Saturday, June 18, 2011

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!”

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

"The only way of relief for a sin-entangled soul, is by applying to God alone. Many things present themselves as diversions, many things offer themselves as remedies, but the soul finds that the Lord alone can heal. And until men are sensible of the guilt of sin, and quit all to come at once to God, it is in vain for them to expect any relief...

Why is it that these matters are so long uncertain with them? Is it not from sloth and despondency that they content themselves with common and customary applications to God?

Then let us stand up and be doing; it must be done, and it is attended with safety. We are to humble ourselves before God...

It is our unspeakable comfort that there is forgiveness with him, for that is what we need. Jesus Christ is the great Ransom; he is ever an Advocate for us, and through him we hope to obtain forgiveness."


"But you offer forgiveness, that we might learn to fear you."
- Psalms 130:4, NLT


(From "Daily Readings by Matthew Henry" by Matthew Henry, c. 1662-1714)


(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

7 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful word. Jesus is our
    Ransom and Advocate and everything else
    we need in this life. And, yes, without
    His forgiveness and love we would have
    nothing. I enjoyed this.
    Hugs,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. People find all kinds of diversions to make their lives seem meaningful. You're right. Only the Lord can actually do that. Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon,

    I love these moments you share, thank you so much my sister. I particularly enjoy the quotes from Matthew Henry, who is one of my favorite Christian authors.

    I believe that all of us since the fall of man in the garden have sought to reestablish a relationship with a loving God. The problem we encounter is that we don't know how. Because of this, we begin a quest of substitution; substituting things for God in the hope of having a fulfilling relationship. What we don't understand is that things never satisfy because there is no life in a thing. True and affirming life comes only from a relationship with Christ.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon - can't tell you how this hit home today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes,we are to humble ourselves.I praise the Lord for all of his forgiveness.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Matthew Henry. I generally use him in verse by verse commentary so it is a treat for me to read him addressing a particular topic.

    Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy - So glad you enjoyed this. Yes, those two names of Jesus are the best. He was our Ransom - He paid our price. And because of that, He is the perfect Advocate for us. I can just picture Him saying to the Father (after the enemy stands accusing me) - "No, she stands under My Righteousness - she belongs to me." Oh, such love...

    Charlotte - Thank you for your comment. You're so right. I actually think that it is the devil's mission in life to distract us from God. He more often than not uses subtle means - not outright evil. For most people, it's the distracting things that tempt one to think that fulfillment is found somewhere else besides in the Lord.

    MTJ - I love sharing, and I so appreciate your comments. They are always so insightful. I have to agree, Matthew Henry is a profoundly interesting writer, and I also love his words. I loved how you called this distraction thing a "quest of substitution." That was so true. We are made with a God-sized hole in our hearts - and when man tries to reach God on his own, he reaches for substitutes - substitutes that the enemy will be more than happy to provide. Only God fulfills - only God...

    Sandie - Oh, how wonderful! I love when God speaks a timely word. May you be blessed with the unspeakable comfort that comes only from our Savior.

    Ginger - Yes, humbling ourselves is the first step. We have to be able to admit we're wrong. Then of course, a humble heart is one that can be convicted by the Holy Spirit. Conviction leads to confession and repentance - and then the miraculous healing work of God's forgiveness. Through Jesus, we hope...

    Debbie - I know that he's one of your favorites. I have this little devotional book filled with daily thoughts from him. It's a great resource, and as you said, gives a different insight into Henry's works besides his terrific commentaries. Oh, the joy of forgiveness - I have been given that from God and from humans - there is nothing quite so meaningful and restoring.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)