Sunday, June 19, 2011

BIBLE PICK 'EMS - A Tribute to My Dad

In honor of this special day, I'm sharing a poem I wrote about my dad.


BIG SHOES

When I was small
I used to walk around
in his big shoes,
clumping through the house,
Playing, yes
but also proud of my daddy.
Strong and sure
Always there
to protect me -
Now that I have grown
It seems
that I have spent my life
Trying to follow
in his footsteps...
They are big shoes
to fill.
But he left a path behind
A character road
Footprints
of intelligence,
integrity,
honesty,
and fairness.
In following him
I have learned to be
a leader,
I have learned to be
a better person.
Through the years
some things have changed,
most have not.
I am still proud of my daddy
Strong and sure
Always there
To protect me -
And though his steps
are slowing,
They are still
worth following
And I do -
For I will always be
a young girl
Walking around
in his big shoes...

© Sharon Kirby,
June 15, 2007


HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, Dad!

Know that I have always loved you, and I always will!


***Wishing all you wonderful fathers a very Happy Father's Day!***


"Honor your father and mother. This is the first commandment with a promise: If you honor your father and mother, 'things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth.'" (Ephesians 6:2-3)


"When in doubt, search God out!"

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful tribute....I ditto it for my Dad also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, memories of walking in my Dad's shoes just came flooding back...and a photo of Elliot walking in Bruce's shoe too. Happy Father's Day, Sharon! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful tribute to your father, Sharon! I hope he has a great day and you get to spend some time with him!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely tribute to your Dad. My Daddy's shoes would be hard to fill - he was a wonderful Christian man who was generous to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I LOVE this one! It could have been written by me if I could write poetry. Dad had huge boats for shoes, and we used to like to clomp around in them, too. After he died, we just didn't know what to do with his shoes. In a million ways, we just didn't think anyone could fill them. God provided an answer one day. Maybe I'll blog about it sometime.

    You made me cry with this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful story and poem about your dad.

    I bet he was an amazing man.

    I remember at my FIL funeral - my husband forgot his shoes so he borrowed one of his dad's and the thought of finally filling his shoes hit him hard.

    Happy Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, such a beautiful tribute. My girls liked to walk in their dad's shoes when they were little. I'm thankful they can also walk in his spiritual shoes, too.

    Blessings,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sharon, Reading your beautiful words of love to your daddy has brought tears to my eyes. Sending my love as always and a special hug for your dad on this very special day. God bless you and your loved ones. With love and care from Kerrie. xOx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for joining me on Father's Day!

    I trust that it was a good day for all the dads in your life.

    To those of you who have lost your fathers, I pray that the good memories you hold are comforting. Dads are special, and they have such a special place in our hearts.

    And oh, the tremendous love of our Heavenly Father! Is there any other greater gift? He loves us so tenderly, so protectively, so fully. There is no shadow of turning or changing in Him. He watches everything we do, and intimately cares about everything we feel.

    He is the ever-present Dad - and I know you join me in gratitude for His eternal and everlasting love and presence in our lives.

    He has big shoes to fill - and we can never fill those! But, He gives us the power to fill the shoes He has created JUST FOR US to wear!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

"So [I] have been greatly encouraged in the midst of [my] troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. It gives [me] new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord. How [I] thank God for you!" (1 Thessalonians 3:7-9)

Thanks for your comments - it is such a joy to be sharing my journey with friends like YOU!

(NOTE: Anonymous comments will be removed. Thank you for understanding.)