Saturday, June 25, 2011

QUAINT WORDS

Welcome to "Quaint Words!”

These posts will contain thoughts, poems, and prayers from old books that I have found at antique stores, flea markets, and garage sales (with an occasional treasure from a bookstore).

I love the rhythm and sound of the older English language, and am blessed by other believers who have gone before me!

"Note that the Lord of angels does not come and go, and pay us transient visits, but he and his armies encamp around us. The head-quarters of the army of salvation are where those live whose trust is in the living God. This camp surrounds the faithful, so that they cannot be attacked from any quarter...

We have a fixed protection, a permanent watch...we shall not be surprised by sudden assaults, nor swallowed up by overwhelming forces.

Deliverance is promised...deliverance by the great Captain of our salvation, and that deliverance we shall obtain again and again until our warfare is accomplished and we exchange the field of conflict for the home of rest."

(From "Daily Readings by C. H. Spurgeon" by Charles Haddon Spurgeon, c. 1834-1892)


(A listing of books and authors, and also dates of individual postings from those books, will be found on my "QUAINT WORDS" page)


BLOG = "Blessedly Leaning On God!"

6 comments:

  1. I think I've said a hundred times or so that he's my favorite.

    I have been on an uninvited shut down that started before I could even leave for an anniversary getaway. So.... I'm slowly getting back to the land of the living. I'm trying to catch up.

    Seeing CHS as your quaint word speaker was a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon,

    Thanks for sharing this quote from Spurgeon. Reading it this morning blessed me as I pondered the promise of what lies ahead:

    "Deliverance is promised...deliverance by the great Captain of our salvation, and that deliverance we shall obtain again and again until our warfare is accomplished and we exchange the field of conflict for the home of rest."

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this encouraging post. Deliverance is promised. I like that. And we know the one who promised it cannot lie. This is such blessed assurance.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. This camp surrounds the faithful, so that they cannot be attacked from any quarter~~What a wonderful thought!
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. So reassuring, Sharon. He will handle all that concerns me until the spiritual warfare is over. It is comforting to know that He surrounds us with a fixed protection. There are no surprises. I can rest in that.
    And thank you so much for your guest post while I was gone. Thank you, too, for your thoughtful comments on my other posts during that time.
    You are a special blogging friend.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie - I hope good old CHS cheered you up. Hoping this was a timely word as you were assaulted by the unexpected enemy of illness!

    MTJ - What a wonderful promise we have for victory - DELIVERANCE. That speaks volumes to all the battles that come our way. We will be delivered by the One who won the victory for us.

    Charlotte - Blessed assurance. I love that phrase. When I was a little girl, I used to sing that up front in my grandparents' small country church. "Jesus is mine - O, what a foretaste of glory divine! Perfect submission, all is at rest..."

    Ginger - I just loved that image, too! It was so comforting, so fortifying. Don't we serve the best Leader of all?! The LORD of Heaven's Armies...

    Janis - I liked that idea of a fixed protection, too. No surprises on His calendar. It was my pleasure doing a guest post for you - and I hope you had a nice vacation. You are a special blogging friend to me, too!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)