unto GOD that He lifts us as only HE can!

    Psalm 89:9 - KJV
    Thou rulest the raging of the sea: when the waves thereof arise, thou stillest them.

    Psalm 92:4 - KJV
    For thou, Lord, hast made me glad through thy work: I will triumph in the works of thy hands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't have June Gloom here in central GA, unless you count the thick fog of oppressive humidity and heat. I've sure been blaming that. Funny how we can just be sad for no apparent reason (at the same time even). Well, not "funny" haha...but ironic, I guess.

    I've lost my pen lately. Or my keyboard. But I'm hoping it comes back to me. In the meantime, I'm back to the Word. If I can't find inspiration there, I won't be able to find it anywhere.

    Sad happens, but no matter how dark we feel when we've got the Holy Spirit inside of us, there is *always* light. ALWAYS. We simply can't stay dark forever.

    "For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

    (Seriously though, I laughed out loud at your Leviticus comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharon,
    Sorry you've been feeling sad with that June gloom. I remember it--and I'd switch it right now for this 110+ heat that drains me much like June gloom drains you. Isn't it interesting that no matter where we reside, we can crawl in a hole when we are blanketed with the blues? Praise God for His Word and His "God Moments" (as Joan says) that pull us out and put us back on the road of serving Him again.
    May He fill your week with His joy and secret surprises.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest friends,

    Thank you so much for stopping by - and for leaving such very encouraging words. They were like a balm to my soul. It was good to know that this "sad out of nowhere" feeling happens to others - but even better (the best) to know that God doesn't leave us alone - not ever. He is there at the mountaintop, and He is there in the valley.

    I'm feeling better - nothing serious, just a random and transitory *blah* - and the Lord is still close by.

    Love to you all - and GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)